Jerry Falwell Sr. vs. Jerry Falwell Jr.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 04:06:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Jerry Falwell Sr. vs. Jerry Falwell Jr.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who’s better/less evil?
Sr. (D)

Sr. (R)

Sr. (O/I)

Jr. (D)

Jr. (R)

Jr. (O/I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Jerry Falwell Sr. vs. Jerry Falwell Jr.  (Read 1030 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 05:47:36 PM »

Ehh, Falwell and the Moral Majority were pretty late to the game as far as making abortion the issue for Evangelicals compared to figures like Francis Schaeffer and C. Everett Koop. Of course Schaeffer and Koop aren't bete noires for the 21st century left so we get threads like this *shrug*

I mean, they were not involved in defending segregation academies.

Sure.

My complaint with that thread was primarily with the shoddy history on the pro-life movement. There's a common argument on Atlas that goes something like "Evangelicals were pro-choice until Falwell and the Moral Majority used it as a wedge issue to protect their segregation academies*" which is totally ludicrous, not least because it gets the chronology of Falwell vs Schaeffer and Koop all wrong.

The "anti-abortion was just a cover for southern segregation academies" trope is a lot less convincing if the big figures getting the organized Evangelical pro-life movement off the ground were a couple of northern Evangelical Presbyterians instead of Southern Baptists. Hence, my grumpiness about assertions that Falwell singlehandedly got Evangelicals upset about abortion, when he was a somewhat later figure on the pro-life movement

*I would be remis if I didn't point put that the reasons for setting up private Christian schools in the United States in that era was very messy insofar as concerns about integration were there alongside concerns about public school prayer and Bible reading being proscribed in that era. My initial impression was that Falwell was more on the segregationist end of the spectrum, but apparently the segregation academy associated with his church integrated well before the courts forced private schools to integrate and the foundation of the Moral Majority. Make of that what you will.

Of course the history of such a large movement is inevitably going to be complex and nuanced, but Falwell and Robertson were nonetheless far more influential in mobilising Evangelicals as a political force than Schaeffer and Koop. The RR has always been strongly Southern-flavoured, with all the associated baggage that brings considering it has its roots in the early 70s.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 08:12:35 PM »

Jerry Falwell Sr. is one of the biggest villains of the 20th century

Well, Sr was an arch segregationist and claimed that the 9/11 attacks were the fault of the gays and abortionists, etc... and helped create Jr

Jr is a pervy grifter

As a tandem they do a good job representing the Republican party.

People are segregationist at heart. It's not a big issue.

What are you talking about

People associate with their own kind. This is not rocket science.

Falwell is no different than Malcolm X. Malcolm X wanted Black people and white people separated.

They were vocal people who favored their own kind.

Malcolm X recanted his views on that, and was killed for it.

Also I didn’t know you were Morrissey:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/morrissey-interview-far-right-britain-racist-brexit-nigel-farage-a8973276.html

Believe it or not, Morrissey, but just because you are racist does not mean everyone else is.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »

Not even a contest.

Jr. just seems like a dull moron to me. Just from watching clips of him speak, it's beyond obvious he never would have risen to any position of leadership if it wasn't for his name. The man is f--king boring. He has none of his father's charisma, passion, or intensity. That means that he's relatively harmless, despite being a cuck and a hypocrite (which is pretty much just standard for Republicans and Evangelicals these days). In fact, under his watch, fundamentalism is on a steep decline from where it peaked under his father, who played an active and key role in making it so powerful and influential in the first place.

Fundamentalism is not a powerful force in America, unless you count the Southern Baptists as fundamentalists.

I really don't see why not.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »

Not even a contest.

Jr. just seems like a dull moron to me. Just from watching clips of him speak, it's beyond obvious he never would have risen to any position of leadership if it wasn't for his name. The man is f--king boring. He has none of his father's charisma, passion, or intensity. That means that he's relatively harmless, despite being a cuck and a hypocrite (which is pretty much just standard for Republicans and Evangelicals these days). In fact, under his watch, fundamentalism is on a steep decline from where it peaked under his father, who played an active and key role in making it so powerful and influential in the first place.

Fundamentalism is not a powerful force in America, unless you count the Southern Baptists as fundamentalists.

I really don't see why not.

Because they're Evangelical, not fundamentalist.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »

I spend basically every summer just a few minutes away from Lynchburg and almost every young person is a religious fundamentalist due to Liberty’s presence. Liberty also closed the only comic book store in the area so they really suck balls.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 11:01:13 AM »

I will never speak ill toward a fellow cuck.

Cuck Code of Honor. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies