NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:09:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 128255 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: May 27, 2021, 10:06:51 PM »

She never had a chance of winning but yikes.

... Jumaane really should have run this time, probably the only thing that could have avoided a further right mayor than De Blasio (I consider Stringer around the same as de Blasio ideologically, obviously some differences though).

Jumaane has been planning to run for Governor for over a year now
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1076 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:19 PM »

How bad of a candidate do you have to be for your volunteers, people who support you so much they go out of their way to help you for free go on strike???

And that's why supporting Dianne at this point is bad. Quite bad.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1077 on: May 27, 2021, 10:14:18 PM »

Anyhow, this is actually the first time in which I've been able to check in on this race in the last few days, so seeing Garciamentum followed by Morales' implosion is... something. Definitely invokes some memories of how the Anybody-But-Quinn people successfully quashed her front-runner status back in 2013 by consolidating their support around de Blasio - all while Weiner was imploding - just a few weeks before the primary. History may not repeat, but it definitely rhymes.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1078 on: May 27, 2021, 10:17:37 PM »

How bad of a candidate do you have to be for your volunteers, people who support you so much they go out of their way to help you for free go on strike???

Freaking Paperboy Love Prince is honestly my 3rd choice right now just for how bad everyone else is
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1079 on: May 27, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »

Anyhow, this is actually the first time in which I've been able to check in on this race in the last few days, so seeing Garciamentum followed by Morales' implosion is... something. Definitely invokes some memories of how the Anybody-But-Quinn people successfully quashed her front-runner status back in 2013 by consolidating their support around de Blasio - all while Weiner was imploding - just a few weeks before the primary. History may not repeat, but it definitely rhymes.

Why were people against Quinn?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1080 on: May 27, 2021, 10:29:13 PM »

Why were people against Quinn?

Because she was literally just "Bloomberg but with a "(D)" this time" & NYC c. 2013 was done with Bloomberg.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1081 on: May 28, 2021, 03:56:00 AM »

Ok I've been off the grid for two weeks, and I have no idea what's going on. Wasn't Garcia polling at like 3% two weeks ago? Can anyone explain in as much detail as possible what transpired in this timespan?
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #1082 on: May 28, 2021, 04:32:03 AM »

Ok I've been off the grid for two weeks, and I have no idea what's going on. Wasn't Garcia polling at like 3% two weeks ago? Can anyone explain in as much detail as possible what transpired in this timespan?

She got the endorsement of the NYT and the other candidates were busy imploding and fighting with each other.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1083 on: May 28, 2021, 06:12:14 AM »

I’m pretty comfortable with the $10 I put on Yang winning the mayor race. Ultimately the man has the name recognition and a strong game for those #2 and #3 spots.

I don’t want it to be so, but Yang is going to win, but barely so.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1084 on: May 28, 2021, 06:51:07 AM »

She never had a chance of winning but yikes.

... Jumaane really should have run this time, probably the only thing that could have avoided a further right mayor than De Blasio (I consider Stringer around the same as de Blasio ideologically, obviously some differences though).

Jumaane has been planning to run for Governor for over a year now
Yes, Jumaane is exclusively thinking statewide. He's very ambitious
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1085 on: May 28, 2021, 06:52:58 AM »

Imagine what a Morales City Hall would have looked like

Mayhem and incompetence

Garcia is too conservative for my taste but at least she knows how to get things done and keep the wheels running
Incredibly funny to imagine what contract negotiations with DC37 or TWU 100 would have been like.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1086 on: May 28, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »

Freaking Paperboy Love Prince is honestly my 3rd choice right now just for how bad everyone else is

I don’t know if I can think of five major candidates I like at this point. I’d likely put Prince at #1 if I were a voter.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1087 on: May 28, 2021, 11:11:38 AM »

I don’t know if I can think of five major candidates I like at this point. I’d likely put Prince at #1 if I were a voter.

Given Stringer's allegations/terrible handling of allegations, Morales' implosion and Wiley's general incompetence, this has been a pretty horrible time for the NYC Progressive movement (at least those involved in local politics).

Though I think an underrated reason for this race's weirdness is that since the GOP is pretty much dead in NYC you have a lot of people in the Dem electorate who are more conservative than you'd expect. The Orthodox Jewish community may be influential in this race, even though that's not a Democratic group. 
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1088 on: May 28, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »

Princementum

I wonder if Menchaca were still in how would he be doing
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1089 on: May 28, 2021, 02:36:31 PM »

Despite not living here, I'm leaning towards Eric Adams in this race. The other candidates seem too out of touch or scandal ridden.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #1090 on: May 28, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »

I’m pretty comfortable with the $10 I put on Yang winning the mayor race. Ultimately the man has the name recognition and a strong game for those #2 and #3 spots.

I don’t want it to be so, but Yang is going to win, but barely so.

Eh, I'd consider it a tossup between Yang and Adams with a small chance for Garcia.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1091 on: May 28, 2021, 05:56:43 PM »

As I correctly predicted Georgia flipping blue in the 2020 General and both Senate seats, I've predicted the demise of the Morales campaign.

Anyone want some help with other predictions?

Anyways, progressives following the Joshua Collins blueprint will fail 10/10 times. This should come as no surprise.

The Bernie/DSA universe is entering a new low on their rollercoaster of momentum.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1092 on: May 28, 2021, 09:56:19 PM »

https://nypost.com/2021/05/27/eric-adams-says-he-wants-retirement-home-in-israel/

A Jewish weekly publication, Mishpacha, asked the Brooklyn borough president if he would be an advocate for Israel as have other mayors. [...] Asked what part of Israel he would choose, Adams said with a laugh, “In the Golan Heights.”

[...]

He called Yang a “shiny new toy” while likening himself to a “Microsoft investment.”

“The second you see that the shiny new toy is no longer so shiny, and Eric’s message is getting out, don’t allow someone else to take your investment away. I am your Microsoft,” he said.

Anybody who refers to themself in the 3rd-person can't be allowed to be elected to public office.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1093 on: May 28, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »

Eric Adams is really, really bad
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1094 on: May 28, 2021, 10:50:34 PM »

Ray McGuire gang rise up
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1095 on: May 28, 2021, 10:57:59 PM »

no
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #1096 on: May 28, 2021, 11:11:56 PM »

He’s the best candidate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1097 on: May 28, 2021, 11:27:56 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1098 on: May 28, 2021, 11:52:01 PM »

Anyways, progressives following the Joshua Collins blueprint will fail 10/10 times. This should come as no surprise.

The Bernie/DSA universe is entering a new low on their rollercoaster of momentum.
Not exactly the case — there is a reason DSA & AOC deliberately chose not to endorse Morales (and there's a reason Our Revolution solo endorsed Wiley). There’s obviously some overlap, but the Morales campaign was (the past tense is, I think, appropriate) fundamentally a left-liberal endeavor led by groups like the Working Families Party and various nonprofit orgs and progressive clubs. DSA & co. have been focused on a handful of City Council candidates. The difference reflects different political strategies and different theories of change — and one, I think, has been borne out more than the other.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1099 on: May 28, 2021, 11:57:56 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 12:01:05 AM by MAGugh »

Not exactly the case — there is a reason DSA & AOC deliberately chose not to endorse Morales (and there's a reason Our Revolution solo endorsed Wiley). There’s obviously some overlap, but the Morales campaign was (the past tense is, I think, appropriate) fundamentally a left-liberal endeavor led by groups like the Working Families Party and various nonprofit orgs and progressive clubs. DSA & co. have been focused on a handful of City Council candidates. The difference reflects different political strategies and different theories of change — and one, I think, has been borne out more than the other.

And what chance do those City Council candidates stand? This on top of having no true candidate for Mayor of one of the biggest cities in America, losing almost all recognition by the Biden administration, constant collapses by popular candidates (Collins, Morales, etc) and endless infighting (Green Party civil war, Breadtube's inability to go from debate club to tangible political change, The People's Party vs. Green Party dilemma); the BernieBros aren't really up to much good these days outside of interesting Twitter threads and Youtube videos. A major reason why I've felt myself shifting back to the center as of late.

I'd rather support a Democrat or Republican who still disappoints me than the non-existent DemSoc candidate.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies