How many of you have decided to vote in person instead of by mail?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 09:05:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How many of you have decided to vote in person instead of by mail?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Have you changed your mind on how you are going to vote?
Yes, I changed my mind and intend to vote in person.

No, I still intend to vote by mail.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: How many of you have decided to vote in person instead of by mail?  (Read 1104 times)
woodley park

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2020, 06:59:19 AM »

If we all agree that our nation can't survive another Trump term, then we need to do all we can to ensure he gets voted out. That means voting in person if necessary, if the politicization of the Post Office means that it cannot be entrusted to get mail in ballots to the polling stations by November 3。 I love this country and its foundational principals, and I would put myself in harms way to defend them if they are under attack. I sincerely believe that our institutions have been so badly corroded under Trump, they may not make it through another four years, under a President who will always put himself above the law and pardon his criminal friends.

Thus, this is a 'Flight 93' election for me, to get Trump away from the levers of power at all costs. If that means exposing myself to risk of contracting COVID-19, so be it. If I wear a mask, gloves, bring sanitation wipes, and do my best to socially distance from other voters, I believe voting in person can be done safely. I've 'suited up' to go to the market, the DMV, to work, and to the vet, so I don't see why I can't do the same for the polling booth.

What do you think? Have the attacks on the Post Office changed your mind on the way to vote? Will you be going in person to the polls? Or will you still vote by mail? I'd be interested to hear folks' thoughts on whether it is problematic that I'm viewing voting in person solely through the personal safety lens, and why just toughing it out and voting in person is less preferable than voting by mail for other reasons that I haven't thought of.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 07:04:47 AM »

I've always planned to vote in person, but it's more out of tradition and just because Election Day is something of an event than concerns about the postal service. 
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:10:00 AM »

I've always voted in person--and will do so again this year, but by early voting.

The reason?  Not sure if my ballot would get there by mail.  My package from Amazon this week was "lost in the mail"!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:11:56 AM »

I never once considered voting by mail and certainly won't now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:19:29 AM »

If I were an American, I’d vote in-person for the first time in more than 10 years.

Dems+Indys can vote by post again in 2022 or 2024 when Trump is ousted and sanity restored at the Post.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 07:24:36 AM »

Seriously considering driving 15 hours back to Missouri to vote in person. We'll see how things look by Election Day.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 08:04:00 AM »

I already sent an application for an absentee ballot.

But I've been thinking maybe voting in person would be best.  Not sure if I'd be allowed to though now since they already received my absentee application.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »

I already sent an application for an absentee ballot.

But I've been thinking maybe voting in person would be best.  Not sure if I'd be allowed to though now since they already received my absentee application.

In Austria, you can bring your absentee ballot to your polling station and vote with it on Election Day.

Not sure if it works in the US ...
xavier110
United States
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 08:50:58 AM »

Arizona has a robust vote by mail program. When I lived here a few years ago I did VBM and I’ll do so again this year.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »

I don't feel safe voting in person.

But I also feel like my vote by mail would be less secure and prone to fraud because of Trump.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »

It's made me decide to vote by mail, since I expect the lines to be long due to the kind of thinking laid out in the OP.  With a shortage of poll workers, a lot of people are going to be in line at 10 pm in various places around the country wishing they had voted by mail.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »

Why? Voting is socially distant. It's always been socially distant. Do they put the voting machines right on top of each other in your precinct or something?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:04:48 AM »

Why? Voting is socially distant. It's always been socially distant. Do they put the voting machines right on top of each other in your precinct or something?

I guess it depends on whether or not your precinct usually has long lines. Mine doesn't here in Texas, so I'm pretty comfortable voting in person. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 09:07:11 AM »

I guess it depends on whether or not your precinct usually has long lines. Mine doesn't here in Texas, so I'm pretty comfortable voting in person. 
That's reasonable, but even the lines can be made socially distant. Sure, the line will be longer, but if the number of voting machines are the same, the actual wait in the line will not change. You might have a longer walk back to your car, possibly, but the process of waiting in line, checking in, collecting and filling out your ballot, and turning it in to the machine should take more or less the same amount of time.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 09:07:48 AM »

I never considered voting by mail in this election. I considered doing early voting but I want my Biden vote counted on election night.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »

I considered voting by mail, but now what I think I’ll do is drop off my absentee ballot at the early voting location in my neighborhood.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »

I will be voting absentee but I won’t mail it. I will take it to the clerk’s office and drop it off. I will say for the record that I’ve seen the mail go almost back to normal in the last week or so, with a few letters getting from Florida to Michigan in 3 days.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:12 AM »

Yes, they do place the machines very close.

My precinct is small, and we vote in what is basically smaller than an average size classroom.  Little more than an office really with machines crammed in.  The machines have waist-level dividers separating them but they are right next to each other.  Furthermore, even with early voting there are generally lines and not much room for a line to go; so you're standing single file right up against each other in a cramped space.  There is no room to really socially distance and there is plenty of person-to-person contact.  Even though they're good at keeping the lines moving, you're still in there at minimum 20-30 minutes for a presidential election (not a long time...but in covid times, it's enough time).

Add to all of that, my county is one of the worst performing counties in north Georgia covid-wise.  The people here are rednecks/Trump supporters who have been instructed by the commander-in-chief that masks are silly and that covid is either (A) just the flu, or (B) a hoax.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 09:27:22 AM »

Live in a functioning and non-ideological state and you don't really have to make this decision. I haven't voted in person since 2016.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »

Live in a functioning and non-ideological state and you don't really have to make this decision. I haven't voted in person since 2016.

And you're fortunate.

Many are not so fortunate to just move states though.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »

I still intend to "vote-by-mail" because I'd really rather not risk getting COVID if I don't have to but I'll be returning it at a secure drop-box rather than mailing it back in.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »

I always planned to vote in person.  There are rarely crowds at my local polling place and I expect it will be even emptier with so many others mailing in ballots or voting early this year.
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »

In person, no mask.   During the primary a nice election judge handed me a mask. I thanked her, held it in my hand, went into the voting booth and carried on.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »

Most Ds want to VBM, like I but, if it doesnt come before early voting, I will early vote, whichever is first, but Cali is going blue
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »

By mail, obviously. I'm in at risk demographic. I've barely left my house since this all started. My child helps with the groceries.

If you are not even wearing a mask - I think you're culpable in part for this continued nightmare.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies