Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 10:40:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?
Student

Professor

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?  (Read 2012 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2020, 04:12:56 PM »

If you're a white guy teaching a Queer Studies course you're gonna get students like this. The professor should be fired, the course should be ended, and the student should be expelled.

Why should the professor be fired? He didn't do anything wrong. Maybe the course has no value, but whatever, subjects like this are gonna be taught at liberal arts schools. And I presume he teaches other things as well.

And I don't see what the deal is with a white guy teaching a Queer Studies course, if there are gonna be such courses. Are white guys not allowed to be queer now? There is no inherent relationship between being queer and being another minority, regardless of all the "intersectionality" talk. When someone is both queer and a person of color, perhaps there's some "intersection," but one can be queer and white. And should be just as qualified to talk/teach about queer subjects as a queer person of color. It would be one thing if it was African-American Studies or something, but it's not.

And even though I don't like what the student did, trying to "cancel" the guy publicly like this, I think it would be extreme even to expel her. She should just take his advice and drop the damn class. What happened to simply not partaking in things you don't like? Why does everyone these days seem to feel entitled to force the world to conform to their desires, rather than just sucking it up or moving on when it doesn't?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2020, 04:26:04 PM by #prayforsteve »

So the cost per credit at this school is $1333. I looked up my alma matter currently, it's $281 for Minnesota residents or residents of qualifying reciprocity states, $604 for out of state residents. This school is a scam.
$1333 is not out of the ordinary at all. (extortionate, yes) Some rough comparisons with state research universities I just looked at:

Pitt: $1360
Penn State: $1531
Michigan State: $1312
Maryland: $1456
Ohio State: $1380
Washington: $1295

Didn't look at U of M, but I'll bet it's up there with its Midwestern peers.

$1333 is 10% of max. annual tuition for UK students. I don’t know how many credits US students typically take in a year, but I would imagine it’s a lot more than 10. And people complain about our tuition fees over here...

Those are out-of-state tuition figures at major state research universities. Only a small minority of students in the US pay that kind of tuition at a public university. I only used them as an example to compare with the presumably private college that this thread was created about. In-state tuition at more teaching-oriented state universities are generally going to be closer to the figures BRTD quoted.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »

So the cost per credit at this school is $1333. I looked up my alma matter currently, it's $281 for Minnesota residents or residents of qualifying reciprocity states, $604 for out of state residents. This school is a scam.
$1333 is not out of the ordinary at all. (extortionate, yes) Some rough comparisons with state research universities I just looked at:

Pitt: $1360
Penn State: $1531
Michigan State: $1312
Maryland: $1456
Ohio State: $1380
Washington: $1295

Didn't look at U of M, but I'll bet it's up there with its Midwestern peers.

$1333 is 10% of max. annual tuition for UK students. I don’t know how many credits US students typically take in a year, but I would imagine it’s a lot more than 10. And people complain about our tuition fees over here...

Those are out-of-state tuition figures at major state research universities. Only a small minority of students in the US pay that kind of tuition at a public university. I only used them as an example to compare with the presumably private college that this thread was created about. In-state tuition at more teaching-oriented state universities are generally going to be closer to the figures BRTD quoted.

Thanks for clarifying. Of course US universities are still generally more expensive than the UK, and here tuition is the same at every university, no matter how big or prestigious it is.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 04:38:23 PM »

Obviously the professor, haha.  My mom is a professor of education at a liberal arts college, and some of these whackadoodle kids need psychiatric help, this nutjob included.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »

What is truly distressing is most of the comments are supportive of the student. Twitter is a strange place; in many ways I think it encourages a lot of people's worse impulses by misleading them into thinking they have a lot more support for even their worst/most fringe views.

And the follow up where she threatens to "report his white ass." For what, exactly?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 05:05:37 PM »

The student is a obviously a Karen, right?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »

Not the student.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2020, 12:15:43 PM »

Ending the email with reccommending the student drop the course was a little condescending but yeah otherwise I think the professor seemed perfectly reasonable. In either case both parties are more reasonable than the elitist weirdos on this site who think this course shouldn't be taught
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »

Ending the email with reccommending the student drop the course was a little condescending but yeah otherwise I think the professor seemed perfectly reasonable. In either case both parties are more reasonable than the elitist weirdos on this site who think this course shouldn't be taught

Ah yes, the elitists are the ones who don't have $30,000 to spend on "queer studies" classes. Gotcha!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »

Ah yes, the elitists are the ones who don't have $30,000 to spend on "queer studies" classes. Gotcha!
The cost of any college class in the United States is outrageous, that's not what people are singling this class out for
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »

The cost of any college class in the United States is outrageous, that's not what people are singling this class out for

Because its both expensive and useless?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »

"Queer studies" is retarded, but it's hard to side with the student when she's written blatantly anti-white sh**t like this:

I have a feeling if the professor was a "black indigenous trans POC" or whatever she probably wouldn't give a rat's ass
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »

I admit that I have a difficult time understanding many LGBT issues (except fashion Smiley), and I also admit that I sometimes still think intolerantly on these issues, but I think it's sad that "queer studies" has become such a punching bag here. All social sciences, including much-beloved ones here like economics, linguistics, political science, arguably even business, are essentially the study of a facet of people or societies. Why is it less legitimate, in principle, to instead of study one facet of society, but to study a group within society? The only logical reason, to my mind, that one could reach such a conclusion, would be if you deemed that group not worth studying.

It's not your money, it's not your education, it's not your life. I think it's very disrespectful to dismiss a class on queer studies just because you have no interest in it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2020, 05:15:28 PM »

I admit that I have a difficult time understanding many LGBT issues (except fashion Smiley), and I also admit that I sometimes still think intolerantly on these issues, but I think it's sad that "queer studies" has become such a punching bag here. All social sciences, including much-beloved ones here like economics, linguistics, political science, arguably even business, are essentially the study of a facet of people or societies. Why is it less legitimate, in principle, to instead of study one facet of society, but to study a group within society? The only logical reason, to my mind, that one could reach such a conclusion, would be if you deemed that group not worth studying.

It's not your money, it's not your education, it's not your life. I think it's very disrespectful to dismiss a class on queer studies just because you have no interest in it.

College as a whole has become an objectionable method of consigning young people to debt and poverty, but it takes a special kind of callousness to take their money while teaching them no useful skills in the process.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2020, 05:32:13 PM »

College as a whole has become an objectionable method of consigning young people to debt and poverty, but it takes a special kind of callousness to take their money while teaching them no useful skills in the process.

We are literally talking about one course that is one of many liberal arts offerings at this college. Students learn about a subject, gain experience in forming and articulating their own opinions on it, and hear other viewpoints. It's up to the college and the professor to design the course in a way that motivates students to grow intellectually from it, and the students to put in the required effort, but it seems to me like those are pretty useful skills no matter what their goals in life. Sure, they could develop these skills from many other subjects, but the college has decided to offer this one for those who are interested. Nobody is saying every college needs a queer studies course, or that such a course should be mandatory.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2020, 05:46:44 PM »

We are literally talking about one course that is one of many liberal arts offerings at this college. Students learn about a subject, gain experience in forming and articulating their own opinions on it, and hear other viewpoints. It's up to the college and the professor to design the course in a way that motivates students to grow intellectually from it, and the students to put in the required effort, but it seems to me like those are pretty useful skills no matter what their goals in life. Sure, they could develop these skills from many other subjects, but the college has decided to offer this one for those who are interested. Nobody is saying every college needs a queer studies course, or that such a course should be mandatory.

If you are talking about isolated, voluntary classes within the scope of a broader major, I agree. But to offer "gender studies" as a major is to prey on the shortsightedness of young people who don't know what career they want to pursue. In a world where a decent college education is becoming increasingly necessary for success, these "studies" majors actually harm people's viability on the job market, because they suck up four years of your life (as well as your money), leaving you with no relevant experience once you try to find gainful employment. And honestly, none of this would be a problem if prospective employers thought that a "film studies" degree was worth anything, but they know that these classes are not held to any strict academic standard.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2020, 06:04:13 PM »

"Latinx" lol.

That said, despite his use of made up words, the professor is more reasonable here.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2020, 07:36:42 PM »

The issue isn't that the subject is being studied, it's that there is only one acceptable finding. Religious idealogues of a false god have no place in our universities.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »

The issue isn't that the subject is being studied, it's that there is only one acceptable finding. Religious idealogues of a false god have no place in our universities.

That's ridiculous. It would be unconscionable to send thousands of Marxists to the breadline simply because of their religious beliefs. This isn't 1947, for God's sake!
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 09:14:26 PM by NoobMaster69 »

The professor, even if he comes off a bit smug. I think there's a legit point to be had in what the student is saying but there's only so much that can be taught in one 14 week class. Especially if it's just an intro or elective class. It's a LGBT studies class, not an AA studies class too. I hate that Twitter has become such an issue in our discourse. If you have an issue, be an adult and go to the dean and talk about it in person or drop the class. Don't snitch on twitter.
Jalawest2

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »

That's ridiculous. It would be unconscionable to send thousands of Marxists to the breadline simply because of their religious beliefs. This isn't 1947, for God's sake!
I have no objections to them working honest jobs, but these professorships should not exist, and the universities that perpetuate this system should have their endowments seized and redistributed to trade schools and community colleges.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2020, 10:02:09 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 10:05:14 PM by #prayforsteve »

I have no objections to them working honest jobs, but these professorships should not exist, and the universities that perpetuate this system should have their endowments seized and redistributed to trade schools and community colleges.
lol. Every authoritarian regime in modern history has attacked intellectuals for their bourgeois/socialist thoughts. See how that worked out for them.
Jalawest2

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2020, 11:54:10 PM »

lol. Every authoritarian regime in modern history has attacked intellectuals for their bourgeois/socialist thoughts. See how that worked out for them.
It works out poorly for the intellectuals, yes. That is the point. In an ordered society, people work useful jobs.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2020, 12:29:09 AM »

I'm with the professor.

Even if this was an African-American studies course, the priority should be keeping the students (who at the age they are at still have low attention spans, and would prefer to be partying) engaged in the coursework, and to do that you need to pick works that are interesting,, regardless of the race/ethnicity of the author.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2020, 06:15:16 AM »

As opposed to?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length