Opinion of Donatism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:26:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Donatism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Opinion of Donatism?  (Read 1216 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »

In light of its recent ... intriguing invocation in Kansan politics.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 02:09:36 PM »

That kid is a perv.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »

No opinion, while I haven’t heard about the event in Kansas, I can’t exactly give an opinion to an extinct Christian sect from a scantly detailed Wikipedia article.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »

Wasn't on my bingo card.

One of the most boring parts of my college studies.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 07:33:23 PM »

Does this make Trump an Augustinian?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 03:44:38 AM »

Heresy = HP
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »

This, but I'm impressed a nineteen-year-old managed to use the word "Donatism" as close to correctly as he did.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 04:07:36 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2020, 07:49:31 AM by 𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆 »

This, but I'm impressed a nineteen-year-old managed to use the word "Donatism" as close to correctly as he did.

Well, the tweet where he used it was literally copied word for word from a post left by another person on his Facebook page a couple days prior.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »

No opinion, while I haven’t heard about the event in Kansas, I can’t exactly give an opinion to an extinct Christian sect from a scantly detailed Wikipedia article.

Short version on Donatism is that during the Great Persecution a lot of Christian leaders, trying to avoid dying themselves, officially recanted or even handed over Christian holy texts to be burned. (Leading to the word traditor = "one who handed it over," which literally becomes our word traitor) After the Great Persecution, the Church welcomed back in all these backsliders and traditors and let them have their old jobs back. Donatus and his followers argued that anyone who ever backslid and recanted Christianity should be barred forever from holding jobs in Church hierarchy and that anyone they appointed to Church jobs is illegitimate and anyone THEY appointed to Church jobs is illegitimate and etc. and argued that the entire hierarchy of the Church needed to be thrown out and replaced by people who had never given in. It lasted as a movement about 300 years especially in North Africa, rejecting the officeholders of the Church as illegitimate because they had been appointed by people appointed by people appointed by etc etc etc appointed by traditors.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 11:39:48 AM »

Short version on Donatism is that during the Great Persecution a lot of Christian leaders, trying to avoid dying themselves, officially recanted or even handed over Christian holy texts to be burned. (Leading to the word traditor = "one who handed it over," which literally becomes our word traitor) After the Great Persecution, the Church welcomed back in all these backsliders and traditors and let them have their old jobs back. Donatus and his followers argued that anyone who ever backslid and recanted Christianity should be barred forever from holding jobs in Church hierarchy and that anyone they appointed to Church jobs is illegitimate and anyone THEY appointed to Church jobs is illegitimate and etc. and argued that the entire hierarchy of the Church needed to be thrown out and replaced by people who had never given in. It lasted as a movement about 300 years especially in North Africa, rejecting the officeholders of the Church as illegitimate because they had been appointed by people appointed by people appointed by etc etc etc appointed by traditors.

Yep. More generally Donatism is the theological position that the legitimacy of a religious office is vitiated by the personal immorality of the officeholder. In Christianity it's a heretical position, but nowadays more than ever it's easy to understand its appeal.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »

Negative, because it effectively denies the central role of grace in the life of the faithful, and makes the work of God's ministers a matter of their own righteousness rather than of God's righteousness working through them.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 12:10:18 PM »

Mmmmmm. Donats. (drools)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies