Tawana Brawley redux
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:52:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tawana Brawley redux
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tawana Brawley redux  (Read 2262 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:35:55 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2007, 04:20:50 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Ten years ago a black female in New York accused a number of white men of kidnapping and raping her.

He story was a lie.

Today in North Carolina it appears that we have a case of deja vu.

The major difference is that in North Carolina, the persecutor is actually pursuing a case where the preponderance of the evidence indicates the allegations are false!

Unfortunately, it is true too many persecutors can indict a ham sandwich (in some cases they have to go to multiple grand juries).

I believe it is about time to disbar and imprison persecutors who abuse their offices.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:10:32 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2006, 10:14:13 PM by Alcon »

Before I go about condemning someone based on a CARLHAYDEN paraphrase, I'd like a news source so I can see the prosecutor's actual logic.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 11:29:05 PM »

Alcon, I can count on you to disagree.

Watch the news and you will see exactly the facts of the case unfold.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 11:40:32 PM »

Alcon, I can count on you to disagree.

Watch the news and you will see exactly the facts of the case unfold.

I think he meant that a link to the story in question would be appreciated.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:55:13 PM »

Nym, given the facts which have been made public to date, the only logical explanation of the prosecutor filing the case is a desire to appeal to a particular constituency.

I suspect that in the long run it will backfire, and he will face disciplinary charges for abuse of prosecutorial discretion.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 11:56:45 PM »

Nym, given the facts which have been made public to date, the only logical explanation of the prosecutor filing the case is a desire to appeal to a particular constituency.

All Alcon was looking for is a news source in which the facts are laid out by someone with direct access to the case.  He's not asserting that what you're saying is false, only that he wants to see for himself.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 01:02:04 AM »

I was just thinking the same thing Carl. In the words of Patrick Henry, "I smell a rat."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:13:28 AM »

I do not have the time to watch CNN 24/7, and the details you have provided (no names, no specific loations, etc.) make it difficult to look up.  I'm not assertign you made it up; I just think that your paraphrase may serve your argument more than the actualities of the case.  I have not disagreed with you on anything so far.

Providing a link is not that hard to do.  I would appreciate it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 01:15:40 AM »

Multiple Links

Have Fun.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 02:06:04 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2006, 02:07:46 AM by Alcon »

Oh, this is that?

I haven't followed this much.  All I know is that she was drunk and was a stripper.   How does this prove that it was not rape?

I also don't see what this has to do with the ethnicities of those involved.  Blacks are more likely to accuse whites; whites are more likely to accuse blacks.  It is how things work, for whatever reason.  What is your point?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 05:39:56 AM »

if this allegatio turns out to be false (which, it appears to be) the woman should be jailed for filing a false police report.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 05:46:39 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2006, 06:07:06 AM by dazzleman »

if this allegatio turns out to be false (which, it appears to be) the woman should be jailed for filing a false police report.

Lots of luck on that one, Wally.

I don't know yet if this case rises to the level of the Tawana Brawley case.  Time will tell.  I think it's disgraceful though that people base their opinions of the case on race, rather than the facts as they come out.  It's starting to sound like an OJ case, in reverse.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 06:40:28 AM »

If I understand, there was at least some evidence of rape.  She had a medical exam and there were some injuries consistent with rape.  The problem is that this exam was several hours after the event and the injuries are also consistent with consensual sex, and she was with her boyfriend between the party and the exam.  It's not conclusive.

Investigate this, absolutely.  Making an arrest, to me at least, seems to be a bit premature.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »

If the case has any degree of merit, the DA certainly has a responsibility as a part of the adversarial system to present the case for the prosecution, whatever it may be, and to pursue it through whichever legal avenues are available (i.e., indictment).

That being said, I am skeptical of guilt in this case, but it's too early to make any clear judgements.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 09:48:29 AM »

This seems to be entirely about class rather than race.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 10:55:36 AM »

While I am generally skeptical of all 'rape', I'm highly amused at the plight of the utterly repulsive 'perps' here.

Even if they did not rape the girl, it would be awfully funny to see their ilk in prison! Smiley
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 12:04:02 PM »

Haivng lived through both when the stories dominated the local news cycles, the similarties are amazing.  The accuser's story keeps changing and getting weaker and weaker.  The negative results on the first DNA tests really do nothing to help her.

Now, according to the radio on the way in to work this morning, she is no longer saying rape but is just saying "something" happened. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 12:12:17 PM »

Haivng lived through both when the stories dominated the local news cycles, the similarties are amazing.  The accuser's story keeps changing and getting weaker and weaker.  The negative results on the first DNA tests really do nothing to help her.

Now, according to the radio on the way in to work this morning, she is no longer saying rape but is just saying "something" happened. 

It is very difficult to convict the wealthy of anything, of course..  and in any case she may have been paid off to drop it.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 08:18:26 PM »

There is one major difference.

In the Brawley case you didn't have a slimebag prosecutor persecuting people one the basis of absurd allegations, contradicted by solid evidence.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 10:10:13 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2007, 10:16:34 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Report: All Charges Against Duke Lacrosse Players to Be Dropped Soon
Friday, March 23, 2007

The remaining charges against three Duke University lacrosse players originally indicted for rape may be dropped sometime within the next few days, according to a report.

Inside Lacrosse Magazine writer Paul Caulfield told FOX News on Thursday that several sources have revealed to him that the assault and attempted kidnapping charges still pending against Collin Finnerty, 19, of Garden City, N.Y.; Dave Evans, 23, of Bethesda, Md.; and Reade Seligmann, 20, of Essex Falls, N.J., will soon be dropped.

Caulfield said his sources include more than just attorneys for the defense.

"There is no case here and they will be hearing a dismissal in the coming days," Caulfield told FOX News.

Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong last year indicted the three former players with raping an exotic dancer hired to perform at an off-campus lacrosse party on March 13, 2006. The dancer, who is black, claimed that she was sexually assaulted in a bathroom in the house by three white lacrosse players. DNA was taken from all members of the university lacrosse team, except for the single black player on the team. DNA tests never conclusively proved that anyone on the team assaulted her. But DNA from other individuals was found in the accuser's underwear, among other places.

Request to Be Removed From Duke Lacrosse Case Duke DA Asks State Attorney General to Appoint Special Prosecutor to Take Over 'Rape' Case Nifong Subpoenas Woman Accusing Duke Lacrosse Players of Sexual Assault.

As the months went on, the story of the accuser — a 28-year-old student at North Carolina Central University — continued to change. When she acknowledged late last year that she could not be sure if she was actually raped, Nifong dropped the rape charges against the three players. The players had claimed their innocence all along, calling the charges "fantastic lies."

Nifong is now facing ethics charges from the state bar association from, among other thing, concealing potentially exculpatory evidence that defense lawyers claim could have proved their clients' innocence.

There have been rumors that the families of Finnerty, Seligmann and Evans may be considering civil lawsuits against Nifong, Duke or the state if it turns out the accuser's story doesn't pan out and Nifong is found to be guilty of mishandling the case.

"This is something that will wait in the wings. Once the criminal case is dropped, we are going to see this and I believe we'll see it quite quickly," said Caulfield, a former prosecutor.

June 12 is the date of the next scheduled hearing for Nifong.

The former prosecutor in the Duke lacrosse sexual assault investigation faces a June 12 trial date on ethics charges stemming from his handling of the highly publicized case.

The North Carolina State Bar has charged Nifong with several violations of rules governing professional conduct, including withholding evidence from defense lawyers. He's also accused of lying to the court and to bar investigators, and making misleading and inflammatory comments about the players.

Legal experts have said Nifong could be disbarred if he's convicted. While he said he's not sure if that will happen, Caulfield said he wouldn't be surprised if the district attorney is suspended from practicing.

"We're going to see the tables turned on Mike Nifong in the media and in the courtroom because he still continues to defend his name," Caulfield said.

FOXNews.com's Liza Porteus contributed to this report.
-----

Here's the url for those suffering from that fetish: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260426,00.html
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 09:32:20 AM »

Update

Barack Obama urges investigation by feds of Nifong.

Here's the link:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/LegalCenter/story?id=2980582&page=1
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 12:08:54 AM »

Before I go about condemning someone based on a CARLHAYDEN paraphrase, I'd like a news source so I can see the prosecutor's actual logic.

By LARA SETRAKIAN
ABC News Law & Justice Unit

April 10, 2007 — The office of North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper will announce that he is dismissing all charges against three Duke Lacrosse players, ABC News has learned from sources close to the case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3028515&page=1
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 04:17:13 AM »

It's been a year.  Can someone finally fix the name of this thread?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 04:22:25 AM »

It's been a year.  Can someone finally fix the name of this thread?

I apologize for the prior incorrect spelling of Ms. Brawley's first name.

I have corrected the spelling.

Hope that takes care of your concern.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 06:50:58 AM »

Very kind of you.  Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length