NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:08:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127545 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2021, 11:58:51 PM »

Why do so many people have Shaun Donovan in their top five? Other than when he didn't know how much a house costs, I haven't heard a single thing about him.

Donovan is actually decent, he's very smart and I accept that his housing answer was a brainfart, but he's terrible at campaigning and his debate performance was derided. That's why he hasn't gotten much traction.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »

Why do so many people have Shaun Donovan in their top five? Other than when he didn't know how much a house costs, I haven't heard a single thing about him.

Donovan is actually decent, he's very smart and I accept that his housing answer was a brainfart, but he's terrible at campaigning and his debate performance was derided. That's why he hasn't gotten much traction.

I’m surprised Crane of all people is defending a Bloomberg/Obama appointee

Bloomberg had problems as mayor but is greatly preferable to someone like Giuliani.

The department under Donovan's purview can be considered actually wildly successful. Bloomberg was responsible for more affordable housing being built than any other mayor in NYC history. Was it enough? Absolutely not. Did the administration fail to rein in predatory developers like Steven Ross and his Hudson Yards abortion? Yes. But Donovan achieved many of the goals he had been tasked with, so I give him credit for that. He has the managerial experience and executive chops to do well at the job.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2021, 11:26:16 PM »

Christ… every time one of these people open their mouths I think I shouldn’t even bother ranking them.

I hope the silent majority in NYC shows up to vote in this primary and rejects this kind of thinking. The renaissance in NYC of the last decade, with capital, wealth, and new residents flowing into the area, happened as a direct result of lowering crime and pro-development policies, and people like Wiley just want to throw all that away in the name of wokeness. It cannot possibly be true that New Yorkers actually want their city to go back to the way it was in the 1970's and 1980's. It should help that moderates who would have registered as Republicans in the past are probably registered as Democrats now.

I never took you for a anti-poor type guy.

No, NYC is not in a Renaissance right now. New York is an unlivable mess due to the housing crisis. And it's mostly thanks to people like Stephen Ross, responsible for the Hudson Yards abortion, building luxury housing and condos everywhere to make maximum profit instead of badly needed high density housing that would actually keep up with the demand. It's happening to some extent in every city, but New York needs to be different to adapt and continue being a mecca for everyone who wants to come. And not just spoiled brats with daddy's credit card, Chinese tourists, and Google employees.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »

Wiley would be the favorite if Stringer had dropped out...just sayin'.

So, what's Yang going to do after he (very likely) loses?

Primary Cuomo probably.

Cuomo vs. de Blasio vs. Yang

The primary we deserve.

If that happens, New York is truly doomed.

De Blasio as governor would be great for NY. Yang, not so much, and Cuomo needs to go.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2021, 12:00:52 AM »

Yang supporters, what is you doing?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2021, 09:40:46 AM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

My guess is a lot of late deciders will feel the same way.  Garcia has her own strengths but also makes for a reasonable "none of the above" choice.  Most importantly, it seems like there's nothing actively repulsive about her, like there is with Yang or this clown Adams.

Ironically, Wiley would probably have a better chance if she wasn't endorsed by AOC.  I'd never heard of her but I would never vote for AOC's candidate if I lived in NYC.

LOL, I would expect nothing less from the resident Republican hack. Never change, gmac!
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2021, 10:54:55 PM »

My final ballot:

1) Prince
2) Chang
3) Garcia
4) Yang
5) Wiley

Unfortunately, it looks like the corrupt racist lunatic will win here. RIP New York City — and with it, likely, the United States.

Luckily NYC isn’t that important.

It is important, but the mayor doesn't have the power the media portrays. The 2022 Gubernatorial election will be much more important.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2021, 09:34:13 PM »

Regretting giving Garcia any pref now, Adams is obviously better based on the demographics of their supporters.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2021, 03:34:55 PM »

Hoping Adams pulls it out over Garcia.

Ideally, Wiley, but fewer Garcia fans ranked her than the inverse. Stay classy, Garcia fans.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »

Ideally, Wiley, but fewer Garcia fans ranked her than the inverse. Stay classy, Garcia fans.
Regretting your support for a candidate because of what demographics supported them and how preferences flow is pretty absurd, especially when you consider who the opposition is.

I will still support whoever is the nominee, but I despise the gentrification of Manhattan and those downtown areas of Brooklyn. It's clear to me that Adams followed by Wiley was most popular in the real New York. If all the gentrifiers supported Garcia, there must be a reason for that, she must not be interested in fixing the housing crisis.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »

Regretting your support for a candidate because of what demographics supported them and how preferences flow is pretty absurd, especially when you consider who the opposition is.

I will still support whoever is the nominee, but I despise the gentrification of Manhattan and those downtown areas of Brooklyn. It's clear to me that Adams followed by Wiley was most popular in the real New York. If all the gentrifiers supported Garcia, there must be a reason for that, she must not be interested in fixing the housing crisis.

I'm sorry, you don't get to decide who the "real" New Yorkers are. That's completely ridiculous

I can say what I want, and I'm going to call the gentrification that has destroyed Manhattan what it is. Garcia is their candidate.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »

I'm sorry, you don't get to decide who the "real" New Yorkers are. That's completely ridiculous

I can say what I want, and I'm going to call the gentrification that has destroyed Manhattan what it is. Garcia is their candidate.

I hate to tell you, but you’re a gentrifier, and Wiley was the gentrifiers’ candidate. Garcia was the candidate of the rich people who have been in NYC all along; it’s not like Wall Street or Midtown or the Upper East Side were invented in the 1980s.

You mean the developers and their children? That doesn't make a great case for her.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »

You get that--for better or worse--nobody has a bigger vested interest in making New York more affordable than Manhattan renters, right? The opposite applies to outer borough homeowners regardless of class.

Although if you really wish you based your vote on whoever got the fewest first prefs in Chelsea, Yang was your guy.

Nah, when you have a trust fund you don't care. These people were more upset about temporary COVID housing for homeless people being near their UWS walkup than about the average rent.

Yang is just Garcia's sidekick.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2021, 11:53:20 PM »

Voting on xenophobia and attacking outsiders, but woke!

NYC is a city that is and always has been for immigrants. That shouldn't change. But it's a unique situation that's developed and accelerated in the past 15 years that the people who make the city run have been pushed farther and farther away from where they grew up, many can't even afford to live in the same borough they work (often in essential positions.) That's a problem. There needs to be a massive increase in affordable housing construction, and it needs to be high-density. Garcia is not the candidate who will do it, she is the candidate of the luxury apartment and condo developers that have destroyed whole neighborhoods that once gave NYC its legendary character.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2021, 07:24:48 PM »

Bragg winning is amazing. Just amazing.

The Hillary Clinton golden touch at evidence once again.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »

Voting on xenophobia and attacking outsiders, but woke!

NYC is a city that is and always has been for immigrants. That shouldn't change. But it's a unique situation that's developed and accelerated in the past 15 years that the people who make the city run have been pushed farther and farther away from where they grew up, many can't even afford to live in the same borough they work (often in essential positions.) That's a problem. There needs to be a massive increase in affordable housing construction, and it needs to be high-density. Garcia is not the candidate who will do it, she is the candidate of the luxury apartment and condo developers that have destroyed whole neighborhoods that once gave NYC its legendary character.

You haven't bothered to read into the platforms of any of the candidates, huh?

As I said in my comment that was infracted for possibly valid reasons last night, I obviously have as anyone who voted should have. I just question whether Garcia will prioritize that. Almost every candidate, more or less, had a similar housing policy.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »

So, already a ~6.4% shift & that's before even factoring in 2nd+ choices (i.e., where Garcia has already shown that she gains a ton of ground in)? Put a fork in Adams. All hail & bow down before Kathryn Garcia, the 110th Mayor of New York!

Bloomberg 2.0, the candidate of the "Upper West Siders for Safer Streets" crowd.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »

So, already a ~6.4% shift & that's before even factoring in 2nd+ choices (i.e., where Garcia has already shown that she gains a ton of ground in)? Put a fork in Adams. All hail & bow down before Kathryn Garcia, the 110th Mayor of New York!

Bloomberg 2.0, the candidate of the "Upper West Siders for Safer Streets" crowd.

A lot of posters have already spoken at length as to how your characterization of her is a misguided one, so I'm not gonna pile on except to say that she's better than Adams' apparent desire to bring Rudy's overly aggressive style of policing back.

I don't buy it yet. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I am very convinced at this point that her administration will resemble Bloomberg's in practice (which to be fair wasn't irredeemable like his predecessor.) But as far as things like the Hudson Yards development go, that was disastrous for the city.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2021, 02:10:50 PM »

Betting markets have Adams leading again which seems.... very off

Betting markets aren't the end-all be-all

Exactly. If you want proof, just ask President Michelle Obama (2016-20), and the other candidates who climb the rankings every four years, despite never even declaring a run.

She wasn't leading after the elections for those respective years, though.

Still a tossup, it's a mistake to rule Adams out.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2021, 06:54:30 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2021, 07:38:35 PM by 🪶 »

Noooooo please don’t stay gone for good!!! What will NYC ever do without you???

LOL, if we’re lucky Adams will trigger a mass exodus of the most insufferable New York hipsters and then the city will actually become cool and livable again.

Heartbreaking, the worst person I know just made a great point.

Edit: which is ironic because he spazzed out a few days ago when I said something similar.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2021, 06:56:23 PM »

L.O.L.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2021, 08:24:48 PM »

I warmed up to Adams. He is a chad. He's said some weird/offensive stuff in the past but I don't think it will affect his governance as much as some here think. Also, It's pretty cool that after 125 years a borough president from the best borough has been elected mayor for the first time.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2021, 09:20:29 PM »

I warmed up to Adams. He is a chad. He's said some weird/offensive stuff in the past but I don't think it will affect his governance as much as some here think. Also, It's pretty cool that after 125 years a borough president from the best borough has been elected mayor for the first time.
De Blasio is from Brooklyn as well (Park Slope).

Also the Donovan Richards tweets about Liz Crowley are quite something if she really said that (I wouldn’t be shocked).

Yeah but Blaz wasn't borough president.

Uhh, I mean it is the Crowley family so, but I'd still like some clarification from all involved.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2021, 09:24:35 PM »

De Blasio is from Brooklyn as well (Park Slope).

Also the Donovan Richards tweets about Liz Crowley are quite something if she really said that (I wouldn’t be shocked).

Yeah but Blaz wasn't borough president.

Uhh, I mean it is the Crowley family so, but I'd still like some clarification from all involved.
Ah sorry, somehow missed the borough president part, you're right!

No worries. As for Donovan Richards, I think he may have celebrated tonight with a Colt .45 and two Zig Zags. His twitter feed right now is something else!
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »

Happy the candidates that Hillary Clinton and the NYT endorsed lost.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies