NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:00:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127191 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 11, 2020, 09:13:23 PM »

Still think if AOC decided to run she'd be a strong candidate in the primary.

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

But neither AOC or Rose is particularly likely to run.

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:14:31 PM »

If Vito Fossella ran, would he do well?

Fossella has name ID, is a fairly moderate Republican and could do well with Latino voters in NYC to win.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:07:08 PM »

Still think if AOC decided to run she'd be a strong candidate in the primary.

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

But neither AOC or Rose is particularly likely to run.

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.

Staten Island is absolutely not representative of the city in general, nobody's interested in electing a Republican pretending to be a Democrat and whose career can be summed up as "I used to be in the military" and "I don't much care for the current mayor". But it's absolutely what he wants, why else would he be attacking de Blasio every other day? I think he's got a gut feeling he's getting tossed out in November so he wants to move up to Gracie mansion, which will give him an even bigger platform to pretend to be a Democrat and tell everyone he used to be in the military.

Staten Island is the white ghetto of NYC....it is NYC.

Just because Staten Island doesn't vote like the rest of the city doesn't mean that is not part of the city. Most of the firefighters that served on 9/11 came from SI.

Rose won't run for mayor. Martin Golden, Joann Ariola, Vito Fossella or Andrew Lanza should run for the GOP side. Andrew Giuliani can't win. Donald Trump Jr. can't win.

Giuliani is toxic in NYC now.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 11:23:53 PM »

Whoever the next NYC mayor will have an even bitter brawl with the NYPD, especially if it is a Jumanne-type.

I hope they are ready, because the PBAs will be even bigger scorched earth with them than they were under DeBlasio.

They liked Giuliani.

The officers who attacked Louima apparently shouted racial epithets, including, "This is Giuliani time, not Dinkins time."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/09/08/giuliani-unbound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeW6Z3hQ2w
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »

After last night's election, I say that NYC Democrats should choose Eric Adams and Adams will win the mayoralty.

He would be the second black mayor, but he was a Black police officer. He actually dealt with police brutality. He decided to be a NYPD Black cop to change the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Adams_(politician)

I don't think a woman can win the mayoralty. Pat Lynch is the most important unelected political kingmaker in New York State. His police union is powerful. Adams can handle him. de Blasio couldn't.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 04:08:47 PM »

After last night's election, I say that NYC Democrats should choose Eric Adams and Adams will win the mayoralty.

He would be the second black mayor, but he was a Black police officer. He actually dealt with police brutality. He decided to be a NYPD Black cop to change the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Adams_(politician)

I don't think a woman can win the mayoralty. Pat Lynch is the most important unelected political kingmaker in New York State. His police union is powerful. Adams can handle him. de Blasio couldn't.

Adams will be called out because he supported IDC and landlords, caused rents to spike

We'll see. He's the only one who can stand up to Lynch and the PBAs....all the others would fold
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »

Max Rose is actually considering a mayoral run

He's too moderate for Democrats.

Al Sharpton and AOC would have to vet him

https://news.yahoo.com/max-rose-considering-mayoral-campaign-nyc-193511355.html
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »

I don't think a Republican has a chance here

Giuliani and Trump severed the NYGOP brand here

Giuliani would be chased out of NYC these days

A Republican could win in the 2030s, maybe

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »

Hence why Rose would lose

Rose is not a Republican. Why do you think Rose is a Republican, because he was in the military?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »

The contenders so far are: Eric Adams, Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire, Scott Stringer, Max Rose, and Curtis Sliwa, yes Curtis Sliwa

If 2021 sees more protests and riots on the streets, expect Sliwa to surge in polls because they are still white people in NYC who don't like crime.

New York State trended R this year...

But at the end of the day, a Democrat will remain mayor
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 10:15:00 PM »

Here's my very rough breakdown of how things stand. Undeclared candidates are italicized. Potential dark horses have an asterisk.

Frontrunners
Scott Stringer, Eric Adams, Shaun Donovan
Competitors
Maya Wiley*, Raymond McGuire, Max Rose, Andrew Yang
Stragglers
Diane Morales*, Loree Sutton, Carlos Menchaca*, Kathryn Garcia
Bottom Feeders
Eddie Cullen, Aaron Foldenauer, Quanda Francis, Max Kaplan, Julia Qing Reaves, Joycelyn Taylor

Add Ray McGuire, Robert Holden and Curtis Sliwa as competitors. If crime increases in 2021, they will be relevant. Ray McGuire is a Black centrist running in a leftwing mood in NYC, if he is seen as an Bloomberg-esque candidate who can turn the economy in NYC around

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/nyregion/ray-mcguire-mayor-nyc.html
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »

Here's my very rough breakdown of how things stand. Undeclared candidates are italicized. Potential dark horses have an asterisk.

Frontrunners
Scott Stringer, Eric Adams, Shaun Donovan
Competitors
Maya Wiley*, Raymond McGuire, Max Rose, Andrew Yang
Stragglers
Diane Morales*, Loree Sutton, Carlos Menchaca*, Kathryn Garcia
Bottom Feeders
Eddie Cullen, Aaron Foldenauer, Quanda Francis, Max Kaplan, Julia Qing Reaves, Joycelyn Taylor

Add Ray McGuire, Robert Holden and Curtis Sliwa as competitors. If crime increases in 2021, they will be relevant. Ray McGuire is a Black centrist running in a leftwing mood in NYC, if he is seen as an Bloomberg-esque candidate who can turn the economy in NYC around

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/nyregion/ray-mcguire-mayor-nyc.html

Sliwa is a meme candidate at best. Would he be running as a Republican? If so, put him in the same category as John Catsimatidis.

He's pretty serious. He has his Guardian Angels on the subways again because of subway slashings and so on again
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »

Hence why Rose would lose

Rose is not a Republican. Why do you think Rose is a Republican, because he was in the military?

That Marxist user you are replying to is afraid of confident, masculine WWC men. Max Rose is a hero

I don't think Rose would run anyway---he should seek a 2022 rematch and he could beat Malliotakis.

Rose's lane is the same lane Stringer has---white ethnic outerborough voters---those voters are moving out of NYC in droves---but they are still electorally relevant

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 11:29:26 PM »

Eric Adams may be too blue collar, too conservative and too policey for Democrats. He face the same problem Val Demings and Kamala Harris face---he has ties to law enforcement--and he wants to "out-white" Scott Stringer in appealing to conservative outerborough voters--the Joe Addabbo types.

Mr. Adams went on to say that in the 2021 race he was going to “out-white” Mr. Stringer, by winning over white constituencies. Mr. Adams and Ms. James are black. Mr. Stringer is white. Mr. Diaz is Hispanic. Mr. Adams explained that his past as a police officer gave him the experience to assure white voters that he would make public safety a priority.

“I was being colorful,” he said, explaining that just as Mr. de Blasio pressed issues like stop and frisk that had an impact in black communities, he planned to take his message of public safety to white neighborhoods. “People look at a black candidate and they think he can’t go into the Baysides, Bay Ridges and Marine Parks, and I’m not going to be the candidate that can’t do that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/nyregion/nyc-2021-mayor-election-candidates.html

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/personality/personality/would-eric-adams-be-first-blue-collar-mayor.html

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:40 PM »

Al Sharpton should run, I like his style.

Sharpton is the only one who can stand up to craziness, etc.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »

Stringer increasingly feels like the far and away frontrunner, but Yang's entrance, McGuire's money, or an AOC endorsement can still shake up this race.

Adams is charismatic, but his past is gonna be shook and brought out.

Stringer and Adams are going to split the Giuliani-Bloomberg-Weiner outerborough vote that goes to Max Rose.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 09:53:06 PM »

The question remains who wins the Barrons' endorsement?

I'm talking about central Brooklyn's power couple, Assemblyman Charles Barron and City Councilman Inez Barron, who both are pretty far-left, and have made anti-Semitic comments in the past.

Barron has made controversial comments about white people, Jews, etc

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »

I enthusiastically endorse Yang. NYC seems like just the right place for him. I may live in NYC next year, and I'd rank Maya Wiley second, Dianne Morales third, and Scott Stringer in a distant fourth. Never Adams and McGuire.

Any curiosity who wins the Republican primary? I'd say Silwa of the declared though him as the nominee sounds like a total clown show.

Can Yang handle Pat Lynch and the NYPD? That's the biggest question. NYC's next mayor will be dealing with a major population loss, budget deficit, lack of jobs, crime and Cuomo and suburbanites balking at his neck.

Sliwa probably wins the GOP nomination, he wins Staten Island and can make Queens competitive. But most of the Koch-Giuliani-Bloomberg voters are gone or moved to LI or the South.

Some of them voted for DeSantis in FL and Kemp in GA and so on.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »

Rose out-

Maybe Rose runs for something like Brooklyn Borough President, or a State Senate or Assembly seat.

Not a chance he wins Boro president and state legislative office would be a downgrade, his ego is too gigantic for that.

I like his outerborough moderate appeal; he should seek a rematch in 2022 or run for governor or something
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 03:58:44 PM »

Yang won't be mayor.

He should be running the DNC

Stringer or Adams are likely to win

The NYCGOP has no chance after what happened on Jan. 6
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »

Billionaire businessman John Cats is considering running as a Democrat.

Cats is a moderate middle of the road man who wants to see more law and order in the city.

“I may want to run as a Democrat with this ranked choice thing,” he said, referring to a new system of ranked choice voting that will allow voters to choose several candidates in order of preference in the June primary.

“This is a Democratic city, and I was a Bill Clinton Democrat. I was a Democrat for a long time,” Catsimatidis said. “I’m a middle-of-the-road guy. I can be a conservative Democrat, or I can be a liberal Republican.”

“The odds are insurmountable. But then again, I’m the chair of the Bronx Republican party — when are the odds not insurmountable?” said Bronx GOP chair Mike Rendino.

Rendino is the owner of the famous Stan's Bar, a local hangout for Yankee fans in the Bronx during spring and summer games.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/01/14/catsimatidis-mulls-democratic-mayoral-run-as-nyc-republicans-weigh-a-post-trump-era-1357090
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »

Can Curtis Sliwa make headways in the race?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »

The NYCGOP is not relevant in this election, it's only a question of who they chose to get 25% to 30%

They are relevant, they are seen as the biggest supporters of the NYPD/FDNY, and they will get PBA/fire union support.

The unions will have to work with an overwhelmingly Democratic City Council and Democratic mayor to get some contract done or something......

Malliotakis got 27% citywide, in 2013, Lhota got 24%...

Sliwa may get 29%.......he will win Staten Island....the last Democrat to win SI was Ed Koch in 1985
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »

The NYCGOP is not relevant in this election, it's only a question of who they chose to get 25% to 30%
I wouldnt say that. Republicans have won before in NYC. Michael Bloomberg and Rudy Guliani were Republicans.

Exactly. This is 20 years after 9/11. Had there been no economic crisis or coronavirus, the NYGOP would have politicized the 9/11 anniversary. Rudy Giuliani is still around, and as long as he is not in jail by September, he will be at the 9/11 event, he has to.

He will be politicizing this and the NYCGOP candidate as well. As long as defund the police is still a thing, the NYCGOP will ALWAYS be relevant.

You are forgetting that Staten Island and southern Brooklyn still exist, and that a lot of the business and sports titans donate $$$$$ to the NYCGOP, which made Giuliani and Bloomberg possible.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »

I wouldnt say that. Republicans have won before in NYC. Michael Bloomberg and Rudy Guliani were Republicans.

That is true, but as long as the NYPD is around, the NYCGOP will always be relevant.....

That was over a decade ago and isn't really relevant to the current election.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies