Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:34:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 46
Author Topic: Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 23979 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 25, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »

To quote George W. Bush, "That was some weird sh*t."
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #326 on: August 25, 2020, 09:53:53 AM »

Wow... she sounds like when Dwight from the Office gave his speech at the PA paper conference.

I love that scene lol

Blood alone moves the wheels of history.

"It is a privilege to fight!"
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2020, 09:54:20 AM »

Wow, the setting was so sterile and off-putting. Without people there to make that setting more alive, all the speakers felt like they were dictators speaking from on high to the lowly peasants about how things are going to be and how they are the only real option. It wasn't a good look.

The speeches being filled with lies depressed me, but no longer surprised me.

The focus on Trump shows how the Republicans have become the party of Trump, and that's honestly even more depressing. If I were in charge, I'd be focusing on what very few achievements have been made (tax cuts and... Huh) and talking about Republican goals for the next four years.

I just watched an interview clip on Good Morning America with George Stephanopoulos interviewing Nikki Haley. Haley talked about her record on criminal justice issues in South Carolina, mentioning the Walter Scott murder. Stephanopoulos, however, pressed her on critical comments she had made of Trump concerning his Charlottesville speech, and asked her how Trump has advanced forward the cause of racial justice. Haley pointed to the same litany of things which Republicans have repeatedly said about his record: that he passed criminal justice reform, that he has given additional funding to HBCUs, and that black unemployment is the "lowest it has ever been."

She claimed that Obama and Biden never pursued criminal justice reform (which is a lie, given that Obama issued a flurry of pardons and commutations for low-level offenders towards the end of his Presidency) nor that they adequately funded HBCUs. Stephanopoulos pressed her again on Trump, and she hedged, saying that she disagreed with Trump's "style." This is why I've said she cannot advance in a Republican Party with Trump.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »

What's the idea here?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2020, 10:46:37 AM by Lincoln Republican »

I have never heard so much hatred, vitriol, ignorance and stupidity as I saw at the Republican National Convention 2020.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #330 on: August 25, 2020, 10:44:30 AM »

I don't know about everyone else, but Kimberly Gilfoye's speech was uncomfortable to watch.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #331 on: August 25, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »

I don't know about everyone else, but Kimberly Gilfoye's speech was uncomfortable to watch.

That stupid speech was a new low for political conventions.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #332 on: August 25, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »

From what I've seen on Twitter, both her speech and Don Jr.'s were pre-taped.  Those were the best takes they could manage?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »

That stupid speech was a new low for political conventions.

The strangest part, aside from her incessant shouting, was when she told America that President Trump was pleased with it or something along those lines. It's almost as if the RNC is not even hiding the fact they are treating him as some sort of god.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2020, 11:38:17 AM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #335 on: August 25, 2020, 12:34:41 PM »

Low energy RNC has LOWER ratings then DNC by 3 MILLION. SAD
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #336 on: August 25, 2020, 01:07:37 PM »

so far I don't think a single speech during this was as effective as Michelle Obama was on the first night of the DNC convention.

I though Nikki Haley would have pulled it off by honesty he speech was a big letdown
she says America is not racist and then describes how racist  the county has been to her in the past lol.
it was a surprisingly silly speech from someone who is seen as the future of the GOP

Pfft, she's the future of the GOP the same way Marco Rubio was in 2012.

Who will be in top contention for the Republican nomination in 2024 if Trump loses?

At this rate, Trump.

Why do you think so? I wouldn't be surprised if one of his children tried for the nomination, though.

I'm sure some member of the Trump family will run, yes, since this convention is making it crystal-clear that the GOP's "ideology" now basically consists in protagonism surrounding them. (On the off-chance that none of them do, there'll be at least one conventionally-telegenic fortysomething Trump orbiter like Hawley or Cotton or DeSantis in the mix instead.) The reason I'm pessimistic enough to think it might be The Donald himself is that he's already working overtime to delegitimize this election in advance; if he loses, he would be able to claim in 2024 that he was "robbed of his second term" and probably get quite a bit of the GOP primary electorate to believe him.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »

so far I don't think a single speech during this was as effective as Michelle Obama was on the first night of the DNC convention.

I though Nikki Haley would have pulled it off by honesty he speech was a big letdown
she says America is not racist and then describes how racist  the county has been to her in the past lol.
it was a surprisingly silly speech from someone who is seen as the future of the GOP

Who will be in top contention for the Republican nomination in 2024 if Trump loses?

At this rate, Trump.

Why do you think so? I wouldn't be surprised if one of his children tried for the nomination, though.

Definitely some member of the Trump family will run, since this convention is making it crystal-clear that the GOP's "ideology" now basically consists in protagonism surrounding them. (On the off-chance that none of them do, there'll be at least conventionally-telegenic fortysomething Trump orbiter like Hawley or Cotton or DeSantis instead.) The reason I'm pessimistic enough to think it might be The Donald himself is that he's already working overtime to delegitimize this election in advance; if he loses, he would be able to claim in 2024 that he was "robbed of his second term" and probably get quite a bit of the GOP primary electorate to believe him.

I just can't see why he'd run again considering he didn't even wanna be President in the first place & now absolutely hates being President. The only reason he's running for re-election right now is because his ego is so over-inflated that he can't fathom quitting, let alone losing, but if he's already lost & out of office, then I can't see there being anything that would still attract him to the job.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #338 on: August 25, 2020, 01:15:22 PM »

Wow, the Democrats have three million more supporters than the Republicans? No way could they lose now!
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #339 on: August 25, 2020, 01:30:32 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2020, 01:48:22 PM by ReapSow »

What's the idea here?

Trump's party doesn't want you to die with dignity. They just want you to die.
Pro-Israel, anti-Bibi
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #340 on: August 25, 2020, 01:36:02 PM »

What's the idea here?

Trump's party doesn't want you die with dignity. They just want you to die.

Pro-life until birth.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2020, 01:39:53 PM »

I tried to watch a few clips, but it's impossible with all the hypocrisy, lying and dishonesty. Especially Don Jr. is absolutely disgusting and despicable.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #342 on: August 25, 2020, 01:46:06 PM »

she says America is not racist and then describes how racist  the county has been to her in the past lol.

At this rate, Trump.

I'm sure some member of the Trump family will run, yes, since this convention is making it crystal-clear that the GOP's "ideology" now basically consists in protagonism surrounding them. (On the off-chance that none of them do, there'll be at least one conventionally-telegenic fortysomething Trump orbiter like Hawley or Cotton or DeSantis in the mix instead.) The reason I'm pessimistic enough to think it might be The Donald himself is that he's already working overtime to delegitimize this election in advance; if he loses, he would be able to claim in 2024 that he was "robbed of his second term" and probably get quite a bit of the GOP primary electorate to believe him.

I think people are being optimistic to think that a Trump loss will allow the GOP to come back to its senses. Trumpism is now engrained into the party's base, and you know Don Jr. will try to run if he has any desire at all, and would likely be a favorite to win the nomination.

I mean, look at this convention. I think something like half or more of its speakers are members of Trump's family or are dating someone in Trump's family. Scott and Haley were the only ones not related, and I imagine they only did it because they have aspirations for higher  office after 2020
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »

I tried to watch a few clips, but it's impossible with all the hypocrisy, lying and dishonesty. Especially Don Jr. is absolutely disgusting and despicable.

He don't lie, he don't lie, he don't lie...

...without cocaine.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »

she says America is not racist and then describes how racist  the county has been to her in the past lol.

At this rate, Trump.

Definitely some member of the Trump family will run, since this convention is making it crystal-clear that the GOP's "ideology" now basically consists in protagonism surrounding them. (On the off-chance that none of them do, there'll be at least conventionally-telegenic fortysomething Trump orbiter like Hawley or Cotton or DeSantis instead.) The reason I'm pessimistic enough to think it might be The Donald himself is that he's already working overtime to delegitimize this election in advance; if he loses, he would be able to claim in 2024 that he was "robbed of his second term" and probably get quite a bit of the GOP primary electorate to believe him.

I just can't see why he'd run again considering he didn't even wanna be President in the first place & now absolutely hates being President. The only reason he's running for re-election right now is because his ego is so over-inflated that he can't fathom quitting, let alone losing, but if he's already lost & out of office, then I can't see there being anything that would still attract him to the job.

This is why I'm convinved Don Jr. will run in 2024.

Trump doesn't actually enjoy being President, but he feels validated by the fact that he was elected and views his impending (for now) defeat as a huge blow against his ego. Voting for Don Jr. would be basically a proxy vote for Trump for GOP voters in the 2024 primary and (possibly) the general.

If Don Jr was somehow able to win in 2024, Trump could basically claim that 2020 was a fluke or a fraud, and that the American people love him and his family. And he wouldn't have to actually have to make the big decisions and take the blame; he can be a powerbroker, much like how Jared Kushner is now. And Trump probably finds that to be a much better position than the one he's in now.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #345 on: August 25, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »

Why the hell isn't Rob Portman a featured speaker at this thing?  That guy should be the future of the GOP, not these rejects.

In what universe is a 64 year old who first got elected to office in 1992 the "future" of anything?
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2020, 02:41:02 PM »

I understand. America is more and more weary and fed up with this presidency.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »

He’s a gay 21-year-old, watching the RNC — and loving its critique of ‘identity politics‘

WaPo managed to find a Trump supporter who was adopted from Palestine as a baby by evangelical Christian parents, speaks Hebrew, is "pro-Palestine", is openly gay, and attends Oral Roberts University.

What even...

“I see more intolerance from the LGBTQ community for being a Republican than I feel from the Republican community for being gay,” he added.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2020, 02:55:33 PM »

He’s a gay 21-year-old, watching the RNC — and loving its critique of ‘identity politics‘

WaPo managed to find a Trump supporter who was adopted from Palestine as a baby by evangelical Christian parents, speaks Hebrew, is "pro-Palestine", is openly gay, and attends Oral Roberts University.

What even...

“I see more intolerance from the LGBTQ community for being a Republican than I feel from the Republican community for being gay,” he added.

>gay
>Pro-Palestine

LMAO
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

What even...

>gay
>Pro-Palestine

LMAO

Don’t forget the part where he says he got chills listening to Vernon Jones. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies