Biden's Debate Strategy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:02:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden's Debate Strategy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden's Debate Strategy  (Read 312 times)
Admiral Stockdale
AdmiralStockdale

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »

Thinking about Biden's debate strategy...

My guess is Trump tries to get Biden off his game, make him seem like a doddering old guy, get him a bit unhinged.  Spew out falsehoods - either about Biden himself or in general.

Biden's best approach is to not engage.  Toss in a few "do you believe this guy" comments if you want, but direct it at the audience/camera/moderator.  Keep his responses short and to the point (PLEASE don't say "my time is up...").   Calm demeanor.  Look and sound Presidential.  Don't get taken down into the mud.  "I'm not going to dignify that with a response... and I have a feeling I might be saying that a lot tonight."  Bottom line ignore Trump's attempt to bait you. 
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:57:38 PM »

Thinking about Biden's debate strategy...

My guess is Trump tries to get Biden off his game, make him seem like a doddering old guy, get him a bit unhinged.  Spew out falsehoods - either about Biden himself or in general.

Biden's best approach is to not engage.  Toss in a few "do you believe this guy" comments if you want, but direct it at the audience/camera/moderator.  Keep his responses short and to the point (PLEASE don't say "my time is up...").   Calm demeanor.  Look and sound Presidential.  Don't get taken down into the mud.  "I'm not going to dignify that with a response... and I have a feeling I might be saying that a lot tonight."  Bottom line ignore Trump's attempt to bait you. 

Don't give the bully the reaction they want strategy is prolly his best strategy
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 08:00:25 PM »

Trump should be pretty easy to debate, really. Just treat him like the bully and idiot that he is. Don't get visibly worked up and force the conversation to stay focused on the issues, which Trump knows nothing about, and the distinction between the two should be obvious to all the viewers.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »

Hillary did all of this. It didn't matter.

Use that same old smile that saved Obama in 2012.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »

Biden has proven to be an excellent one-on-one debater. Trump has... not (to say the least), & could very well be even worse now. And yet, they're all constantly calling him "Sleepy Joe" & such. They're setting themselves up to fail. Their whole narrative is that "he can't hold his own" but once he comes out swinging in the first debate & not only holds his own but destroys Trump, it'll completely kill that entire narrative & show everybody (especially undecideds) that he's neither "sleepy" nor aloof, but that he's very much all there & will stand up for himself & our country.

Given Biden's record on debating & standing up to people, he's got this. To underestimate him would be a massive mistake.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 08:15:36 PM »

Agreed with your general idea.

Lowering expectations for Biden is the dumbest thing the RNC could've done. Make everyone think Joe Biden has dementia, and then when it's obvious he doesn't... he looks even better by comparison.
woodley park

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 10:08:21 PM »

Biden should take the fight to Trump and rhetorically pummel him with his horrific record on COVID, including embarrassing moments like when he suggested injecting disinfectants. If he gets Trump flustered enough, Trump will say something dumb that can be used against him in attack ads. “It is what it is”.

Agreed with your general idea.

Lowering expectations for Biden is the dumbest thing the RNC could've done. Make everyone think Joe Biden has dementia, and then when it's obvious he doesn't... he looks even better by comparison.

Like when the Carter campaign hyped Reagan up as a terrifying extremist, which Reagan nullified just by being warm, optimistic, and friendly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies