CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:27:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 126651 times)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: August 20, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »

It can be hard to extrapolate much from the ballot return numbers, but Republicans generally return their ballots later and lag a lot in early returns. With that said if GOP enthusiasm is similar to that of a regular cycle then the chances of the recall prevailing are low.

Right. I don't know about California but I still remember Atlas insisting Biden had Florida in the bag because Dems had something like a 200k registration lead in the early vote.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #926 on: August 20, 2021, 10:13:10 PM »

Patricia Stewart defends Elder
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #927 on: August 20, 2021, 10:15:43 PM »

Lets say Newsom gets recalled, what could a Republican Governor do with a Democratic state legislature with veto-proof super majorities?

Competently or incompetently manage the executive branch, respond to emergencies, oversee FEMA and the national guard through fire season, etc.

Which is why it's actually so important that Faulconer beats Elder or Paffrath on question two. The mechanisms of state government could absolutely melt down with someone that stupid at the top.

I will be voting for James Hanink of the American Solidarity Party (https://jameshanink.com/) for the second question on the recall. I'm definitely voting no on the recall itself since Newsom-while mediocre-has benefited me personally with the stimulus check and other needed spending. Hanink will give voice to the principles of consistent life ethics and the politics of solidarity in the State of California.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #928 on: August 20, 2021, 10:16:15 PM »

What a disgusting racist smear
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #929 on: August 20, 2021, 10:31:00 PM »

Patricia Stewart defends Elder

There are plenty of instances of one romantic partner having a different experience than another. This doesn't mean that Elder didn't do what the other woman accused him of, it just means that he got a friend to right a positive statement for him.

He's going to push back against this anyway he can because the optics of a black man pulling a gun on a white woman are enough to scare white voters into voting against the recall. The threatening black man stereotype is still very real.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #930 on: August 20, 2021, 11:01:37 PM »

Are you not realizing the columnist is also black or are you just ignoring it because facts don't support your claim?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #931 on: August 20, 2021, 11:24:19 PM »

Lets say Newsom gets recalled, what could a Republican Governor do with a Democratic state legislature with veto-proof super majorities?

Competently or incompetently manage the executive branch, respond to emergencies, oversee FEMA and the national guard through fire season, etc.

Which is why it's actually so important that Faulconer beats Elder or Paffrath on question two. The mechanisms of state government could absolutely melt down with someone that stupid at the top.

I will be voting for James Hanink of the American Solidarity Party (https://jameshanink.com/) for the second question on the recall. I'm definitely voting no on the recall itself since Newsom-while mediocre-has benefited me personally with the stimulus check and other needed spending. Hanink will give voice to the principles of consistent life ethics and the politics of solidarity in the State of California.

Good for you. I'm not interested in throwing away my vote in a first past the post election. Not that I'd vote ASP anyway.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #932 on: August 21, 2021, 07:34:20 AM »

Are you not realizing the columnist is also black or are you just ignoring it because facts don't support your claim?
You realize blacks can be racist right?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #933 on: August 21, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »

"Blacks"? Interesting phrasing. It's not racist to point out that Larry Elder has played the role of the "good black" person that conservatives can feel comfortable liking and whose job is to make them secure being racist. Titling a book "Stupid Black Men" is pretty much playing up to racists.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #934 on: August 21, 2021, 08:43:43 AM »

"Blacks"? Interesting phrasing. It's not racist to point out that Larry Elder has played the role of the "good black" person that conservatives can feel comfortable liking and whose job is to make them secure being racist. Titling a book "Stupid Black Men" is pretty much playing up to racists.
Larry Elder is NOT a “good black” whose job it is to make them secure being racist. If you believe that, you are the racist.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #935 on: August 21, 2021, 08:48:52 AM »

Larry Elder is NOT a “good black” whose job it is to make them secure being racist. If you believe that, you are the racist.
DrScholl is black
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #936 on: August 21, 2021, 08:50:06 AM »

DrScholl is black
So? If you think that is relevant you are racist.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #937 on: August 21, 2021, 09:11:52 AM »

139,127 ballots returned

Democrats 86,139 (61.9%)
Ind/Other 30,054 (21.6%)
Republicans 22,934 (16.5%)

https://twitter.com/CA_120/status/1428375841877069833/photo/1

uhhh....this doesn't suggest a close race at all.

At all

I thought we'd learn after last year to not extrapolate from vote by mail stuff. That's always going to be skewed heavily Democratic, and especially so in California.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #938 on: August 21, 2021, 09:27:47 AM »

I'm still undecided who to vote for on Question 2 (will vote on election day, as always). For sure I vote No to retain Newsom. I'm undecided between Paffrath (D) or Faulconer (R). I hardly can bring myself to vote for a GOPer here as I dismiss the entire recall, though Faulconer is the only non-extreme replacement candidate who at least could handle the job. Not that he'd get much done, but he has governing experience.

Elder isn't a serious candidate in my opinion and he previously voiced strong support for the orange buffoon and said he's not to be blamed for 1/6. I'm glad when this clown show is over and Newsom can go back to focus on actual business.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #939 on: August 21, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »

Evidently they're meant to help visual impaired voters find/see where to do sign the ballot. "They also serve as a visual check for elections officials to ensure that a ballot has not been left inside an envelope uncounted." I don't get this explanation because isn't it obvious whether an envelope has been opened or not? Some spokesperson then goes on to say voters can fold their ballots "another way" if they're concerned.

This is a serious problem.  Even if it's not intentional, this looks fishy as heck.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #940 on: August 21, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »

I'm not racist for stating what is true. There are plenty of black people who conform to standards to get ahead or fit in with white people. In Elder's case it's very lucrative monetarily for him to do this.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #941 on: August 21, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »

Evidently they're meant to help visual impaired voters find/see where to do sign the ballot. "They also serve as a visual check for elections officials to ensure that a ballot has not been left inside an envelope uncounted." I don't get this explanation because isn't it obvious whether an envelope has been opened or not? Some spokesperson then goes on to say voters can fold their ballots "another way" if they're concerned.

We've had those ballot envelopes for as long as I can remember (At least since 2008). As for the ballot itself, it's not one uniform ballot design all across the state. Mine looks different from the one in the video and there didn't seem to be a way to see the votes through the holes.

There has been previous elections where one of my filled-in votes can be seen, but it was as simple as folding another way or stuffing it another way. But I'm sure for someone that just wants to get it turned in, it's easy to overlook
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #942 on: August 21, 2021, 08:25:40 PM »

George Lopez opposes the recall.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #943 on: August 21, 2021, 08:28:37 PM »

Detroit Lions player endorses Larry Elder
Jackson Lee
Rookie
United States

« Reply #944 on: August 21, 2021, 11:33:20 PM »

Question:

If Newsom wins the recall vote, are they even counting the replacement votes?

To see who would have become the new Governor, or would they skip it?
Duke of York

« Reply #945 on: August 22, 2021, 12:00:46 AM »

Question:

I’m pretty sure the votes have to be counted anyway.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #946 on: August 22, 2021, 10:08:26 AM »

I'm still undecided who to vote for on Question 2 (will vote on election day, as always). For sure I vote No to retain Newsom. I'm undecided between Paffrath (D) or Faulconer (R). I hardly can bring myself to vote for a GOPer here as I dismiss the entire recall, though Faulconer is the only non-extreme replacement candidate who at least could handle the job. Not that he'd get much done, but he has governing experience.

Elder isn't a serious candidate in my opinion and he previously voiced strong support for the orange buffoon and said he's not to be blamed for 1/6. I'm glad when this clown show is over and Newsom can go back to focus on actual business.

I would go with Paffrath (and No, obviously). Paffrath is the highest non-Elder candidate in the polls.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #947 on: August 22, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »

Question:

Those votes will be counted. The last recalls to fail still had the replacement question results tabulated

http://www.joincalifornia.com/election/1995-08-22

Shall Michael Machado be Recalled?
YES: 19,631
NO: 33,390

AD-17
Wayne Flores    Democratic    32%    Loss
Tom Kohlhepp    Libertarian    3.3%    Loss
Ed Simas    Republican    48.6%    Loss
Carole Smith    Republican    16%    Loss

http://www.joincalifornia.com/election/2008-06-03

Shall Jeff Denham be recalled (removed) from the Office of State Senator, District 12?
YES: 20,043
NO: 61,309

SD-12
Simon Salinas    Democratic    100%    Loss
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #948 on: August 23, 2021, 01:53:41 PM »

Nearly 600K ballots have been returned in California already.

Total ballots returned = 578,191
Democrats 334,389 (57.8%)
Ind/Other 128,372 (22.2%)
Republicans 115,430 (20.0%)

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAAAAGsEIwg3FoQZQ0tj5RiXoG5qV9Wr381D1YX38USpHR1C0sb7FTA
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #949 on: August 23, 2021, 02:06:56 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies