NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:00:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127256 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: June 11, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »
« edited: June 11, 2021, 09:30:04 PM by KaiserDave »

I've been talking about this for months. It's very very deranged and instantly disqualifying.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #1301 on: June 11, 2021, 09:59:18 PM »

"Progressive" activists and the media were too busy destroying Yang to care about the insane right-wing things Adam was saying a few months ago.

I mean, that's not really surprising when you consider that Yang is a nationally-known figure who attracted a lot of attention during his 2020 presidential bid and Adams is probably completely unknown to everyone who doesn't live in NYC. (And I believe that Yang had the upper hand in this race until very recently, so he'll naturally catch the most scrutiny.)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1302 on: June 11, 2021, 10:59:15 PM »

Eric Adams is far worse than I ever thought.
This man is a f**king sociopath.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1303 on: June 12, 2021, 12:19:02 AM »

"Progressive" activists and the media were too busy destroying Yang to care about the insane right-wing things Adam was saying a few months ago.

I mean, that's not really surprising when you consider that Yang is a nationally-known figure who attracted a lot of attention during his 2020 presidential bid and Adams is probably completely unknown to everyone who doesn't live in NYC. (And I believe that Yang had the upper hand in this race until very recently, so he'll naturally catch the most scrutiny.)

This was certainly true for me. I had no idea who Adams was until about a month or two ago, when I began to pay more attention to the mayoral race.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1304 on: June 12, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »

Eric Adams is far worse than I ever thought.

This is exactly what makes me puzzled as to why Adams is #1 right now???
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1305 on: June 12, 2021, 09:47:42 AM »

Dan and I watched the debate, and we both had the same impressions, not really knowing any of the candidates very well:

Garcia: smart, informed, articulate, disciplined, good temperament: #1
Adams: good temperament, OK but not great as to knowledge, means well: #2 barely
Yang: Smart, knowledgeable, and what he does not know, should be a quick study on, but shrill, and not a good temperament, and the least likable candidate: #3, but close call
Wiley: Bold politically correct progressive, but disciplined, not shrill or demagogic sounding, smart and informed: #4, but closely bunched with Adams and Yang. They all have their pluses and minuses. None appear to me to be a clear and present danger to the city if elected.
Stringer: #5. An utter hack, disingenuous to the core. Cringe worthy. We would not allow him into our home
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1306 on: June 12, 2021, 10:13:33 AM »

Today is the first day of early voting, and I voted this morning as I'll be away from home starting Monday and would have trouble voting later than today or tomorrow. Turnout was non-zero (more than just my husband and I were there) but very light. Hoping Garcia manages to pull it out.

Took a long time to put together my preferences for races other than mayor last night (there are a lot - Comptroller, City Council and others), and I suspect most people will not fill out lower preferences for those races or choose some nonsense pattern for them.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1307 on: June 12, 2021, 02:10:37 PM »

Today is the first day of early voting, and I voted this morning as I'll be away from home starting Monday and would have trouble voting later than today or tomorrow. Turnout was non-zero (more than just my husband and I were there) but very light. Hoping Garcia manages to pull it out.

Took a long time to put together my preferences for races other than mayor last night (there are a lot - Comptroller, City Council and others), and I suspect most people will not fill out lower preferences for those races or choose some nonsense pattern for them.

The sheer magnitude of this election is honestly astounding, NYC is about to get a whole new government
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1308 on: June 12, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »

Voting tomorrow.

Excited, also scared
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #1309 on: June 12, 2021, 02:31:07 PM »

Cast my ballot this morning, practically empty at my early voting site.

Hoping Wiley or Garcia can pull it out, along with Brad Lander. Not super worried about the rest of the races on my ballot, my first choice for each seems like the most likely winner.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1310 on: June 12, 2021, 03:48:24 PM »

Yang has proven in more than a few ways over the course of this campaign that he's not the best, but given that all of the polling now shows that the final round will be Adams vs. [Somebody], I hope & pray that enough people who support Garcia (who I'm pretty sure my family in NYC has decided to go with as their #1), Wiley, Donovan, Morales, Stringer, etc. just rank Yang as their #5 in order to try & stop Adams. Say what can be said about Yang, but at worst (or best, depending on one's perspective), he'd just be a figurehead who lets technocratic bureaucrats like Garcia run the city in a Bloomberg-esque manner (sans stop-&-frisk) while he does nothing but undertake photo-ops for 8 straight years, while the thought of a Mayor Adams implementing his policy proposals - especially that god-awful education plan - is just legitimately scary, as is some on the left's shortsighted talk about not ranking Yang or Adams at all just to send a message when Adams is clearly so much worse than Yang. While Yang may not be the best, Adams' policies might just be actively destructive. Isn't this what RCV is meant for: going with your heart early on, then using your brain (cue "lesser of 2 evils") in later rounds?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1311 on: June 12, 2021, 09:01:23 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2021, 09:38:58 AM by KaiserDave »

The left made a critical error in bashing Yang and not Adams.

Yang is a foolish incompetent, but Adams is dangerous.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1312 on: June 13, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »

Christ… every time one of these people open their mouths I think I shouldn’t even bother ranking them.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1313 on: June 13, 2021, 03:08:59 PM »

Christ… every time one of these people open their mouths I think I shouldn’t even bother ranking them.

I'll admit Wiley has said some dumb stuff before, but there's nothing wrong with this. I don't even see how this is bad, confronting the housing crisis and police reform are both very noble goals.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1314 on: June 13, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »

I voted for Mayor

1. Maya Wiley
2. Kathryn Garcia
3. Shaun Donovan
4. Art Chang
5. Andrew Yang
compucomp

« Reply #1315 on: June 13, 2021, 06:54:29 PM »

I hope the silent majority in NYC shows up to vote in this primary and rejects this kind of thinking. The renaissance in NYC of the last decade, with capital, wealth, and new residents flowing into the area, happened as a direct result of lowering crime and pro-development policies, and people like Wiley just want to throw all that away in the name of wokeness. It cannot possibly be true that New Yorkers actually want their city to go back to the way it was in the 1970's and 1980's. It should help that moderates who would have registered as Republicans in the past are probably registered as Democrats now.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1316 on: June 13, 2021, 07:07:51 PM »

Disturbing.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1317 on: June 13, 2021, 10:57:53 PM »

I'll admit Wiley has said some dumb stuff before, but there's nothing wrong with this. I don't even see how this is bad, confronting the housing crisis and police reform are both very noble goals.

It's that her solutions are awful. "Confront the developers" as a response to homelessness makes zero sense. It's NIMBY nonsense.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1318 on: June 13, 2021, 11:26:16 PM »

I hope the silent majority in NYC shows up to vote in this primary and rejects this kind of thinking. The renaissance in NYC of the last decade, with capital, wealth, and new residents flowing into the area, happened as a direct result of lowering crime and pro-development policies, and people like Wiley just want to throw all that away in the name of wokeness. It cannot possibly be true that New Yorkers actually want their city to go back to the way it was in the 1970's and 1980's. It should help that moderates who would have registered as Republicans in the past are probably registered as Democrats now.

I never took you for a anti-poor type guy.

No, NYC is not in a Renaissance right now. New York is an unlivable mess due to the housing crisis. And it's mostly thanks to people like Stephen Ross, responsible for the Hudson Yards abortion, building luxury housing and condos everywhere to make maximum profit instead of badly needed high density housing that would actually keep up with the demand. It's happening to some extent in every city, but New York needs to be different to adapt and continue being a mecca for everyone who wants to come. And not just spoiled brats with daddy's credit card, Chinese tourists, and Google employees.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1319 on: June 14, 2021, 05:57:28 AM »

It's that her solutions are awful. "Confront the developers" as a response to homelessness makes zero sense. It's NIMBY nonsense.
When Stephen Ross is spending millions to influence this race and pushing a very regressive tough on crime message, of course it makes sense. Don't be so dense.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1320 on: June 14, 2021, 06:00:52 AM »

I voted:
Write-in
Paperboy
Wiley
Almost filled in Garbage Lady but couldnt bring myself to do it.

Very sparse turnout at the Brooklyn Museum. But i got to fist bump the DSA candidate in my district and i told a Corey staffer to eff off.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1321 on: June 14, 2021, 06:05:11 AM »

Can you explain this to me? "The left" is certainly bashing Adams right now, with Our City and all that. There were big meetings to coordinate anti-Yang and anti-Adams messaging like 2 months ago. You're not going to be able to escape it, soon enough!
As a city employee, i personally think Yang will be a worse boss for me than Adams lol.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1322 on: June 14, 2021, 07:29:06 AM »

Can you explain this to me? "The left" is certainly bashing Adams right now, with Our City and all that. There were big meetings to coordinate anti-Yang and anti-Adams messaging like 2 months ago. You're not going to be able to escape it, soon enough!
As a city employee, i personally think Yang will be a worse boss for me than Adams lol.

I think they’re refering to Adams being “out there” with that “give Teachers a village to teach” comment
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1323 on: June 14, 2021, 07:34:25 AM »

Wiley is blaming developers for the homeless crisis. That's woefully inaccurate.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1324 on: June 14, 2021, 07:38:37 AM »

I'm not exactly sure why we can't be opposed to both Adams and Yang and view them both as dangerous and/or unqualified candidates? I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Regardless of how you feel about other candidates in the race, if you're on the left, there's plenty of reason to feel nervous about both of them.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies