NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:46:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127268 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: June 21, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »

Someone did some backhand math for the memerson poll. I only note this cause it looks like there is significant ballot exhaustion from both Wiley and Stringer.

This suggests that Yang telling his voters to rank Garcia number 2 might just swing the election. Obviously both knew that from their own polling. It is interesting how the lion's share of the Wiley vote goes to Garcia and not Adams.

And I see the next post below suggests that Wiley does not want Adams to win the gold either.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1476 on: June 21, 2021, 12:50:49 PM »

That was a good statement from Wiley. I'd probably move her up to 2nd if I were a New Yorker. Still think Garcia is the right person for the moment, though she's without a doubt a bit more conservative than I'd like, she's far superior to Adams (his views on online schooling alone should've sunk him) and not an inexperienced gaffe machine like Yang.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1477 on: June 21, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »

PredictIt update:

Adams - 61
Garcia - 18 (major dip)
Yang - 15
Wiley - 9 (!)
Sliwa - 3

Everyone else at 1
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1478 on: June 21, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »

PredictIt update:

Adams - 61
Garcia - 18 (major dip)
Yang - 15
Wiley - 9 (!)
Sliwa - 3

Everyone else at 1

Sliwa at 3 is still too high.

Also Garcia seems undervalued in this
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1479 on: June 21, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »

I honestly thing the cross endorsement with Yang, especially after the debate, is going to cost Garcia the election
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1480 on: June 21, 2021, 01:53:43 PM »

I honestly thing the cross endorsement with Yang, especially after the debate, is going to cost Garcia the election

It might, but I think it was decided to be worth the risk to more likely than not lose votes, in exchange for having an outside chance of getting enough extra Yang votes to give Garcia an outside shot of winning. In other words the right side of the skewed and rather flat bell curve of possible outcomes, has a bit more than before of it over 50% in the final round than before, even while the median outcome might be lower.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1481 on: June 21, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »

God Eric Adams is cynical.

What does Yang get if Garcia wins? I don't understand why he wants to stop Adams, is there some bad blood between the two or something?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1482 on: June 21, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »

What does Yang get if Garcia wins? I don't understand why he wants to stop Adams, is there some bad blood between the two or something?

Yang and Adams seem to legit hate each other's guts. On the other hand, Yang seems to genuinely like Garcia.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1483 on: June 21, 2021, 03:15:57 PM »

When does Eric Adams not lie

warandwar
United States

« Reply #1484 on: June 21, 2021, 03:54:04 PM »

Worked in the real sticks today - by redfern houses in Far Rock. Only signs visible were McGuire and Wiley - should tell you something about Wiley's field reach (1199 doesnt play around)
JMT

« Reply #1485 on: June 21, 2021, 04:04:09 PM »

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1486 on: June 21, 2021, 04:10:24 PM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

My guess is a lot of late deciders will feel the same way.  Garcia has her own strengths but also makes for a reasonable "none of the above" choice.  Most importantly, it seems like there's nothing actively repulsive about her, like there is with Yang or this clown Adams.

Ironically, Wiley would probably have a better chance if she wasn't endorsed by AOC.  I'd never heard of her but I would never vote for AOC's candidate if I lived in NYC.

It's heartening that even General MacArthur can't stand Eric Adams.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1487 on: June 21, 2021, 04:18:16 PM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

My guess is a lot of late deciders will feel the same way.  Garcia has her own strengths but also makes for a reasonable "none of the above" choice.  Most importantly, it seems like there's nothing actively repulsive about her, like there is with Yang or this clown Adams.

Ironically, Wiley would probably have a better chance if she wasn't endorsed by AOC.  I'd never heard of her but I would never vote for AOC's candidate if I lived in NYC.

It's heartening that even General MacArthur can't stand Eric Adams.

The unique thing about Eric Adams is that no matter your political leaning, he has given you a reason to hate him.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1488 on: June 21, 2021, 04:51:28 PM »

Yang and Adams seem to legit hate each other's guts. On the other hand, Yang seems to genuinely like Garcia.

Right, it seems that Yang has taken Adams's attacks on him very personally and perceived many of them as covertly racist. And I do think Yang is extremely cynical of machine politicians generally, and Adams is really the worst of that sort.

I don't quite understand why Yang in particular likes Garcia except that she is a plausible moderate alternative to Adams and is the best chance to beat Adams. I think the policing issue is an unsurmountable barrier to Yang endorsing Wiley as a third choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if there had been at least some discussion behind the scenes between their campaigns of Wiley joining the Yang-Garcia anti-Adams coalition.

If Garcia does win, I think in future RCV elections in NYC we'll see a lot of cross-endorsing and alliances, as it feels like Yang throwing his support behind Garcia as a second-choice could really swing a lot of voters, particularly Asian American voters (I kind of doubt Yang's ultra-Orthodox Jewish bloc cares much about the cross-endorsement), behind her once Yang is eliminated (and it's extra good as an anti-Adams project as many of those voters might have otherwise had Adams as a second choice).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1489 on: June 21, 2021, 06:21:55 PM »

A Mayor Garcia & the lack of a Mayor Adams. He's made clear over the course of this campaign that he genuinely considers Garcia to be the 2nd-best person on the ballot besides him, & so he doesn't really have a problem elevating her like this. Compare that to Adams, whom Yang really just sees as laughably corrupt, dishonest & deceitful, & just so awful all-around that he wants him nowhere near power because he'd actively be a disaster for the city. Like him or not, Yang does seem to want what he thinks is best for NYC, & so he has no problem utilizing a little of his remaining political leverage for what he thinks is best &/or called for, at the very least: an Anybody-But-Adams RCV-campaign, which makes sense when he never really attacked any of the other candidates, since he doesn't think that anybody else would be as bad as a "Mayor Adams."
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1490 on: June 21, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »

I like how Yang strongly praised Garcia and outright told his supporters to pick her number two, but she refused to do either in return LOL. He must really hate Adams. This late game plot twist certainly could shake things up.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1491 on: June 21, 2021, 07:12:15 PM »

My final ballot:

1) Prince
2) Chang
3) Garcia
4) Yang
5) Wiley

Unfortunately, it looks like the corrupt racist lunatic will win here. RIP New York City — and with it, likely, the United States.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1492 on: June 21, 2021, 07:20:22 PM »

Final prediction:

Adams will win the primary, with Garcia, Yang, and Wiley getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place respectively. Adams will therefore become the next mayor of NYC after winning the general election on November 2nd. Meanwhile, Curtis Sliwa will win the republican primary.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1493 on: June 21, 2021, 07:20:33 PM »

My final ballot:

1) Prince
2) Chang
3) Garcia
4) Yang
5) Wiley

Unfortunately, it looks like the corrupt racist lunatic will win here. RIP New York City — and with it, likely, the United States.
NYC had a corrupt, racist lunatic mayor from 1994-2014 and yet it survived. It will again.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1494 on: June 21, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »

I wonder if a Garcia-Yang cross-endorsement failure would push future candidates to cross-endorse less or earlier.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1495 on: June 21, 2021, 08:40:34 PM »

My final ballot:

1) Prince
2) Chang
3) Garcia
4) Yang
5) Wiley

I hate Adams as much as the next guy, probably more actually, but isn't that a tad hyperbolic? I really fail to see how Eric Adams winning the NYC mayoral election will bring about the end of the United States.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1496 on: June 21, 2021, 08:59:30 PM »

My final ballot:

1) Prince
2) Chang
3) Garcia
4) Yang
5) Wiley

I hate Adams as much as the next guy, probably more actually, but isn't that a tad hyperbolic? I really fail to see how Eric Adams winning the NYC mayoral election will bring about the end of the United States.

The hell march of zoom summer school will trample over all liberty.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1497 on: June 21, 2021, 09:07:51 PM »

Finally seeing ads for the Republican, his pitch is he's more Trumpy than Sliwa lol.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1498 on: June 21, 2021, 09:59:57 PM »

My final ballot:

1) Prince
2) Chang
3) Garcia
4) Yang
5) Wiley

Luckily NYC isn’t that important.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1499 on: June 21, 2021, 10:54:55 PM »

My final ballot:

1) Prince
2) Chang
3) Garcia
4) Yang
5) Wiley

Luckily NYC isn’t that important.

It is important, but the mayor doesn't have the power the media portrays. The 2022 Gubernatorial election will be much more important.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies