CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:05:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 124054 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: August 25, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »

What's the deal with Elder? The guy doesn't have any real qualifications for the job and reading his political positions on Wikipedia page tells me that he's a far-right nutjob. He'd not represent a majority of Californians.
If not for him and Dennis Prager, we might not have had South Park.

So he has no qualifications. Got it.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1001 on: August 25, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »

What's funny is that Trey and Matt likely voted for Biden and are probably voting NO on the recall. They're still libertarian bros to a degree but they are NOT the careless dudebros they were 25 years ago.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1002 on: August 25, 2021, 04:30:36 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2021, 04:45:34 PM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Eric Cartman >>>> Joe Biden.

If not for South Park, I'd probably never learn English. Thank you, Larry Elder, and good luck!
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1003 on: August 25, 2021, 04:57:52 PM »

What's the deal with Elder? The guy doesn't have any real qualifications for the job and reading his political positions on Wikipedia page tells me that he's a far-right nutjob. He'd not represent a majority of Californians.
If not for him and Dennis Prager, we might not have had South Park.

So he has no qualifications. Got it.
To be fair, back then he was more of a true Libertarian and even voted for Harry Browne in 2000.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1004 on: August 25, 2021, 05:14:24 PM »

It’s kind of a bad look to admit the mail in ballots will “save” newsome

Openly confessing what the gop has been saying: mail in ballots are a ploy to help democrats

It’s an abuse. In my view.

Elected officials using taxpayer money to personally solve their turnout problems is an appalling betrayal of public trust.

Governments shouldn’t make it hard to vote, but they also shouldn’t be in the business of maximizing turnout either.

If a Mexican in imperial county doesn’t care about the recall, who cares? If a 21 year old college student doesn’t care, why should the govt try to get them to vote?

I want him gone as much as anyone else but our party just spent $200 Million on organizing a recall election, which means we have to shut up about Democrats using taxpayer money to do a bunch of stupid sh**t.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1005 on: August 25, 2021, 06:00:34 PM »

Not that Republicans have ever cared abut qualifications. Especially in California. Let's not forget that the state produced not only Reagan but also Schwarzenegger and even Sonny frigging Bono!

What's funny is that Trey and Matt likely voted for Biden and are probably voting NO on the recall. They're still libertarian bros to a degree but they are NOT the careless dudebros they were 25 years ago.

Their politics have definitely shifted in both attitude and ideology. They aren't really "above it all" anymore. Hell, they outright made an episode apologizing to Al Gore.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1006 on: August 25, 2021, 06:01:48 PM »

Yes, that's correct. What are you trying to understand?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1007 on: August 26, 2021, 05:42:34 AM »

Elder makes sense when you understand that this entire sham recall has been pushed by the far right CA GOP, and Elder represents that demo, clearly. So even though it's a minority in CA clearly, he is the one that they're going with
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1008 on: August 26, 2021, 05:54:56 AM »

Absentee ballot retutun update.

https://www.politicaldata.com/2020-ballot-returns-top-25-searches/

Total ballots returned = 1,556,736*
Dems 884,638 (56.8%)
Reps 332,097 (21.3%)
Ind/Other 340,378 (21.9%)

* total does not quite equal Dems+ Rep + other. Off by 377 voters.

Update

Total ballots returned = 2,219,666
Dems 1,223,642 (55.1%)
Reps 507,265 (22.9%)
Ind/Other 488,759 (22.0%)

Turnout: Dems (12%), Reps (10%), Ind/Other (7%)

https://twitter.com/Jim_Oberst/status/1430763897401708552/photo/1
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1009 on: August 26, 2021, 09:40:01 AM »

Looking how this turned into a circus and the potential someone getting elected with 25% of the vote or so gets me to a single conclusion: As soon as it's over, the legislature needs to repeal the recall law entirely. The gov is elected for 4 years and ending is term before it has expires should only be possible with impeachment for clear violations.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1010 on: August 26, 2021, 10:06:35 AM »

Looking how this turned into a circus and the potential someone getting elected with 25% of the vote or so gets me to a single conclusion: As soon as it's over, the legislature needs to repeal the recall law entirely. The gov is elected for 4 years and ending is term before it has expires should only be possible with impeachment for clear violations.

Agreed, but wouldn't that require a state constitutional amendment that'd need to be put to the voters?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1011 on: August 26, 2021, 11:27:00 AM »

There literally isn't a single politician in the country who represents a majority of their constituents. California will have exceptionally low turnout, but this won't make him an outlier in any real way.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1012 on: August 26, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »

Former CA Senate Majority Leader Gloria Romero (D) endorses Elder.

"Yes, I'm a Democrat. But the recall of Newsom is not about political party. It’s about Newsom. Larry Elder for governor."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14lGYWA-HVg1pNhLLnEoxAWCHdUMwc4Bf/view

The recall is as much about political party as the olympics are about sports and nationalism

People are strongly underestimating how much this race is about region. The California Democratic Party is really two parties, with the North extremely dominant, and the recall is the only chance the South has right now at reclaiming some power. Some would put up with three years of a useless Republican Governor to get that.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #1013 on: August 26, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »

"Yes, I'm a Democrat. But the recall of Newsom is not about political party. It’s about Newsom. Larry Elder for governor."

The recall is as much about political party as the olympics are about sports and nationalism

People are strongly underestimating how much this race is about region. The California Democratic Party is really two parties, with the North extremely dominant, and the recall is the only chance the South has right now at reclaiming some power. Some would put up with three years of a useless Republican Governor to get that.

Ya think someone who feels compelled to comment on this election would know when the governor is elected, but apparently not. Newsflash: The election was in 2018.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1014 on: August 26, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »

I don’t think it should be entirely repealed, but it needs some big changes. Increasing the number of signatures for one and something that prevents a winning recall candidate from winning with 20% of the vote as the second big part.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1015 on: August 26, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »

Two points:

a) In the past it has been true that northern politicians (and San Francisco politicians in particular) have dominated the Democratic Party, but my feeling is that this is changing. During his short time as governor so far, Gavin Newsom has managed to make three appointments to elective statewide positions: Alex Padilla as senator, Shirley Weber as secretary of state, and Rob Bonta as attorney general. Padilla and Weber are both from Southern California; what got them their positions was not where in the state they are from but rather their personal loyalty to Gavin Newsom. Newsom has been working to reorganize state politics so it revolves around him in particular rather than a San Francisco clique in general.

b) This is all inside-baseball stuff that voters don't care about. If voters in Southern California were worried about their lack of power in Sacramento, then Antonio Villaraigosa's gubernatorial campaign wouldn't have fallen flat on its face. Voters who are voting to recall are doing so because they support Republicans or dislike Gavin Newsom personally, not because they would rather have any southerner as governor than any northerner.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #1016 on: August 26, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »

Ballot return update.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1017 on: August 26, 2021, 12:11:12 PM »

Elder is too far right, he gives Black conservatives a bad name....

Uncle Tom will be plastered to his name for a long, long time...

Newsom will prevail, but his political future is over at the same time. He will never be president. NEVER.

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1018 on: August 26, 2021, 12:44:59 PM »

Newsom will prevail, but his political future is over at the same time. He will never be president. NEVER.

A) It’s weird to talk about minorities as a monolith
2) Most Trump Supporters give themselves a bad name, Black, White, etc.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1019 on: August 26, 2021, 12:51:42 PM »

If I were him, I would make this my last election.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1020 on: August 26, 2021, 01:25:41 PM »

Even before COVID, he was never gonna be president. NEVER.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1021 on: August 26, 2021, 01:32:49 PM »

Why? He's too slick? I always saw him as someone who was positioning to be the new Bill Clinton/Tony Blair....slick, affable, and charming, but for some reasons it never aligned....
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1022 on: August 26, 2021, 01:37:22 PM »

The NorCal/SoCal divide is really about Northern California Democrats being better organized to get support for running statewide. The Democratic base in the past was mostly northern and that still is somewhat true when it comes to who can build up support to run statewide. I've never heard anyone complain about SoCal not having enough clout over NorCal.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1023 on: August 26, 2021, 01:37:55 PM »

Why? He's too slick? I always saw him as someone who was positioning to be the new Bill Clinton/Tony Blair....slick, affable, and charming, but for some reasons it never aligned....

I always liked Newsom and never really understood the dislike for him, though I'd assume he'd lack a national base of support and that he has some brand as an elitist. What he should do or should already have done is setting more signature legislative coals to tackle problems like homelessness. Seems like he should do more of that and build up a brand to become a viable national candidate.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1024 on: August 26, 2021, 03:23:43 PM »

Newsom isn't charming and definitely doesn't have the kind of "I feel your pain" affability that Bill Clinton possessed.

He can be too easily painted as an elitist San Franciscan liberal, and never had too much of a path to the White House anyway, but his weakness in this race has pretty destroyed any chance of higher office for him regardless of the result
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies