NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:32:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127310 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: May 12, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »

Getting tighter...

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #901 on: May 12, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I feel like counting will be an absolute nightmare. New York is already particularly terrible at it, and RCV adds another layer of complication.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #902 on: May 12, 2021, 09:56:09 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2021, 09:59:31 PM by KaiserDave »

Adams is very clearly surging to tie or pass Yang. And finally we have numbers to prove that the Morales campaign is still very weak outside of twitter.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #903 on: May 12, 2021, 10:09:47 PM »

So what are the chances for the candidates?

At this point? Basically 50-50 for Yang and Adams. Morales is the only other candidate trending up at the moment, but she has yet to top 10% in any poll and mostly seems like a pet candidate of the Extremely Online left. She'd have a slim chance in a standard race with seven people if high turnout among that wing happened, but not with ranked-choice.

What about Wiley?

She's been consistently unable to get any real traction. She reminds me a lot of Harris and Warren in the POTUS race, in that she looks great on paper but is consistently not people's first choice. She might climb up in ranked choice voting - she's in a pretty good position to come third - but there's no real way for her to break the top two right now.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #904 on: May 12, 2021, 10:10:37 PM »

Wiley looked at Harris's 2020 campaign and said "let's do that."

As for myself I am probably going to rank some combination of Garcia and Morales, but this race is a lost cause.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #905 on: May 12, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I feel like counting will be an absolute nightmare. New York is already particularly terrible at it, and RCV adds another layer of complication.

Honestly, I'm expecting a complete sh**tshow meltdown where we don't get results until mid-August and no one can explain why.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #906 on: May 12, 2021, 11:05:05 PM »

I guarantee at least one of the questions in the debate will be about his Israel tweets. Wonder how much backlash (if any) he gets from the other candidates.

Crazy how this became a major issue for a mayoral election in an AMERICAN city.

Oh well, imma root for him anyways  Cool
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #907 on: May 12, 2021, 11:18:56 PM »

I guarantee at least one of the questions in the debate will be about his Israel tweets. Wonder how much backlash (if any) he gets from the other candidates.

Morales is likely to be the only one to pick a fight over it. Wiley might disagree with his first tweet, but probably not his second. And Stringer has bigger things to worry about.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #908 on: May 12, 2021, 11:23:29 PM »

Morales is likely to be the only one to pick a fight over it. Wiley might disagree with his first tweet, but probably not his second. And Stringer has bigger things to worry about.

Stringer's participating? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good luck to him, because boy is he gonna need it lol
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #909 on: May 13, 2021, 07:19:25 AM »

Yeah no sh**t.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #910 on: May 13, 2021, 07:37:50 AM »

Given this field, NYC is going to get what it deserves.  

Yang is a meme-candidate who is simply not up to the task of being NYC Mayor and whose support for UBI should really be alarming to progressives given how many corporatists express openness to it as a Trojan horse for eliminating the social safety (the argument being that if you get $1,000 per-month, then Medicaid, food stamps, unemployment payments, minimum wage laws, and really any sort of welfare programs are no longer necessary).  

Eric Adams is a vicious anti-Semite (he once accused a Hispanic politician of being a race-traitor for marrying a Jewish woman and used to be a vocal Farrakhan supporter, among other things) who clearly lacks any deeply-held beliefs given how he flip-flopped from running as a fierce critic of police brutality to trying to market himself as the “law and order” candidate while running for Mayor...at least when he’s speaking to certain audiences Tongue

Stringer is experienced and sounds progressive enough on the issues (at least from what I’ve read), but he’s a sex predator, so he’s obviously unfit for this or any other office to put it mildly.  

Donovan just outed himself as a disqualifyingly out of touch elitist (although I’ve gotten that vibe from him ever since his dust up about campaign contributions/funds about a month ago).  

Morales sounds like a terminally online, fringe leftist type from what (admittedly little I’ve heard about her), although I don’t know too much about her tbf, so maybe she’s fine.  Idk.  

Wiley doesn’t seem awful, but she lacks experience and I don’t love the idea of putting an at least part-time MSNBC talking head in a position of real importance.  She also seems to be in at least something of a Manhattan bubble in terms of her beliefs about what life is like for the average New Yorker which...doesn’t exactly assuage my aforementioned concerns.  

I don’t really know about the others, but they don’t seem like they have any chance of winning or even cracking the top three.  I guess I’d reluctantly vote for Wiley and then not second-preference anyone.  Eric Adams, Andrew Yang, and Scott Stringer would all be terrible choices for different reasons.

Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #911 on: May 13, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »

Stringer is experienced and sounds progressive enough on the issues (at least from what I’ve read), but he’s a sex predator, so he’s obviously unfit for this or any other office to put it mildly.  

Got any credible sources for this claim?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #912 on: May 13, 2021, 08:55:38 AM »

Yang is a meme-candidate who is simply not up to the task of being NYC Mayor and whose support for UBI should really be alarming to progressives given how many corporatists express openness to it as a Trojan horse for eliminating the social safety (the argument being that if you get $1,000 per-month, then Medicaid, food stamps, unemployment payments, minimum wage laws, and really any sort of welfare programs are no longer necessary).  

Eric Adams is a vicious anti-Semite (he once accused a Hispanic politician of being a race-traitor for marrying a Jewish woman and used to be a vocal Farrakhan supporter, among other things) who clearly lacks any deeply-held beliefs given how he flip-flopped from running as a fierce critic of police brutality to trying to market himself as the “law and order” candidate while running for Mayor...at least when he’s speaking to certain audiences Tongue

Donovan just outed himself as a disqualifyingly out of touch elitist (although I’ve gotten that vibe from him ever since his dust up about campaign contributions/funds about a month ago).  

Morales sounds like a terminally online, fringe leftist type from what (admittedly little I’ve heard about her), although I don’t know too much about her tbf, so maybe she’s fine.  Idk.  

Wiley doesn’t seem awful, but she lacks experience and I don’t love the idea of putting an at least part-time MSNBC talking head in a position of real importance.  She also seems to be in at least something of a Manhattan bubble in terms of her beliefs about what life is like for the average New Yorker which...doesn’t exactly assuage my aforementioned concerns.  

I don’t really know about the others, but they don’t seem like they have any chance of winning or even cracking the top three.  I guess I’d reluctantly vote for Wiley and then not second-preference anyone.  Eric Adams, Andrew Yang, and Scott Stringer would all be terrible choices for different reasons.

Why not second preference Garcia, the one candidate you didn't mention?

Also "NYC is getting what it deserves" sounds...harsh?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #913 on: May 13, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/nyregion/scott-stringer-sexual-harassment.html

Why not second preference Garcia, the one candidate you didn't mention?

Also "NYC is getting what it deserves" sounds...harsh?

I don't know enough about Garcia, so maybe.  The "getting what it deserves" part was honestly me venting more than anything else.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #914 on: May 13, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/nyregion/scott-stringer-sexual-harassment.html

So, no. Thanks.

Hopefully more and more people start to treat this allegation with the credulousness it deserves (none.)

Probably too late for his campaign now, though, but I admire him for sticking with it, and for people like Nadler standing with him.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #915 on: May 13, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »

Eric Adams is a vicious anti-Semite (he once accused a Hispanic politician of being a race-traitor for marrying a Jewish woman and used to be a vocal Farrakhan supporter, among other things)

If they somehow decide to attack Adams as well for the pro-Israel stance, maybe one of them can hit him on the head with that.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #916 on: May 13, 2021, 11:03:55 AM »

I’m between the Mr. X and Crane camps here on Stringer. But yeah Scott should safe face and drop out.
SInNYC

« Reply #917 on: May 13, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »

I am back with Stringer (probably behind Morales), unless something more turns up. What we know (according to both parties) is that the two were involved somehow. He was around 40 and she was in her early 30s working on his campaign, both single. Clearly, Stringer felt that they had something while she wasnt into him. There is some question about whether the two were involved before (possibly much before) the campaign when both were in the local D groups, as others have claimed that the two were casually involved. Its possible that she felt they were just flirting in a bar, while he felt that they had potential.

I'm not going to throw out Stringer based on this. Now if there were a good alternative, I would probably vote for that over Stringer just in case there is more evidence that comes out later, whether to make him a predator or even just to detract from his performance as mayor.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #918 on: May 13, 2021, 12:04:58 PM »

I am back with Stringer (probably behind Morales), unless something more turns up. What we know (according to both parties) is that the two were involved somehow. He was around 40 and she was in her early 30s working on his campaign, both single. Clearly, Stringer felt that they had something while she wasnt into him. There is some question about whether the two were involved before (possibly much before) the campaign when both were in the local D groups, as others have claimed that the two were casually involved. Its possible that she felt they were just flirting in a bar, while he felt that they had potential.

I'm not going to throw out Stringer based on this. Now if there were a good alternative, I would probably vote for that over Stringer just in case there is more evidence that comes out later, whether to make him a predator or even just to detract from his performance as mayor.

I mean, she’s accused him of groping her.  The allegation isn’t that he was flirting in a bar, it’s that he committed sexual assault.
SInNYC

« Reply #919 on: May 13, 2021, 12:20:15 PM »

I mean, she’s accused him of groping her.  The allegation isn’t that he was flirting in a bar, it’s that he committed sexual assault.

The flirting sentence was referring to any prior relationship they may or may not have had, not the accusation.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #920 on: May 13, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »

'Anyone But Yang, Adams & Stringer!'?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #921 on: May 13, 2021, 01:05:05 PM »

'Anyone But Yang, Adams & Stringer!'?

That’s basically where I’m at now lol Tongue
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #922 on: May 13, 2021, 01:49:06 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2021, 01:54:42 PM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

It’s Change, but...

支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #923 on: May 13, 2021, 02:00:03 PM »

Interesting how Change's Post-NYT endorsement RCV simulation has Yang and Adams tied for the 7th through 10th rounds. Guess a 50-50 split is better than 53 Adam-47 Yang?

I'm really curious what the crosstabs look like.

Adams Strongest Among African Americans; Yang’s Support Is Broader

While Adams is in the top four among all major racial and ethnic groups, his lead is due primarily to his strength among African American voters: 41% plan to rank him first.

Andrew Yang, meanwhile, is the first choice of 34% of Asian American voters -- higher than his support among any other major demographic group. But he is in first or second place among nearly all gender, age, and racial/ethnic groups, and in all five boroughs.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #924 on: May 13, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »

Interesting how Change's Post-NYT endorsement RCV simulation has Yang and Adams tied for the 7th through 10th rounds. Guess a 50-50 split is better than 53 Adam-47 Yang?

I'm really curious what the crosstabs look like.

Adams Strongest Among African Americans; Yang’s Support Is Broader

While Adams is in the top four among all major racial and ethnic groups, his lead is due primarily to his strength among African American voters: 41% plan to rank him first.

Andrew Yang, meanwhile, is the first choice of 34% of Asian American voters -- higher than his support among any other major demographic group. But he is in first or second place among nearly all gender, age, and racial/ethnic groups, and in all five boroughs.

NYC mayoral elections come down to race and ethnicity. Adams, Wiley and McGuire will do well with Black voters. Yang will do well with Asian voters. Black and Asians don't get along in NYC, Yang will HAVE to address that
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies