NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:06:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127670 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: April 27, 2021, 08:54:28 PM »

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #726 on: April 27, 2021, 09:04:30 PM »

Oof.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #727 on: April 27, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »

Stringer will have to fight this......or else Adams and Wiley takes his chunk of upper middle class Jewish voters.......
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #728 on: April 27, 2021, 09:13:45 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2021, 09:21:16 PM by KaiserDave »

Oh dear.

I am in wait and see mode. I really do like Scott but these allegations are obviously disqualifying.

I will not do any more volunteer work until I see more. Depending on what happens next I will stick with him or cease my support.

If I do cease my support I'll go 1. Morales 2. Donovan 3. Garcia 4. Write In and then go home and be sad.
Babeuf

« Reply #729 on: April 27, 2021, 09:23:01 PM »

Damn this sucks. Was settling on Scott as my #2 choice before this (and the first ranked choice with a chance to win). Going to wait and see how this plays out...
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #730 on: April 27, 2021, 09:25:52 PM »

Color me skeptical for now.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #731 on: April 27, 2021, 09:29:32 PM »

Damn this sucks. Was settling on Scott as my #2 choice before this (and the first ranked choice with a chance to win). Going to wait and see how this plays out...
In the same boat but had Scott as #1
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #732 on: April 27, 2021, 09:36:16 PM »

Maya Wiley is gonna rise now
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #733 on: April 27, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »

If this blows up and isn't discredited, it makes Mayor Yang or Adams all but inevitable. But we'll see.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #734 on: April 27, 2021, 10:00:31 PM »

Scott is unequivocally denying the accusations but waiting for the person to speak to speak further
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #735 on: April 27, 2021, 11:30:39 PM »

This feels like a hit at first instinct, but god someone ought to bring up dirt on Adams while they’re at it. He’s just trash.

Looking like my Maya for Mayor pins got a little more relevant.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #736 on: April 28, 2021, 08:05:43 AM »

If this blows up and isn't discredited, it makes Mayor Yang or Adams all but inevitable. But we'll see.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #737 on: April 28, 2021, 08:11:19 AM »

I'm surprised Maya Wiley isn't connecting more. Why is that?
Pink Panther

« Reply #738 on: April 28, 2021, 08:22:54 AM »

Can this solidify Daddy Yang?(I'm going to get a lot of hate, am I?)
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #739 on: April 28, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »

Can this solidify Daddy Yang?(I'm going to get a lot of hate, am I?)

Sadly yes.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #740 on: April 28, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »

I think she'd be a really strong candidate if the race was happening in 2019 or in 2022. Her campaign would really thrive at a time when you could do a lot of grassroots outreach among young people and progressives in all 5 boroughs and get a lot of media attention out of it.

But sadly the ground game is kneecapped because of COVID, and Yang is taking up what little media oxygen there is for the race.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #741 on: April 28, 2021, 09:16:41 AM »

I think she'd be a really strong candidate if the race was happening in 2019 or in 2022. Her campaign would really thrive at a time when you could do a lot of grassroots outreach among young people and progressives in all 5 boroughs and get a lot of media attention out of it.

But sadly the ground game is kneecapped because of COVID, and Yang is taking up what little media oxygen there is for the race.

Ehhhh, between Warren 2020 and Cruz 2016 in primaries, and Clinton 2016 vs. Biden 2020 in the GE, I think it's time to accept that ground game is vastly overrated.  A likely Yang win in NYC would just solidify that.  A low turnout primary in the densest city in the country is where you could make the strongest argument that ground game should be decisive.  If it isn't, it's time to accept that "ground game" is mostly a permanent employment program for consultants and activists.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #742 on: April 28, 2021, 09:32:04 AM »

RIP Stringer.

I'd be surprised if Yang doesn't win, tbh.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #743 on: April 28, 2021, 09:52:51 AM »

Ehhhh, between Warren 2020 and Cruz 2016 in primaries, and Clinton 2016 vs. Biden 2020 in the GE, I think it's time to accept that ground game is vastly overrated.  A likely Yang win in NYC would just solidify that.  A low turnout primary in the densest city in the country is where you could make the strongest argument that ground game should be decisive.  If it isn't, it's time to accept that "ground game" is mostly a permanent employment program for consultants and activists.

I'd agree that ground game has diminished as an advantage in social media times, but that's not what I meant there.

Don't you think that if COVID wasn't happening, this race would be very different?

Yang's biggest advantage is name recognition. That's accentuated when most people are at home and don't want to go out and knock on doors for candidates.

I'd wager that the election would be a lot more competitive if things were normal. Especially because of RCV, which I think promotes voter outreach a lot more than FPTP since a pleasant interaction means a voter may change their 2nd or 3rd choice and that would actually matter.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #744 on: April 28, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »

I'd agree that ground game has diminished as an advantage in social media times, but that's not what I meant there.

Don't you think that if COVID wasn't happening, this race would be very different?

Yang's biggest advantage is name recognition. That's accentuated when most people are at home and don't want to go out and knock on doors for candidates.

I'd wager that the election would be a lot more competitive if things were normal. Especially because of RCV, which I think promotes voter outreach a lot more than FPTP since a pleasant interaction means a voter may change their 2nd or 3rd choice and that would actually matter.

Not really.

If anything, RCV makes voter outreach/turnout operations less effective.  It effectively over-represents high info voters and the very politically engaged, because low info and infrequent voters are much more likely to just check their top choice and walk out.  It's the main reason I prefer separate runoff elections over RCV.  Making voting more complicated is generally bad.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #745 on: April 28, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »

Not really.

If anything, RCV makes voter outreach/turnout operations less effective.  It effectively over-represents high info voters and the very politically engaged, because low info and infrequent voters are much more likely to just check their top choice and walk out.  It's the main reason I prefer separate runoff elections over RCV.  Making voting more complicated is generally bad.

I see people always say RCV is "more complicated" and I genuinely don't get that, particularly in primaries.

Most primary voters see a field as big as the NYC mayoral field and probably like multiple candidates, and like some more than others. For primary voters I don't see what would they find complicated. Maybe they might find picking the 3rd vs. 4th choices but they will still pick them.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #746 on: April 28, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »

Scott's campaign is now saying they had a brief consensual relationship.

So, yeah I'm done. This no longer constitutes a denial and is thus unacceptable, and I'm not gonna be the volunteer on the street explaining this to voters, many of whom are women and may be survivors.

So, yeah, I'll either by helping Lander or returning to the sidelines.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #747 on: April 28, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »

https://forward.com/fast-forward/468553/united-orthodox-voting-bloc-in-borough-park-endorses-andrew-yang-for-mayor/
Yang grabs a big endorsement I'm confident its gonna come down to Yang vs Adams now and Yang should be heavily favored
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #748 on: April 28, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »

Yeah Yang is going to win, Scott was the only guy with the coalition to beat him, and now that coalition is irreparably damaged
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #749 on: April 28, 2021, 11:40:38 AM »

Wiley Gang now I guess
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to: