Police Reform: Training
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:55:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Police Reform: Training
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you approve a 4 year program in Police Academy for future cops ?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Police Reform: Training  (Read 546 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »

It would probably help a bit if it’s held to high scrutiny and modification over time, but at the end of the day it won’t eliminate too much of the structural problems inhabiting the legal system and enforcement, mainly that its current form is a tool to serve the elite. As a tool to serve the elite, it supports the marginalization and brutalization of entire communities to divide us and keep capitalism and white supremacy going.

Of course, most people don’t buy that explanation or care, so I will also say that considering the system we’re in, I don’t expect quality. My guess is that there will be immense cheating and for the officials to look the other way when they breach protocol, like in real life. In short, it’s both dead on arrival and a non-starter for politicians to implement, y’all might as well be fighting for police abolition.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 05:38:49 PM »

Yes, but make it longer. Let's say 10 years of training and then at the end of the training you don't become a cop
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »

Nuclear take, make them go to law school. 7 years of school to be a cop.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »

You can't learn everything in the academy, whether it's 6 months or 4 years, because it's only there to teach you the essentials: basic policing skills & how the job applies to the law. But it's only there for a certification, & not the job itself: the rest needs to be learned via field-training & by doing the job, because it's simply not something that can be taught in a classroom, so there's really no reason for it to be as long as 4 years.

Now, since it's the police departments themselves which are supposed to train their rookies to standard, that's where training practices need to be analyzed & - if necessary - revamped.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 07:45:33 AM »

did we only allow idiots to vote until now?

I hope no one actually thinks this is a good idea.  If you're just making some kind of stupid point, fine, you've made your very stupid point, but if you actually think this is a good idea....eeeks.  We already live in a world where we don't get enough good candidates, and that's gotten way worse in the last 6 months.  Of course police training should be changed, ALL training should be changed.  What career do you think gets perfect training?  We should always be looking for better ways to do everything, and that of course should include how we train our police officers.  Perhaps they need more law learning, but 4 or 7 or 10 years, in a classroom?  Why would anyone be a cop when they have the training to be a lawyer?  Lawyering can be done by fat people in wheel chairs, cops have to (or at least should be) fit and able to, ya know, open doors by themselves in a timely manner.  Why would anyone do the physically demanding and dangerous job when they can sit on their ass all day talking and "thinking".

And the cost?  I know you all think there is no end to govt money and if we just need more, we can always take it from the rich or the military (or if you're really stupid, print it), but even you people must see that it's not endless (except for the money printer go brrrr half wits).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »

did we only allow idiots to vote until now?

I hope no one actually thinks this is a good idea.  If you're just making some kind of stupid point, fine, you've made your very stupid point, but if you actually think this is a good idea....eeeks.  We already live in a world where we don't get enough good candidates, and that's gotten way worse in the last 6 months.  Of course police training should be changed, ALL training should be changed.  What career do you think gets perfect training?  We should always be looking for better ways to do everything, and that of course should include how we train our police officers.  Perhaps they need more law learning, but 4 or 7 or 10 years, in a classroom?  Why would anyone be a cop when they have the training to be a lawyer?  Lawyering can be done by fat people in wheel chairs, cops have to (or at least should be) fit and able to, ya know, open doors by themselves in a timely manner.  Why would anyone do the physically demanding and dangerous job when they can sit on their ass all day talking and "thinking".

And the cost?  I know you all think there is no end to govt money and if we just need more, we can always take it from the rich or the military (or if you're really stupid, print it), but even you people must see that it's not endless (except for the money printer go brrrr half wits).

Being a police officer should be a privilege. If you REALLY want to be a cop, if you really want to have the responsibility and the power that comes with that, then YES, it should be a difficult and long process.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »

And lawyers get paid way more than cops
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 02:54:59 PM »

The only "reform" I'll accept is the permanent disbanding of all police departments nationwide and the legalization of all crimes.

Nothing less.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 03:41:56 PM »

The only "reform" I'll accept is the permanent disbanding of all police departments nationwide and the legalization of all crimes.

Nothing less.
Nice Strawman
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »

Nothing less.

wat
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies