S.20.3-15: Southern Small Business Administration Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:48:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3-15: Southern Small Business Administration Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.3-15: Southern Small Business Administration Act (Law'd)  (Read 695 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »
« edited: September 12, 2020, 01:03:17 PM by tmthforu94 »

Southern Small Business Administration Act
To establish a Southern Small Business Administration

Be it enacted by the Government of the Southern Region

1. A department shall be established called the "Southern Small Business Administration"
2. The Southern Small Business Administration shall have an annual budget of $7 billion dollars. Money shall be appropriated from regional reserves. 75% shall be used for grants and 25% used for loans.
 shall be appropriated from regional reserves.
3. The Southern Small Business Administration shall administer grants and loans under $100,000 for small businesses that have under $500,000 dollars of net revenue each year.
4. The Southern Small Business Administration shall form immediately upon the passage of this bill.

Sponsor: Tim Turner
Co-Sponsor: Tmthforu94

48 hours for debate. The sponsor is invited to advocate for the bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »

Tim Turner and I collaborated on this bill this afternoon after seeing something similar introduced by Ishan in Lincoln. Last month, the Chamber agreed to allow for a deficit in order to provide relief to those struggling from COVID-19. This bill would set up a regional SBA department to administer grants to Main Streets across the South that are struggling to stay afloat amidst the pandemic. The federal budget in the US for SBA has ranged wide, going up north of $2B. This amount is what we landed on as there is an increased need for support during the pandemic. This bill has my total support.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »

Its important that we get small businesses the support they need, especially in these difficult times. I support this bill.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »

I would prefer more of this be in grants or some sort of direct payments as opposed to loans. I feel as if government loans can generally be pretty risky because of a lack of the government's incentive to underwrite risks. Just look at how much student loan debt has been accumulated because the government did not really underwrite those risks and is generous with how it gives out loans.

Also, many small businesses make far more than $100,000 dollars. $100,000 is nothing when you have multiple employees. That value should be significantly higher. I'm thinking at least $500,000, but probably more.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »

Tim Turner and I collaborated on this bill this afternoon after seeing something similar introduced by Ishan in Lincoln. Last month, the Chamber agreed to allow for a deficit in order to provide relief to those struggling from COVID-19. This bill would set up a regional SBA department to administer grants to Main Streets across the South that are struggling to stay afloat amidst the pandemic. The federal budget in the US for SBA has ranged wide, going up north of $2B. This amount is what we landed on as there is an increased need for support during the pandemic. This bill has my total support.
I'd use my own words to formulate initial advocacy of the bill, but the Speaker's words say pretty much everything I would highlight. So there's that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »

I would prefer more of this be in grants or some sort of direct payments as opposed to loans. I feel as if government loans can generally be pretty risky because of a lack of the government's incentive to underwrite risks. Just look at how much student loan debt has been accumulated because the government did not really underwrite those risks and is generous with how it gives out loans.

Also, many small businesses make far more than $100,000 dollars. $100,000 is nothing when you have multiple employees. That value should be significantly higher. I'm thinking at least $500,000, but probably more.
Grants are included in the text, both are options. I can’t speak for Tim, but personally I’d be good with an amendment raising the limit allowed for a grant/loan.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »

Grants are included in the text, both are options. I can’t speak for Tim, but personally I’d be good with an amendment raising the limit allowed for a grant/loan.

I know, but I would like loans to be limited in some fashion.
diptheriadan

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 06:56:30 PM »

I would support raising the limit for loans/grants, as well as raising the amount that could be loaned/granted. Increasing the budget for such an administration would logically follow such changes, and it's not like we're hurting for the money to do that. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 11:46:25 PM »

Offering an amendment:

1. A department shall be established called the "Southern Small Business Administration"
2. The Southern Small Business Administration shall have an annual budget of $750 million dollars. Money shall be appropriated from regional reserves.
3. The Southern Small Business Administration shall administer grants and loans under $5100,000 for small businesses that have under $5100,000 dollars of net revenue each year.
4. The Southern Small Business Administration shall form immediately upon the passage of this bill.

24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »

The amendment is adopted, debate resumes.

Personally I'm OK with it as is, I would have faith that the regional SBA will take this debate as advice to put preference on grants, but I'm a bit lost on language that would require it, unless we just want a line that says shall administer grants and loans, with preference towards grants, under......"? Would that satisfy people more?
diptheriadan

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »

Proposing this amendment:

2. The Southern Small Business Administration shall have an annual budget of $7 billion750 million dollars. Money shall be appropriated from regional reserves.
3. The Southern Small Business Administration shall administer grants and loans under $250,000100,000 for small businesses that have under $1 million500,000 dollars of net revenue each year.

Anecdotally speaking, my father works in a small business that operates solely in Nashville. It's yearly revenue is about that of a million dollars and employs ~20 people, most working in the shop which he manages. Most of the equipment that they need to do their work costs several tens of thousands of dollars, some even exceeding a hundred thousand. That, combined with the fact that business is slowing and material is becoming harder to find and more expensive (much of it comes from overseas) is making staying afloat a challenge. His is an extreme case, but it's one I feel the bill ought to cover.

Also, apologies in advance to tmth if this kinda slaps him in the face. I wasn't sure whether to object since I wasn't against the idea of the amendment (raising the limit and quantity loaned/granted), just the specifics.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 06:23:31 PM »

No apologies necessary, thanks for offering it! I'm cool with Clause 3 though it makes me think how we can ensure accountability, I need to think carefully on Clause 2. SBA is a noble cause by $7 billion is a lot compared to the relative budget, and this needs to be factored in with other spending we will be doing related to COVID-19 relief.

24 hours for objections to Dip's amendment.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »

Just curious, where did the number $7 billion come from? Is that based on some number of small businesses we expect to qualify for loans, or was that just chosen as roughly 10 times the originally proposed amount?
diptheriadan

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 01:20:02 AM »

Just curious, where did the number $7 billion come from? Is that based on some number of small businesses we expect to qualify for loans, or was that just chosen as roughly 10 times the originally proposed amount?

There's not much data in regards to the number of small businesses based on their yearly revenue, so it's just a guess.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »

I support diptheriadan's amendment.

However, I will not be voting for this bill unless an amendment is passed that makes loans be severely limited. I do not think the government does a good job with loaning money because, as I said earlier, government's lack a direct incentive to appropriately underwrite the risk/chance of the private business not being able to pay the loan back. Government has a lack of "skin in the game" whenever it loans out money, so to speak.

I am not sure what a good restriction/guideline would be. Perhaps 75% of the money could be earmarked for grants, and 25% of the money could be earmarked for loans. But I don't necessarily think that particular restriction is good policy
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 06:58:07 PM »

Dip's amendment is adopted. DTC's recommendation is OK to me so I'll go ahead and offer the amendment, 24 hours for objections:

2. The Southern Small Business Administration shall have an annual budget of $7 billion dollars. Money shall be appropriated from regional reserves. 75% shall be used for grants and 25% used for loans.
3. The Southern Small Business Administration shall administer grants and loans under $250,000 for small businesses that have under $1 million dollars of net revenue each year.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 07:12:46 AM »

No objection.
The amendment is judged friendly.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. I am calling for a final vote.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »

No objection.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »

A final vote has started, please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.

Aye
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 12:53:08 PM »

Aye.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »

Aye
diptheriadan

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »

This has enough votes to pass, delegates have 24 hours to change their votes.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 12:31:36 AM »

aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length