NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 126715 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2050 on: July 01, 2021, 08:45:16 AM »

With her in charge, maybe NYC will finally get the rat genocide it deserves. One can hope!

Oh God, please.  The day they finally get rid of the rats will be the day New Yorkers sit back and wonder how they lived with the rats for so long.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2051 on: July 01, 2021, 08:58:13 AM »

With her in charge, maybe NYC will finally get the rat genocide it deserves. One can hope!

Oh God, please.  The day they finally get rid of the rats will be the day New Yorkers sit back and wonder how they lived with the rats for so long.
New Yorkers have a higher chance of biting each other than the rats to New Yorkers, they’re aggressive over there like that
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2052 on: July 01, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »

If Adams loses the primary, does he wage a write in campaign?

I doubt it.  He wouldn’t want to risk electing Silwa

Even if Adams runs a write-in campaign, there's no way Silwa is elected. Silwa isn't a moderate like Giuliani was (at the time) or Bloomberg. He's a hard-right conservative that wouldn't win more than maybe Staten Island, even in a three-way race.

NYC has also changed a lot in the interim. I don't think Bloomberg could win today as a Republican, and Giuliani certainly couldn't (not modern Giuliani of course, but also not 1993 Giuliani).

Anyway, I personally doubt Adams would launch a write-in campaign - as I pointed out earlier, he's not really that popular or loved, even though he's put in the work to be the boss of a significant political machine in the city. Nor is Garcia disliked enough among the right groups for it to be viable; the story would be different if the Democratic nominee were someone like Tiffany Caban.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2053 on: July 01, 2021, 01:02:47 PM »

de Blasio did well in 2013 on Staten Island for a progressive Democrat, because Joe Lhota, who was a technocratic Giuliani Republican who was pro-business, was the MTA chair.

SI has transportation problems, and Lhota was an underwhelming candidate.

In 2017, Malliotakis won SI because she was a hometown favorite.

Adams centered his campaign around crime, being a consensus builder with the police-community relations.....

Adams would win SI over Sliwa by 2-3 points.....
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2054 on: July 01, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »

Dave is finally addressing his copium

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2055 on: July 01, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »

MSNBC today reported on Monring Joe that the software company that invented the software for the counting multiple times offered assistance to the Board of Elections before the ballots were counted and they were repeatedly rejected. This board is a joke.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2056 on: July 01, 2021, 03:34:55 PM »

Hoping Adams pulls it out over Garcia.

Ideally, Wiley, but fewer Garcia fans ranked her than the inverse. Stay classy, Garcia fans.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #2057 on: July 01, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »

Ideally, Wiley, but fewer Garcia fans ranked her than the inverse. Stay classy, Garcia fans.
Regretting your support for a candidate because of what demographics supported them and how preferences flow is pretty absurd, especially when you consider who the opposition is.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2058 on: July 01, 2021, 03:54:29 PM »

There is now a tentative plan to release them tomorrow, but no absolute guarantee. If it means they don't screw up again then we should be happy to wait.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2059 on: July 01, 2021, 05:42:05 PM »

Bad news for Adams, and Wasserman's theory if he was still committed to it in any capacity.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2060 on: July 01, 2021, 06:09:59 PM »

MSNBC today reported on Monring Joe that the software company that invented the software for the counting multiple times offered assistance to the Board of Elections before the ballots were counted and they were repeatedly rejected. This board is a joke.

NYTimes had an editorial yesterday calling for the BOE to be abolished and replaced. Unfortunately, it requires an amendment to the state constitution to do so, and I'm sure Cuomo would refuse because he is trash.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2061 on: July 01, 2021, 06:17:28 PM »

NYTimes had an editorial yesterday calling for the BOE to be abolished and replaced. Unfortunately, it requires an amendment to the state constitution to do so, and I'm sure Cuomo would refuse because he is trash.

AFAIK, Cuomo has no say on NY Constitutional Amendments. They just need to be passed by 2 successive sessions of the legislature and then voted on by the people.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2062 on: July 01, 2021, 06:19:35 PM »

AFAIK, Cuomo has no say on NY Constitutional Amendments. They just need to be passed by 2 successive sessions of the legislature and then voted on by the people.

Ah, didn't know that. Maybe it will happen then, but it will take a while.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2063 on: July 01, 2021, 06:20:10 PM »

3D Map of the NYC Mayor (D) winner by AD, where height = number of absentees received as of yesterday.

https://cinycmaps.com/index.php/2-uncategorized/93-nyc-absentees-received-by-ad-map

Note that not all these absentees will be accepted. NYC has a fairly high rejection rate.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2064 on: July 01, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »

Regretting your support for a candidate because of what demographics supported them and how preferences flow is pretty absurd, especially when you consider who the opposition is.

I will still support whoever is the nominee, but I despise the gentrification of Manhattan and those downtown areas of Brooklyn. It's clear to me that Adams followed by Wiley was most popular in the real New York. If all the gentrifiers supported Garcia, there must be a reason for that, she must not be interested in fixing the housing crisis.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2065 on: July 01, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »

I will still support whoever is the nominee, but I despise the gentrification of Manhattan and those downtown areas of Brooklyn. It's clear to me that Adams followed by Wiley was most popular in the real New York. If all the gentrifiers supported Garcia, there must be a reason for that, she must not be interested in fixing the housing crisis.

Pretty superficial analysis. First, gentrified areas are still "real", whether you like them or not or support certain patterns of development.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2066 on: July 01, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »

I'm sorry, you don't get to decide who the "real" New Yorkers are. That's completely ridiculous
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2067 on: July 01, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »

I'm sorry, you don't get to decide who the "real" New Yorkers are. That's completely ridiculous

I can say what I want, and I'm going to call the gentrification that has destroyed Manhattan what it is. Garcia is their candidate.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2068 on: July 01, 2021, 07:43:30 PM »

Ah, didn't know that. Maybe it will happen then, but it will take a while.

New York just needs a complete overhaul, the politicians, and their bureaucracy, are all like one fire
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2069 on: July 01, 2021, 07:43:42 PM »

I can say what I want, and I'm going to call the gentrification that has destroyed Manhattan what it is. Garcia is their candidate.

I hate to tell you, but you’re a gentrifier, and Wiley was the gentrifiers’ candidate. Garcia was the candidate of the rich people who have been in NYC all along; it’s not like Wall Street or Midtown or the Upper East Side were invented in the 1980s.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2070 on: July 01, 2021, 07:57:46 PM »

I hate to tell you, but you’re a gentrifier, and Wiley was the gentrifiers’ candidate. Garcia was the candidate of the rich people who have been in NYC all along; it’s not like Wall Street or Midtown or the Upper East Side were invented in the 1980s.

Wiley definitely struck me as the candidate of NIMBY-ish lefties who claim they wanna fight gentrification and displacement but won't actually do anything other than retweet things.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2071 on: July 01, 2021, 07:59:53 PM »

You get that--for better or worse--nobody has a bigger vested interest in making New York more affordable than Manhattan renters, right? The opposite applies to outer borough homeowners regardless of class.

Although if you really wish you based your vote on whoever got the fewest first prefs in Chelsea, Yang was your guy.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2072 on: July 01, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »

You mean the developers and their children? That doesn't make a great case for her.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2073 on: July 01, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »

You get that--for better or worse--nobody has a bigger vested interest in making New York more affordable than Manhattan renters, right? The opposite applies to outer borough homeowners regardless of class.

Although if you really wish you based your vote on whoever got the fewest first prefs in Chelsea, Yang was your guy.

Nah, when you have a trust fund you don't care. These people were more upset about temporary COVID housing for homeless people being near their UWS walkup than about the average rent.

Yang is just Garcia's sidekick.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2074 on: July 01, 2021, 11:38:49 PM »

Voting on xenophobia and attacking outsiders, but woke!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies