NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:23:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127901 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: January 16, 2021, 07:11:37 PM »

I’ve gone from finding Yang a bit irritating in a “get out of the way and let the real candidates fight” in mid-2019. To really warming to him, and finding him quite endearing. The more I see of him the more I like him, he’s not polished and I’m not under any illusions that he’d be an amazing mayor but you get the sense that he’d be a public servant if nothing else. And it wouldn’t shock me if others find him equally endearing.

Seconded. Maybe his loyal base calming down since he dropped out helped too.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 05:59:00 PM »

Cuomo, Massa, Schneiderman, Weiner, and now Stringer. I don't want to jump to conclusions but New York Democrats have a real problem with their personal relationships with others.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 06:30:25 PM »

Cuomo, Massa, Schneiderman, Weiner, and now Stringer. I don't want to jump to conclusions but New York Democrats have a real problem with their personal relationships with others.

Don't forget, Bill Clinton is currently a registered New York voter.

Spitzer? In 2021 hindsight he should have pulled a Northam/Cuomo.

How could I have forgotten about these two! It just keeps getting worse!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 05:53:16 PM »

I'm still confused as to why Adams is leading this race, and even so with the RCV.

Because he's an established Brooklyn politician with strong links to the black community and an experienced record on the top issue of the campaign?

I'm completely neutral on this race, so me saying this is not necessarily a statement of support for Adams, but his ties to the city's black community should not be understated. That's what got De Blasio nominated back in 2013.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 06:22:21 PM »

I am actually grateful that I am not a New Yorker and don't need to make a decision in this race. But, what the hell? I'll list how I would vote if I could because I think I finally decided who I most prefer.

1. Garcia: in all honesty, she would make the best actual mayor.
2. Wiley: probably the candidate I agree the most with.
3. Donovan?
4. Yang?
5. ?

I really don't know with three through five. I wish Scott Stringer wasn't an alleged creep, because he would probably be among my top three if he wasn't.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 05:54:24 PM »

It’s raining in NYC today
Commence the memes

Rain in NoHo.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 06:23:49 PM »

Calling it now: if he has national aspirations, Adams is the Democratic Trump. Or at least the Democratic Giuliani.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=452569.0

Cuomo has already proven himself to be the Democratic Trump, but maybe there's room for another.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 06:10:08 PM »

How is one state, and one city in particular, so routinely incapable of running elections

South Florida too.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »

New York can be dumb and stupid all on its own without us having to give credence to the latest round of "here's why our trying to steal the election was okay!"

This is the rational response. It's an apples to oranges comparison. in no way does this incident of frustrating incompetence resemble any of the vote counting in 2020 which was almost entirely flawless, minus some slow counts here and there in some places, no matter how much Republicans might want to believe otherwise. It's asinine for this blunder to in any way make anyone want to give even the slightest bit of legitimacy to our country's transformation into an autocratic state where GOP controlled legislatures can overturn election results they disagree with.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 06:01:49 PM »

Dammit...well at least we probably avoided a post-election Trump-esque freakout by Adams that would undermine the future of New York elections (even more).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 06:47:48 PM »

Looking at just the absentee votes it is true that Garcia did better than her election day vote but it also seems true that she got a smaller share of Yang and then Wiley second preference votes than election day votes which mostly canceled out most of her relative edge in absentee votes.

Looks like the Yang endorsement really sealed the deal for her getting as far as she did.

They probably should have made their alliance earlier though.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 06:34:11 PM »

Does Adams win Howard Beach, Glendale, Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst?

I don't think people take Sliwa seriously.

The beret probably has that affect on people. I certainly can't.

But he is also white and running against a black man, so it negates that a bit and he'll do about as well as a generic Republican in Staten Island at least.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 06:53:12 PM »

Silwa is more of a cat owning beret wearing Polish/Italian American who has little to no experience in politics before. While Adams has been in the state house/former NYPD officer/ and president of Brooklyn Borough. A lot of these NYPD folks who voted for Trump in 2020 can cross parties and vote for Adams since he is the more experienced police officer.

I think the beret is enough to make him not have credibility. I know it's his signature thing, but he can at least stop wearing it when campaigning. He doesn't look like a potential mayor but instead like a half-assed M. Bison cosplayer.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »

Im still surprised there have been zero polls for this election. I thought we'd have gotten one by now.

Not that they would matter, but yeah, it is still kind of odd.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 05:40:39 PM »

Well, at least SOMEONE showed up tonight for the Dems! Maybe he's the future of the Democratic Party after all...

Can we please stop pretending that one of the most corrupt and cynical politicians in the modern Democratic party is the future of the American left because he received the backing of the entire New York political machine and managed to defeat an unknown technocrat by 1% of the vote in the Democratic primary?

The fact that this guy who was--on paper--more favored than any other candidate in the race and scraped through a primary by saying a couple correct things on policing and crime does not mean he's some political genius uniquely capable of generating a permanent majority for the Democratic party. It's NYC. Winning the general doesn't count as an accomplishment.

Corruption and cynicism win you elections these days, especially as Republicans. My new county clerk authorized Bridgegate, for f***'s sake!

Maybe he is what the Democratic Party needs.

Still it's hard to know since his election was always going to be titanium D.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies