Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 03:35:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?
Student

Professor

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Do you more sympathize with the student or professor in this?  (Read 2002 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2020, 08:29:02 AM »

This is by far the most whiny, entitled, "can I speak to the manager" behavior I've seen in a long time. Hopeful for the professor's sake and everyone else in the class she drops it, I can only imagine how much of a nightmare this awful girl is in real life.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 08:50:18 AM »

Sympathize more with the professor, but this looks like the kind of course that would naturally draw students like this.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 09:02:47 AM »

This is by far the most whiny, entitled, "can I speak to the manager" behavior I've seen in a long time. Hopeful for the professor's sake and everyone else in the class she drops it, I can only imagine how much of a nightmare this awful girl is in real life.

WOW

You are not sympathizing with the student despite the professor using the scary word that ends in X!

Shocked
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 09:14:49 AM »

WOW

You are not sympathizing with the student despite the professor using the scary word that ends in X!

Shocked

The student uses it anyway.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »

I sympathize more with the professor. A syllabus should be diverse, but it sounds like the professor may have tried. It's something that probably works out in the end.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:32:21 AM »

Joe's train is riding on!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »

Need more information. What’s the class called? If it’s about black culture then yeah there should probably be mostly black authors. If it’s just a general cultural class then I lean siding with the professor.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 09:36:47 AM »

Need more information. What’s the class called? If it’s about black culture then yeah there should probably be mostly black authors. If it’s just a general cultural class then I lean siding with the professor.

It's a queer studies course.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »

Lol, 5500$ is more than my entire 4 year tuition actually costs. Imagine blowing that amount of money into a queer studies class of all things.

(I can see its usefulness if you are a sociology or anthropology graduate, but not for most people)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »

Lol, 5500$ is more than my entire 4 year tuition actually costs. Imagine blowing that amount of money into a queer studies class of all things.

(I can see its usefulness if you are a sociology or anthropology graduate, but not for most people)
wow, anyone who spends $5500 on a queer studies class is an idiot.   And if you're taking out loans to do it, you should go kick the ass of whomever suggested you go to that school and then spend some time considering how life works in the real world.  Maybe talk about it to an adult you trust who is not part of the education racket.

(and I wish I could read Tweets at work)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »

So the cost per credit at this school is $1333. I looked up my alma matter currently, it's $281 for Minnesota residents or residents of qualifying reciprocity states, $604 for out of state residents. This school is a scam.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 11:49:33 AM »

So the cost per credit at this school is $1333. I looked up my alma matter currently, it's $281 for Minnesota residents or residents of qualifying reciprocity states, $604 for out of state residents. This school is a scam.

This year I paid 2500€ and the course had exams for a total of 60 credits. Lol
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »

Slightly more with the professor. The student's criticism is valid, but she is overreacting. People like her are the reason the alt-right came to be.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 12:40:58 PM »

When a queer studies professor who uses “woke” language and goes out of his way to make the subject he teaches as diverse as possible still isn’t “woke” enough and is in fact branded a “racist,” you can’t act surprised when Ben Shapiro turns up at your school.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 12:52:02 PM »

$1333 is not out of the ordinary at all. (extortionate, yes) Some rough comparisons with state research universities I just looked at:

Pitt: $1360
Penn State: $1531
Michigan State: $1312
Maryland: $1456
Ohio State: $1380
Washington: $1295

Didn't look at U of M, but I'll bet it's up there with its Midwestern peers.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 12:53:24 PM »

I don't exactly sympathize with either.
The student is an entitled SJW and the living embodiment of a Republican's perception of a Berniecrat.
The professor is teaching a course that has no business existing and honestly is part of the movement fostering these attitudes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2020, 12:59:36 PM by Mine eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

$1333 is not out of the ordinary at all. (extortionate, yes) Some rough comparisons with state research universities I just looked at:

I'm referring to Minnesota State University in Mankato. I have no doubt the U of M is more expensive.

Though I didn't include "fees" in that: https://mankato.mnsu.edu/university-life/campus-services/campushub/bills-payment/tuition-and-fees/undergraduate-tuition-feesfall2020/mankato-campus-course-offerings

Still even with those the total cost of $4227.70 per semester is less than this one class.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »

this is a natural by-product of the commercialization of education: the student is now a customer, and the customer is always right.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 02:25:06 PM »

Zero sympathy for anyone who teaches or attends a class that ends in "studies."
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »

What about those students at the cheapest state university  required to?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 02:35:45 PM »

What about those students at the cheapest state university  required to?

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 02:46:58 PM »

In fairness while credits are comparable between EU countries, I imagine this does not apply to any country outside the EEA.

The other big thing is that in the EU you would probably never have a class like this unless you were studying a degree that had a direct relation to it (like sociology or something along those lines).
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »

If you're a white guy teaching a Queer Studies course you're gonna get students like this. The professor should be fired, the course should be ended, and the student should be expelled.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »

In fairness while credits are comparable between EU countries, I imagine this does not apply to any country outside the EEA.

The other big thing is that in the EU you would probably never have a class like this unless you were studying a degree that had a direct relation to it (like sociology or something along those lines).

I agree.

But also, there is a reason why college debt is such a big problem in the United States (but not in Italy, or, I am assuming, in Spain).
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »

$1333 is 10% of max. annual tuition for UK students. I don’t know how many credits US students typically take in a year, but I would imagine it’s a lot more than 10. And people complain about our tuition fees over here...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies