NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:37:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127252 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: April 23, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »

Yang is considering making Val Demings (?) police commissioner.

Yang really is the democratic Trump, I’m sure his thought process was “black woman police officer? Demmings!”

Granted it’s not unheard of for bureaucrats to move from one city to another, but it’s not like NYC is short on talent
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #701 on: April 23, 2021, 02:10:31 PM »

The more I see of Yang the more I get the feeling that he’s fundamentally not taking this seriously. I don’t think he’s an unserious person, but I’ve seen no evidence that he’ll be a serious mayor.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #702 on: April 23, 2021, 02:25:19 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2021, 02:34:26 PM by KaiserDave »

Frontrunner
Andrew Yang
Competitors
Eric Adams, Scott Stringer
Periphery of Competition
Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire
Field
Shaun Donovan, Diane Morales, Kathryn Garcia

Here is my current breakdown, I've adjusted it to better reflect the state of the race. There's three people with a chance, two people who might break into the top tier, a field of people vying to get into competition, and one guy who just stays in the lead.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #703 on: April 23, 2021, 02:57:55 PM »

Frontrunner
Andrew Yang
Competitors
Periphery of Competition
Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire
Field

Here is my current breakdown, I've adjusted it to better reflect the state of the race. There's three people with a chance, two people who might break into the top tier, a field of people vying to get into competition, and one guy who just stays in the lead.

How set is the field?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #704 on: April 23, 2021, 03:11:01 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2021, 03:26:30 PM by KaiserDave »

Frontrunner
Andrew Yang
Competitors
Periphery of Competition
Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire
Field

How set is the field?

Well, I'm pretty sure that nobody other than Yang, Stringer, and Adams actually has a chance. Wiley could get in, but not getting the UFT endorsement was a big blow for her. As for the rest, it's hard to predict how they will sort out. McGuire looks like he has some momentum, Morales might, it's hard to tell. But none of them will win.

Oh, and here is a congressional endorsements map. Stringer has 3 (Bowman, Nadler, Espaillat), Wiley has 2 (Clarke, Velazquez), McGuire has 1 (Meeks), Yang has 1 (Torres), and Adams has 1 (Suozzi).
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #705 on: April 23, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »

Fixed
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #706 on: April 23, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »

Frontrunner
Andrew Yang
Competitors
Periphery of Competition
Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire
Field

How set is the field?

Well, I'm pretty sure that nobody other than Yang, Stringer, and Adams actually has a chance. Wiley could get in, but not getting the UFT endorsement was a big blow for her. As for the rest, it's hard to predict how they will sort out. McGuire looks like he has some momentum, Morales might, it's hard to tell. But none of them will win.

Oh, and here is a congressional endorsements map. Stringer has 3 (Bowman, Nadler, Espaillat), Wiley has 2 (Clarke, Velazquez), McGuire has 1 (Meeks), Yang has 1 (Torres), and Adams has 1 (Suozzi).

Didn't know that Meeks endorsed McGuire! I knew Meeks wouldn't endorse Adams given the two have a little history of mutual dislike, but I'm surprised he went with a candidate that doesn't look all that viable.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #707 on: April 23, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »

Me: Andrew Yang is not terrible

Everyone Else on this forum: So you have chosen death

This feels a lot like the 2020 primaries in how vocally anti-Biden the “progressive establishment” Atlas hivemind was. As with last year, I’m *supporting* a candidate even though I broadly agree with the criticisms of them because I don’t see how the alternatives are better.

Yang supporters: this is worth a read. He’s a mayoral candidate, not your based God-Emperor.
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #708 on: April 23, 2021, 04:09:49 PM »

^ Neither of you live in NYC. I actually have to work for the city that Yang would govern and I'm not looking forward to it!

Anyways...it seems Stringer has decided that since he cannot come up with a reason for people to vote *for* him, he is hoping that Dianne Morales comes up with one.

1. Per your avatar, you're in Nunvaut, so you're misrepresenting yourself on this forum.
2. Well, you worked in a city governed by De Blasio for 8 years, how did that go?
1. I live in the Nunavaut section of Brooklyn.
2. Not terrible until he shafted everyone in favor of the cops. No reason to doubt that Yang would do the same

Not that I'm doubting you but where in BK is the Nunavaut section? Legitimately curious as I live in Brooklyn and have never heard of it.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #709 on: April 23, 2021, 04:14:07 PM »

Honestly the biggest surprise/only disappointment for me so far is Torres’s endorsement of Yang. Also interesting that a lot of them haven’t endorsed yet
warandwar
United States

« Reply #710 on: April 23, 2021, 05:15:09 PM »

^ Neither of you live in NYC. I actually have to work for the city that Yang would govern and I'm not looking forward to it!

Anyways...it seems Stringer has decided that since he cannot come up with a reason for people to vote *for* him, he is hoping that Dianne Morales comes up with one.

1. Per your avatar, you're in Nunvaut, so you're misrepresenting yourself on this forum.
2. Well, you worked in a city governed by De Blasio for 8 years, how did that go?
1. I live in the Nunavaut section of Brooklyn.
2. Not terrible until he shafted everyone in favor of the cops. No reason to doubt that Yang would do the same

Not that I'm doubting you but where in BK is the Nunavaut section? Legitimately curious as I live in Brooklyn and have never heard of it.
More of a state of mind.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #711 on: April 23, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »

With all of the success Yang has had in this race, I'm surprised that eric82oslo, his no.1 fan hasn't jumped back onto the forum.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #712 on: April 23, 2021, 06:52:38 PM »

With all of the success Yang has had in this race, I'm surprised that eric82oslo, his no.1 fan hasn't jumped back onto the forum.
Yang must have pulled the plug on most of the niche forum and imageboard AstroTurf.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #713 on: April 23, 2021, 10:12:48 PM »

The more I see of Yang the more I get the feeling that he’s fundamentally not taking this seriously. I don’t think he’s an unserious person, but I’ve seen no evidence that he’ll be a serious mayor.

Honestly, i agree with you. If i still lived in NYC, I'd prob vote for Stringer as Yang is turning into a clown tier candidate
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #714 on: April 24, 2021, 01:47:08 AM »

Honestly, i agree with you. If i still lived in NYC, I'd prob vote for Stringer as Yang is turning into a clown tier candidate

The only one who I think is actually worse than Yang is Adams, but it doesn’t really seem like he’s expanding his base and forging alliances like Yang or the more progressive candidates are.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #715 on: April 24, 2021, 03:12:33 PM »

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/nyc-elections-2021/ny-nyc-mayoral-race-broadway-shows-20210424-k76ux37gyrazbd5r656v5lw6wm-story.html

Anyone who said Hamilton is henceforth disqualified.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #716 on: April 25, 2021, 08:34:45 AM »

Once the candidates managed to get past Hamilton they had some solid answers.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #717 on: April 25, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »

Frontrunner
Andrew Yang
Competitors
Periphery of Competition
Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire
Field

How set is the field?

Didn't know that Meeks endorsed McGuire! I knew Meeks wouldn't endorse Adams given the two have a little history of mutual dislike, but I'm surprised he went with a candidate that doesn't look all that viable.

McGuire has been surging recently. It's under the radar because his main gains are with black voters, who are chronically ignored and misunderstood by the local media, who are mostly white liberals, but he's definitely got momentum currently. Mainly because he's a black candidate who is relatively moderate (Wiley has problems both with her connections to the unpopular de Blasio and also being perceived by many in the black community as too radical and too looped in to the AOC/DSA universe, which has little support among black voters in NYC) and yet not a police cheerleader (unlike Eric Adams, who seems determined to be the worst candidate in literally every way possible). And he does have the financial resources to get the message out while being smart about targeting the right areas to make an under-the-radar surge.

And black voters tend to make up their minds relatively late, compared to white liberal voters, so there were (and remain) a lot of undecided black voters to for him to mop up
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #718 on: April 25, 2021, 12:51:50 PM »

I find Phantom & Les Mis more of a disqualifier
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #719 on: April 27, 2021, 11:14:11 AM »

Scott has gone on TV!

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #720 on: April 27, 2021, 11:33:00 AM »

This is a great ad. It's tongue-in-cheek, but not obnoxious, and emphasizes why Stringer is the most qualified candidate. It also shows that he's taking the race seriously, which Yang seems pretty averse to. I also like that the ad doesn't call out Yang directly, but anyone tuned into the race can clearly see it's in response to him.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #721 on: April 27, 2021, 11:37:05 AM »

This is a great ad. It's tongue-in-cheek, but not obnoxious, and emphasizes why Stringer is the most qualified candidate. It also shows that he's taking the race seriously, which Yang seems pretty averse to. I also like that the ad doesn't call out Yang directly, but anyone tuned into the race can clearly see it's in response to him.

I love it too! And the smile at the end is adorable.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #722 on: April 27, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »

I don't think Yang will do well with Black voters in NYC....they will most likely go to Adams, McGuire or Wiley, or Stringer

Eric Adams, Bkyn Borough President and former NYPD officer carries a gun with him and some liberals in NYC are worried.......

He also says that "young white people support the Defund the Police movement"

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/23/eric-adams-anti-crime-campaign-484380

NEW YORK — After 11 people were fatally shot inside a Pittsburgh synagogue three years ago, a politician nearly 400 miles away demanded an immediate shift in protocol.

“From now on, I will bring my handgun every time I enter a church or synagogue,” Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, a retired police captain who is now a leading candidate for New York City mayor, said the following day, encouraging trained cops to do the same.

Now Adams is among the top-tier Democratic candidates running to be the next mayor of New York, ranking second in most public polls and sitting on a $7.8 million war chest. As he competes in an eight-person field, he is carving a path formed by his biography: A Black man who openly discusses being a teenager assaulted by police officers, only to become one himself at a time when the city was mired in crime. He quickly challenged orthodoxies within the NYPD, protesting the cop shooting of a mentally-ill Black woman when he was in the Police Academy.

Despite four years as a registered Republican, he considers himself a progressive before it became popular.

But as a proud former police officer running for mayor with crime on the rise, Adams is often castigated for being out of step with the activist wing of a party whose vote he is seeking on June 22.

He wants to reinstate a plainclothes unit disbanded by the NYPD last year to focus on gun safety. He readily denounces the “defund NYPD” slogan that surged after the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis last year. He has defended the controversial practice of stop-and-frisk if used correctly. He wants spot checks for guns entering the city at Port Authority bus terminals.[/b]

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/23/eric-adams-anti-crime-campaign-484380

With the complete collapse of the NYCGOP, Sliwa and the others are a joke, Adams could be a contender....it's late April....anything can happen between now and June....plus the Al Sharpton endorsement is crucial in Democratic politics.....

It's really young white liberals that talk to Ari Horowitz, Black MSNBC leftists like Jason Johnson, and Elie Mystal and others that are pushing this Abolish/Defund stuff.....

Adams represents a working class central Brooklyn area that has a lot of crime, do you really think Black New Yorkers want to defund police?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #723 on: April 27, 2021, 02:42:21 PM »

Frontrunner
Andrew Yang
Competitors
Periphery of Competition
Maya Wiley, Ray McGuire
Field

How set is the field?

Meeks represents southeast Queens, a crucial Black middle class bloc where Bill de Blasio did well against Bill Thompson, a Black man in 2013. Middle class Black professionals in Queens who made more money than whites in NYC in the mid-2000s before the economic recession......Adams and McGuire will cancel each other out for the Black middle class vote in NYC.....Tom Suozzi endorsed Adams because he thinks Adams could be a bridge to the white NYPD officers that live on Long Island, but work and patrol in Brooklyn and Queens......

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #724 on: April 27, 2021, 08:29:46 PM »

Is this airing on TV? For weeks I've only seen ads for Donovan and McGuire.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies