NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:39:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127384 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »

Still think if AOC decided to run she'd be a strong candidate in the primary.

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

But neither AOC or Rose is particularly likely to run.

No thanks to Max Rose.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »

I like Corey Johnson because he stood up to Airbnb, but Yang is not a gimmick. I just don’t know where that idea comes from.

Everything about Yang 2020 was a gimmick. He was dubiously qualified, his plans ranged from the economically illiterate to the unconstitutional, and his support base was...memey...to say the least. And now you guys want this weirdo running a city of 8 million people. No thanks.

I didn’t agree we everything he proposed but his way of thinking in many ways has been entirely vindicated by the pandemic. You’re making him out as this memey weirdo like Kanye or Vermin Supreme. He’s an accomplished businesses man who has written extensively on socioeconomics. Sure some of his supporters are idiots but if we judged every candidate just on their worst supporter we’d get nowhere. Yang proved to be a far more seriously competitive candidate than many comparatively “serious” politicians. And I never even supported him for president.

So yes I want him to run my city of 8 million people.

Still not a particularly good endorsement. Being a second-rate businessman with a loose grasp of socioeconomics is not a strong rationale for electing someone mayor. My bet is that he'd try a few gimmicky reforms but fail miserably against NYC's enormous institutional intertia (the unions, NYPD, Wall Street, PANYNJ, the MTA) because at the end of the day, he has no idea how to run a city. I'm very unimpressed by the tech bro move-fast-and-break-things approach to municipal governance.

Loose grasp? Half his platform has been vindicated by the crisis. And I trust him to deal with the cogs of governance far more than any of the various ingrained city politicians who indebted to a collage of those groups. Yang has made no enemies or debts and I trust his ability to manage successfully.

Has it though? A couple stimulus checks is hardly an endorsement of Yang's platform. Anyone who thinks a UBI would reduce rather than exacerbate wealth inequality most certainly has a loose grasp on economics. Yang may not have any enemies, but he also has no friends. And nobody is going to break these institutions power alone. Yang's experience is essentially helping out a couple hundred entrepreneurs. Running a city as complicated as New York is several orders of magnitude more complicated and you can't learn on the job. NYC would be much better served by a reformist local politician who actually understands how the system works and has the experience to improve it. Yang isn't that person.

It's not the stimulus checks, it's the crisis itself which has accelerated the need for many of his policies. In New York City especially so. I would prefer a fresh face with a list of policies that make all the sense right now and an innovative approach to policy making to the alternatives.

Which ones make sense?

UBI?
The legion of builders and destroyers?
Modern time banking?
Data as intellectual property?
A Department of the Attention Economy?
Cutting funding to higher ed?

They're all absurd, and they do nothing to fix New York's three big problems: the MTA, housing affordability, and crooked law enforcement. C'mon, he doesn't have a clue how to make actual change and build coalitions in the areas that actually matter.

I don't think anyone calling himself Blairite can lecture anyone else about economical absurdity.
SInNYC

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2020, 10:15:53 PM »

Whether or not UBI makes sense at a national level, it has no bearing on whether it can or should be done at a city level. Cities (or states) have this thing called a budget, and also probably cant legally prevent benefits going to out-of-towners moving in.

Back to the original question, no love for Stringer here?

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2020, 10:29:01 PM »

Whether or not UBI makes sense at a national level, it has no bearing on whether it can or should be done at a city level. Cities (or states) have this thing called a budget, and also probably cant legally prevent benefits going to out-of-towners moving in.

Back to the original question, no love for Stringer here?

I don’t think there’s anything stopping some kind of limited test pilot
I’d be interested to see what yang proposes
Even if it’s not all New Yorkers I’d be interested

Stringer....eh. I suppose he’s alright, a decent money manager but I just don’t know much or find him very interesting.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 07:07:18 PM »

UBI has been proven to be entire successful, specifically in Finland and I see no reason why not to test pilot it in New York City.
Uh, not exactly. It hasn't delivered all the promised benefits and the downsides show up only after many years. And UBI wouldn't work at the municipal level for several deeply obvious reasons.

Why are you misconstruing my argument? There is no doubt in my mind he possesses a unique approach to policy making not shared by any of the other prominent names in contention.
I'm not. I just don't think his approach to policymaking is worthy of being taken seriously. All his flagship plans have shaky economics, are downright illegal, or don't actually solve any particularly important problems.

It is precisely because it's not an "actual NYC politician" they I have particular interest in him.
Right...because electing random outsiders is working our so great for America right now...

Also, Bloomberg wasn't experienced either (and while I'm not a fan of him), nobody can dispute he was capable of executing the job.
Bloomberg's pre-election experience was significantly more comprehensive and besides, my main critique of Yang isn't his inexperience but his "unique" (bad) approach to policymaking.

Andrew Yang isn't a child and I'm perplexed as to why you continue to make him out as some infantile meme obsessed joke when he ran a serious presidential campaign and has undeniable unique socioeconomic knowledge that he has put pen to paper on.
There's a big range in-between "infantile meme obsessed joke" and effective New York City mayor. While he may not be the former, he sure as hell isn't the latter. And I certainly wouldn't characterize Yang's presidential campaign as particularly successful or his socioeconomic knowledge as uniquely insigtful.

I don't think anyone calling himself Blairite can lecture anyone else about economical absurdity.
Yeah...because third way economics totally didn't produce the most prosperous society in human history lmao.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »

I'm surprised to see barely any mention of Maya Wiley on this thread. Her history with de Blasio may be a headache but she is a compelling figure who could probably develop wide appeal.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2020, 09:24:52 AM »

Corey Johnson! Corey Johnson! Corey Johnson!

He pissed off the left and the center by demanding that the NYPD be defunded and then refusing to do it. If I were him, I wouldn't even run.

I'm surprised to see barely any mention of Maya Wiley on this thread. Her history with de Blasio may be a headache but she is a compelling figure who could probably develop wide appeal.

This is the frontrunner IMO. We know they will have to be well left-of-center and popular with POC, and if she can overcome the DSA crowd's suspicion of her ties to de Blasio, I think she's a lock. But that's a big if.

AOC would do great, but she's gonna stay in the House for a while I think. Williams is obviously (and if there is a God successfully) going to challenge Cuomo in the gubernatorial primary. The only other two Democrats I could see making a successful run are Shaun Donovan (which would kinda suck tbh) and Scott Stringer (but I don't think it's likely with Wiley in the race)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2020, 05:33:01 PM »

https://abc7ny.com/politics/nyc-sanitation-chief-resigning-for-mayoral-bid-comptroller-also-running/6413747/

One new candidate and one possible new canididate.

Comptroller Scott Stringer announced his candidacy today.

In addition, a new name has surfaced as a possible candidate. Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia submitted her resignation today. She's currently exploring a run for Mayor.

What does everyone make of Stringer and Garcia's chances (especially Garcia)?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2020, 08:47:43 PM »

I liked Stringer's rollout
warandwar
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 08:50:12 AM »

Corey Johnson's not running anymore. Word is he's going to run against Carolyn Maloney instead. He's been on a tear recently - just called the cops on protestors for the crime of protesting near his house.
Babeuf

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 12:17:37 PM »

Lots of positive sounds / endorsements from left-wing electeds to the Stringer rollout. He endorsed many of them in their campaigns against IDC incumbents in 2018 and has positioned himself increasingly to the left in recent years.

Yuh-Line Niou, Robert Jackson, Jessica Ramos, Julia Salazar, and Alessandra Biaggi endorsed right away. Salazar is a DSA member / endorsee and the others are decisively on the left of the legislative caucuses.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »

Corey Johnson's not running anymore. Word is he's going to run against Carolyn Maloney instead. He's been on a tear recently - just called the cops on protestors for the crime of protesting near his house.

Johnson is a joke lol.

Who's that guy who has a picture of Maloney in his signature on here? He's not going to be happy.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »

Kathryn Garcia seems like the type of person NYC could benefit from electing right now.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 12:58:52 PM »

Johnson is a joke lol.

Who's that guy who has a picture of Maloney in his signature on here? He's not going to be happy.
He did that because he does everything as a meme. He ran for President in Atlasia as a meme.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »

Kathryn Garcia seems like the type of person NYC could benefit from electing right now.
Why?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »

UBI has worked successfully in nations with both populations and GDPs lower than that of New York City.

It's completely plausible under a Mayor Yang.

(source: has written undergrad research on UBI)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2020, 09:13:23 PM »

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2020, 09:14:31 PM »

If Vito Fossella ran, would he do well?

Fossella has name ID, is a fairly moderate Republican and could do well with Latino voters in NYC to win.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 03:46:24 AM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.

Staten Island is absolutely not representative of the city in general, nobody's interested in electing a Republican pretending to be a Democrat and whose career can be summed up as "I used to be in the military" and "I don't much care for the current mayor". But it's absolutely what he wants, why else would he be attacking de Blasio every other day? I think he's got a gut feeling he's getting tossed out in November so he wants to move up to Gracie mansion, which will give him an even bigger platform to pretend to be a Democrat and tell everyone he used to be in the military.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 08:02:14 AM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

Staten Island is absolutely not representative of the city in general, nobody's interested in electing a Republican pretending to be a Democrat and whose career can be summed up as "I used to be in the military" and "I don't much care for the current mayor". But it's absolutely what he wants, why else would he be attacking de Blasio every other day? I think he's got a gut feeling he's getting tossed out in November so he wants to move up to Gracie mansion, which will give him an even bigger platform to pretend to be a Democrat and tell everyone he used to be in the military.

You have a really strangely intense agenda against a guy who's governed as a completely generic centrist Democrat and wasn't around to make any particularly controversial votes.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

You have a really strangely intense agenda against a guy who's governed as a completely generic centrist Democrat and wasn't around to make any particularly controversial votes.

I think the fact that he's generic and hasn't done anything novel or controversial is pretty clearly the criticism, there.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2020, 08:31:04 AM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

I think the fact that he's generic and hasn't done anything novel or controversial is pretty clearly the criticism, there.

I mean, I don't think Rose would win the Mayoral election, nor do I think he's going to run. But the guy with a very telling screen name seems to REALLY dislike him. And lots of references to him serving in the military.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »

Why?

Not who you were asking but she's been de Blasio's go-to problem solver/crisis manager in City Hall & so she's earned a reputation there as an effective manager, which is obviously the complete opposite of de Blasio's status as NYC's current mayor-clown.

(Alternatively, perhaps Sev's intention was some sorta 'NYC is trash' joke since she's the Sanitation Commissioner?)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

I mean, I don't think Rose would win the Mayoral election, nor do I think he's going to run. But the guy with a very telling screen name seems to REALLY dislike him. And lots of references to him serving in the military.

Because that's his entire shtick. Every commercial and mailer is "former platoon leader Max Rose". It's what he has to lean on since his government accomplishments are non-existent. And I have to see him in the news whining about De Blasio all the time. He's definitely become one of my least favorite politicians, and definitely the worst local Democrat I can think of, short of Ruben Diaz Sr.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies