NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:16:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 128180 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 10, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »

Eric Adams would be a disaster mayor and the republicans best hope at winning in four years if he wins and is t primaried

Explain.....

I’ve said this a few times before but he’s just toxic, he defends abusers, anti-semites and picks racist fights for no reason (Herman Badillo), his policies are wack (like the aforementioned 300 students debacle). Honest to god I dislike Bloomberg, Schultz as much as any democrat but if Bloomberg ran against Adams I’d probably vote for them
dude straight up went from supporting farrakhan to supporting gingrich within a year

Surprise Adams just lost a lot of my support with this revelation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 02:18:15 PM »

Is there a good results map somewhere? Don't want to give money to the N*w Y*rk T*mes.

Cinyc has an interactive map on RRH.

Yeah, I did. Sorry for not cross-posting it here before election night. It was a bit of a technological miracle that it worked at all (and required a little bit of manual input while I was simultaneously trying to write the RRH election night live blog). NYC's precinct results are in 65 separate tables that need to be scraped for each race (I mapped D & R mayor). Google Sheets was choking on the task. I used Excel to get the data into my homemade svg map solution. Fun times!

Anyway, enough boring technical talk. ICYMI, the permalink is here:
https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2021/06/22/new-york-2021-primary-elections-liveblog-livemap

Thank you for the awesome map, sir.

That said, Can anyone point to actual final vote tallies? Even broken down to Garcia versus Adams final count pending absentees? Anything beyond that breaking it down by rounds of voting let alone by Borough would be amount of icing on the political nerd cake.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:16:24 PM »

So where did adamsvictory Coalition come from? The only electoral Maps I've seen show the results with five contenders still in the race, where Adams was leading all the boroughs except Manhattan where Garcia was ahead. It was a very close final-round obviously. Where did Adams construct his winning coalition to win the final round against what in a normal election year would have been a splintered left-wing? Black voters, strong home field advantage in Brooklyn oh, and....? I heard he had some reasonable support of some Orthodox groups, but you would think that plus African American votes, unless he was winning by Obama level margins, wouldn't have been enough to squeak out 50% plus one in the fight round. Did he do well in non-black and Orthodox portions of Brooklyn? How did the Latino vote ultimately go, at least in the final rounds?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 04:45:40 PM »

Wholesome moment from the Sliwa campaign.

I've never been impressed with this guy, but that was heartfelt. Yeah, maybe he was mugging for the cameras a bit, but you could tell he genuinely cared at least somewhat about the guy, which for most politician says a lot.

Having him as mayor would be worse than Giuliani part 2, and Adams is going to beat him like a drum. But after years of Republicans putting unapologetically god-awful mean-spirited bastards as their leaders for the last few years like Trump, Tucker Carlson, mtge, Ted Cruz, Sean Hannity, etc etc, it's nice and even refreshing to see some Republican politicians just being decent people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 05:02:38 PM »

Does anyone know why McGuire did well in two non-contiguous areas on the first round map, one being in (I think) NE Brooklyn in AD 39, and the other being south of that near the Brooklyn-Queens border (again, I think) in AD 54? None of the precincts he won were unpopulated ones with nominal votes. One such neighborhood I'd assume was his home, but I can't explain the strength in two neighborhoods which aren't particularly close.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 04:18:30 PM »

I’m surprised we haven’t gotten any polls of this election yet.

Not really. Adams will win in a landslide, so not huge demand. The only question is whether Silwa can win Staten Island.

A couple news organizations will issue some polls closer to the election,  maybe before the end of the month.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 03:17:00 PM »

So, Silwa's  Chances of carrying Staten Island? There is enough despisal of deblazio deblasio and, although Adams was a cop, hes not exactly the typical Staten Island voters type of cop for multiple reasons.  It's still such a weak  Candidacy though that navy Adams has a shot there?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 06:57:26 PM »

So, Silwa's  Chances of carrying Staten Island? There is enough despisal of deblazio deblasio and, although Adams was a cop, hes not exactly the typical Staten Island voters type of cop for multiple reasons.  It's still such a weak  Candidacy though that navy Adams has a shot there?
Why wouldn't Silwa carry Staten Island? It hasn't voted for a Democrat for mayor since 1985 and there's no reason why this would be the election to break that streak.

Adams is a pretty good fit for Staten Island. I'm not saying he'll win it, as Sliwa is also a good fit for it and yeah, it's a pretty Republican place. But I wouldn't be too surprised since Adams might well be the best Democratic candidate for Staten Island since Koch in 1985. There's also the fact that Sliwa's campaign is more of a meme than a serious candidacy.
Adams is a black guy. He might be a good fit otherwise but thay factor alone makes him not a good fit for Staten Island.

It voted for Obama in 2012.

Also, Adams was endorsed by even the NY Post. I think people might be surprised by the amount of crossover support he could get. If however he gets little to none, might be more of a sign of how polarized the times are than anything.

It voted for Obama by the skin of its teeth in no small part due to the very good response his administration had to hurricane Sandy. But in terms of New York City politics, it is hardcore anytis hardcore anti Democrat, especially DE blasio
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 12:31:05 AM »

Serious question: do these elections still operate under the month-long counting process that haunted NY in 2020? Cause there's a good number of mayoral and commissioner races in outlying counties that are uncallible if so.

EDIT: Yes Sad change this NY

Wait a minute. DE blazio actually lost the upper East Side 8 years ago??!?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 07:14:58 AM »

Serious question: do these elections still operate under the month-long counting process that haunted NY in 2020? Cause there's a good number of mayoral and commissioner races in outlying counties that are uncallible if so.

EDIT: Yes Sad change this NY

Wait a minute. DE blazio actually lost the upper East Side 8 years ago??!?

Yeah, but it was a mayoral election against notoriously sane Joe Lhota. And Bloomy obviously won all that territory the three previous elections. No big deal.

Actually, according to Wikipedia he-s now a registered Democrat, and even endorsed Kathryn Garcia in the primary!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »

Ukrainian-American Inna Verkinov, who was born in Chernivtsi, Ukraine flipped 48th District in NY City Council from Democratic to Republican
Just proof how Trumpy the Russian and Ukrainian parts of Brooklyn is

This race was actually is actually a blowout. A near 2 to 1 victory for the Republican peris the Republican. Ditto for the Republican who ran to replace Eric Ulrich.

That former hardcore band member whomember whom BRT D went all it's all nuts about because of that connectionRunning for re election is for re election to his district seat in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn is currently a couple tenths of a percent behind his Republican challenger with 95% of the vote Counted. Both sides claiming victory and waiting on vote by mail to decide if to decide the balance. My gut tells me hardcore band guy is gonna lose by a whisker.. 4 years ago, which was not a bad year for democrats, he barely won his initial election by only a couple points.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »

Ukrainian-American Inna Verkinov, who was born in Chernivtsi, Ukraine flipped 48th District in NY City Council from Democratic to Republican
Just proof how Trumpy the Russian and Ukrainian parts of Brooklyn is

This race was actually is actually a blowout. A near 2 to 1 victory for the Republican peris the Republican. Ditto for the Republican who ran to replace Eric Ulrich.

That former hardcore band member whomember whom BRT D went all it's all nuts about because of that connectionRunning for re election is for re election to his district seat in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn is currently a couple tenths of a percent behind his Republican challenger with 95% of the vote Counted. Both sides claiming victory and waiting on vote by mail to decide if to decide the balance. My gut tells me hardcore band guy is gonna lose by a whisker.. 4 years ago, which was not a bad year for democrats, he barely won his initial election by only a couple points.

If you mean Justin Brannan, his council district (the 43rd) isn't based in Red Hook and Sunset Park, that's the 38th which the Dems are winning with an 80% vote share. He instead represents the more tepidly blue areas further south in Bay Ridge as well as relatively GOP friendly Dyker Heights.

Biden probably did win this council district comfortably but I suspect it's probably the kind of area where the GOP will find a fair number of persuadable voters. 

Yup. That's him, and thanks for the correction regarding neighborhoods. is any news on final results there?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies