NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 06:33:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 131045 times)
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: May 29, 2021, 12:04:26 AM »

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1101 on: May 29, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »

Sanpellegrino is like the perfect analogy for how Yang's campaign fits in NYC lmao
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1102 on: May 29, 2021, 12:12:29 AM »

Why?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1103 on: May 29, 2021, 03:51:09 AM »

Anyways, progressives following the Joshua Collins blueprint will fail 10/10 times. This should come as no surprise.

The Bernie/DSA universe is entering a new low on their rollercoaster of momentum.
Not exactly the case — there is a reason DSA & AOC deliberately chose not to endorse Morales (and there's a reason Our Revolution solo endorsed Wiley). There’s obviously some overlap, but the Morales campaign was (the past tense is, I think, appropriate) fundamentally a left-liberal endeavor led by groups like the Working Families Party and various nonprofit orgs and progressive clubs. DSA & co. have been focused on a handful of City Council candidates. The difference reflects different political strategies and different theories of change — and one, I think, has been borne out more than the other.

And what chance do those City Council candidates stand? This on top of having no true candidate for Mayor of one of the biggest cities in America, losing almost all recognition by the Biden administration, constant collapses by popular candidates (Collins, Morales, etc) and endless infighting (Green Party civil war, Breadtube's inability to go from debate club to tangible political change, The People's Party vs. Green Party dilemma); the BernieBros aren't really up to much good these days outside of interesting Twitter threads and Youtube videos. A major reason why I've felt myself shifting back to the center as of late.

I'd rather support a Democrat or Republican who still disappoints me than the non-existent DemSoc candidate.

The Green Party? Really?

That + Whatever Breadtube is + not getting involved in the NYC Mayoral race ≠ "A new low" for the Bernie/DSA universe.

Me thinks you're moving the goalposts just a little bit.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1104 on: May 29, 2021, 04:29:04 AM »

Anyways, progressives following the Joshua Collins blueprint will fail 10/10 times. This should come as no surprise.

The Bernie/DSA universe is entering a new low on their rollercoaster of momentum.
Not exactly the case — there is a reason DSA & AOC deliberately chose not to endorse Morales (and there's a reason Our Revolution solo endorsed Wiley). There’s obviously some overlap, but the Morales campaign was (the past tense is, I think, appropriate) fundamentally a left-liberal endeavor led by groups like the Working Families Party and various nonprofit orgs and progressive clubs. DSA & co. have been focused on a handful of City Council candidates. The difference reflects different political strategies and different theories of change — and one, I think, has been borne out more than the other.

And what chance do those City Council candidates stand? This on top of having no true candidate for Mayor of one of the biggest cities in America, losing almost all recognition by the Biden administration, constant collapses by popular candidates (Collins, Morales, etc) and endless infighting (Green Party civil war, Breadtube's inability to go from debate club to tangible political change, The People's Party vs. Green Party dilemma); the BernieBros aren't really up to much good these days outside of interesting Twitter threads and Youtube videos. A major reason why I've felt myself shifting back to the center as of late.

I'd rather support a Democrat or Republican who still disappoints me than the non-existent DemSoc candidate.

The Green Party? Really?

That + Whatever Breadtube is + not getting involved in the NYC Mayoral race ≠ "A new low" for the Bernie/DSA universe.

Me thinks you're moving the goalposts just a little bit.

Breadtube is the semi-ironic name given to a genre of youtube videos, where middle-class kids in their late 20s use their college degrees to make informative youtube videos about a range of subjects. To be truly breadtube, the video must pivot to some endorsement of lefty politics in the last 15 minutes or so, or have a consistent political throughline.

It's a phenomenon I have mixed feelings about, but I'll tell you one thing, it's pretty irrelevant to a discussion about the 2021 NYC mayoral election.

I'm pretty sure that these kids basically want to present their viewpoint, and none of them are particularly focused on political change outside of specific advocacy. Really not sure what it has to do with broader leftist infighting.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1105 on: May 29, 2021, 04:59:57 AM »

With crime through the roof, can someone explain why Dianne Morales wants to “defund the police?”

I get that we need to focus on some of the material conditions associated with criminality, but giving less money to the police is surely not the solution.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1106 on: May 29, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »

I was canvassing for a DSA candidate and a 70 year old West Indian woman told me she appreciated his stances on tenants issues but couldn't vote for him because of Breadtube infighting.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1107 on: May 29, 2021, 10:02:07 AM »

https://nypost.com/2021/05/27/eric-adams-says-he-wants-retirement-home-in-israel/

A Jewish weekly publication, Mishpacha, asked the Brooklyn borough president if he would be an advocate for Israel as have other mayors. [...] Asked what part of Israel he would choose, Adams said with a laugh, “In the Golan Heights.”

[...]

He called Yang a “shiny new toy” while likening himself to a “Microsoft investment.”

“The second you see that the shiny new toy is no longer so shiny, and Eric’s message is getting out, don’t allow someone else to take your investment away. I am your Microsoft,” he said.

"Retiring to Israel" is the most shameless act of political pandering I've seen since Newt Gingrich went to the Space Coast and promised to build a Moon Base of thousands of Americans
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1108 on: May 29, 2021, 10:08:59 AM »

I was canvassing for a DSA candidate and a 70 year old West Indian woman told me she appreciated his stances on tenants issues but couldn't vote for him because of Breadtube infighting.

Implying they'd vote for him anyway
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1109 on: May 29, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »

She said she would. Him and Eric Adams.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1110 on: May 29, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »

DSA Electing LEOs Caucus Time
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1111 on: May 29, 2021, 10:23:04 AM »

If you have never spent time talking to older folks in Brooklyn, you wouldn't know, but Eric Adams' appeal isn't that he's a LEO, it's that he's been "in the community" for years. He has a good personal network.
Oppo

« Reply #1112 on: May 29, 2021, 11:09:27 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 11:15:16 AM by Oppo »

• advocated for racial profiling as an NYPD officer
  • was a staunch supporter of Louis Farrakhan
  • was a self-described conservative Republican and ally of Giuliani until 2002
  • called Herman Badillo a race traitor for marrying a Jewish woman
  • helped bring about Giuliani’s victory by telling black people not to vote for Dinkins because he condemned the Nation of Islam
  • defended domestic abuser Hiram Monserrate until this February
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1113 on: May 29, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »

More stories of incompetence for pre scandal Dianne campaign.

Had no plans for TV ads for contrived inane woke reasons I still don't fully understand.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1114 on: May 29, 2021, 11:30:45 AM »

• helped bring about Giuliani’s victory by telling black people not to vote for Dinkins because he condemned the Nation of Islam

This is genuinely about the fifth time this has been said in this thread like jeez how can anyone on this site support him
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1115 on: May 29, 2021, 11:40:42 AM »

This is genuinely about the fifth time this has been said in this thread like jeez how can anyone on this site support him

Yeah, Yang is kind of a clueless dilletante, but that can be fixed by good advisors. We don't know which Eric Adams we would get, but all the options are pretty terrible.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1116 on: May 29, 2021, 11:42:25 AM »

Absurd smears here:
  • Eric Adams was literally a victim of police brutality before becoming a police officer and he was part of separate Black police officer organizations aligned with Dinkins that were always critical of police brutality, racism in policing etc. This is possibly the only consistent part of his record as a politician.
  • Jesse Jackson publicly campaigned with Farrakhan until it was inconvenient to do so as well in 1984. Eric Adams being aligned with Farrakhan for a time mostly tells me that he's a Black politician.
  • Eric Adams was certainly race-baiting against Badillo but implying that he was being anti-Semitic is strange given that his race-baiting would have applied if Badillo was married to an Italian or Irish.
  • Everyone knows that Eric Adams supported Dinkins in 1993.

Eric Adams is certainly a sketchy character but I do not find the narrative against him to be particularly compelling. The most intense detractors of Eric Adams imply that he is both a closet Republican reactionary while also being a vicious anti-Semitic Black separatist. Partial bits of information are aggregated to glide over the fact that Eric Adams was a pretty typical Black cop (aligned with Dinkins, critic of police brutality), that he was an early supporter of same-sex marriage (this defies the idea that he's some kind of clear-cut separatist bigot or whatever), that he was an early opponent of "Stop and Frisk" etc.

Basically all of these candidates are awful so haters of Eric Adams are aware that they have to paint him as the worst possible piece of excrement in order to make him seem undesirable. The truth is far more complicated than that. Adams is a political chameleon who is currently running as a man of the people. Considering who his opponents are, this is a very potent message. I do not foresee the others being able to stop him...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1117 on: May 29, 2021, 11:48:16 AM »

DSA Electing LEOs Caucus Time

If the DSA wanted, it could probably easily find retired Black police officers who embrace social democratic politics and police reform. If I had to guess, Krasner easily won a majority of retired Black police officer votes.

If you want police reform, it would probably help to have a large number of personnel in police departments who are aligned with your agenda. Activist left often flails around because it sees some of these institutions as being inherently icky. This attitude is absurd.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1118 on: May 29, 2021, 11:54:57 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 12:01:04 PM by MAGugh »

More stories of incompetence for pre scandal Dianne campaign.

Had no plans for TV ads for contrived inane woke reasons I still don't fully understand.

Lots of money but not a lot of clear spending plans.

Hm...

She might go down as worse than Joshua Collins by the end of this lmao
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1119 on: May 29, 2021, 12:01:56 PM »

Absurd smears here:
  • Eric Adams was literally a victim of police brutality before becoming a police officer and he was part of separate Black police officer organizations aligned with Dinkins that were always critical of police brutality, racism in policing etc. This is possibly the only consistent part of his record as a politician.
  • Jesse Jackson publicly campaigned with Farrakhan until it was inconvenient to do so as well in 1984. Eric Adams being aligned with Farrakhan for a time mostly tells me that he's a Black politician.
  • Eric Adams was certainly race-baiting against Badillo but implying that he was being anti-Semitic is strange given that his race-baiting would have applied if Badillo was married to an Italian or Irish.
  • Everyone knows that Eric Adams supported Dinkins in 1993.

Eric Adams is certainly a sketchy character but I do not find the narrative against him to be particularly compelling. The most intense detractors of Eric Adams imply that he is both a closet Republican reactionary while also being a vicious anti-Semitic Black separatist. Partial bits of information are aggregated to glide over the fact that Eric Adams was a pretty typical Black cop (aligned with Dinkins, critic of police brutality), that he was an early supporter of same-sex marriage (this defies the idea that he's some kind of clear-cut separatist bigot or whatever), that he was an early opponent of "Stop and Frisk" etc.

Basically all of these candidates are awful so haters of Eric Adams are aware that they have to paint him as the worst possible piece of excrement in order to make him seem undesirable. The truth is far more complicated than that. Adams is a political chameleon who is currently running as a man of the people. Considering who his opponents are, this is a very potent message. I do not foresee the others being able to stop him...

First off I don't think Adams is a homophobe (source am gay), and I don't think any one has said that. Secondly there are two biggest faults with Adams which you only touched on. Perhaps what should automatically disqualify him is the fact he enthusiastically and continuously defended a domestic abuser even after it was obvious he was guilty.

When you look at how he went out of his way to defend Farrakhan after Owens denounced him for anti-Semitism, and how he specifically went out of his way to attack Badillo for marrying a Jewish woman a pattern starts to emerge. When there's smoke there's fire, and while Adams may not be anti-Semitic himself, he probably is apathetic towards the Jewish community and now just using them for political capital in the election, which leads me to one thing I think is the worst about Adams is that he seems to have no true beliefs, but just trying to climb the ladder and putting on whatever mask can serve him best, the same as Morales
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1120 on: May 29, 2021, 12:13:07 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 12:17:38 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

At the end of the day, you'll have a hard time convincing me that any of the other candidates are worth supporting. This is one of the worst fields that I've ever encountered over the past 15 years. Shaun Donovan is mentally subnormal, Andrew Yang is a MLM scammer, Wiley is much the same (neither of those two have qualifications to be Mayor and are jokes), Stringer is almost certainly some kind of criminal (sex pest, corrupt or both), Adams is a political chameleon and sketchy character who is qualified to be Mayor but also probably some kind of criminal.

In light of this, I find it hard to take seriously epic takedowns of Eric Adams as some kind of uniquely bad candidate. This is mostly because it strikes me as being dishonest. He has a track record in politics so he has baggage. Other candidates lack baggage because they are newcomers to politics. This does not really make them better - I'm sure Andrew Yang or Maya Wiley would have an unbroken string of failures or hypocrisies if they were in politics for 30 years. Frankly, the same goes for Garcia as well.

I don't think any kind of social democrat or socialist has anyone to support in this race. Pick your poison I guess. If you want to start hyping Wiley or Stringer, go ahead but I don't think it's worth wasting your time. 
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1121 on: May 29, 2021, 12:14:56 PM »

At the end of the day, you'll have a hard time convincing me that any of the other candidates are worth supporting. This is one of the worst fields that I've ever encountered over the past 15 years. Shaun Donovan is mentally subnormal...

bruh lmao
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1122 on: May 29, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »

At the end of the day, you'll have a hard time convincing me that any of the other candidates are worth supporting. This is one of the worst fields that I've ever encountered over the past 15 years. Shaun Donovan is mentally subnormal...

bruh lmao

Somehow even worse than the Democratic primary in 2020 when there were exactly three credible candidates in the end - Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Amy Klobuchar, two of whom are geriatrics on the constant verge of death and one of whom is mentally unstable. At least in that race there were credible candidates though and one of them is one of the best politicians of the past 50 years...
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1123 on: May 29, 2021, 12:21:18 PM »

And what chance do those City Council candidates stand?

The NYC DSA endorsed six candidates for city council:
Michael Hollingsworth in D35
Jaslin Kaur in D23
Adolfo Abreu in D14
Brandon West in D39
Tiffany Cabán Purple heart in D22
Alexa Avilés in D38

D14, 35, 39, and 38 have term-limited incumbents. The incumbent is retiring in D23, and the D22 seat is vacant iirc. So, right there, the DSA is acting smart by targeting open seats instead of investing heavily in an uphill primary a la Justice Dems.

Abreu is endorsed by Jabari Brisport and the WFP. His only real competition is Pierina Sanchez, a Ritchie Torres and UFT endorsee.

Cabán, being a known entity in NY, should have this in the bag. She's endorsed by a dozen orgs and the NYS progs.

Kaur also has the support of a dozen orgs (WFP, 1199SEIU ,Sunrise), but this is a crowded field.

Hollingsworth has a fair shot, but his opponent, Crystal Hudson, is supported by Hakeem Jeffries and Jessica Ramos.

Avilés appears to be the only prominent candidate in D38. This is Menchaca's seat.

Last, the D39 race will likely be close between West and Shahana Hanif. Anyone's guess.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1124 on: May 29, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 01:31:23 PM by KaiserDave »

And what chance do those City Council candidates stand?

The NYC DSA endorsed six candidates for city council:
Michael Hollingsworth in D35
Jaslin Kaur in D23
Adolfo Abreu in D14
Brandon West in D39
Tiffany Cabán Purple heart in D22
Alexa Avilés in D38

D14, 35, 39, and 38 have term-limited incumbents. The incumbent is retiring in D23, and the D22 seat is vacant iirc. So, right there, the DSA is acting smart by targeting open seats instead of investing heavily in an uphill primary a la Justice Dems.

Abreu is endorsed by Jabari Brisport and the WFP. His only real competition is Pierina Sanchez, a Ritchie Torres and UFT endorsee.

Cabán, being a known entity in NY, should have this in the bag. She's endorsed by a dozen orgs and the NYS progs.

Kaur also has the support of a dozen orgs (WFP, 1199SEIU ,Sunrise), but this is a crowded field.

Hollingsworth has a fair shot, but his opponent, Crystal Hudson, is supported by Hakeem Jeffries and Jessica Ramos.

Avilés appears to be the only prominent candidate in D38. This is Menchaca's seat.

Last, the D39 race will likely be close between West and Shahana Hanif. Anyone's guess.

D 39 will probably/possibly go to someone other than those 2. Rein alone is stronger.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies