S.20.3-9: Improved Public Transit Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:14:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3-9: Improved Public Transit Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.3-9: Improved Public Transit Act (Law'd)  (Read 909 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2020, 04:27:06 PM by tmthforu94 »

Improved Public Transit Act

Section 1. Title
i. The title of this act shall be the Improved Public Transit Act
ii. The purpose of this legislation is to strengthen our public railways and incentivize Southerners to walk and bike

Section 2.
i. The Southern Government will allocate an additional amount of $2 billion to repair sidewalks, roadways, and railways. Funding shall be appropriated from regional reserves.
ii. The entities responsible for carrying out infrastructure improvements under this act are subject to targets and performance measures reflecting state transportation goals and objectives. Performance measures shall also include conditions of bicycle and pedestrian facilities, accessibility and safety for pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users on the state highway system.

Sponsor: Spark498

Minimum 48 hours for debate. The sponsor is invited to testify.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »

This bill is intended to provide for those who cannot readily access public transportation. Section 2 is provided to ensure the facilities meet safety standards. My intent is to help our citizens in all areas, especially rural. Contracting out will save the South funds as well as ensuring and maintaining high quality facilities.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 01:45:18 PM »

So essentially this would put more focus towards private businesses to repair roads, as opposed to the Department of Transportation?

I do support this idea in general - we should look to numeralize the budget for this. It is something that is badly needed; while our regional unemployment numbers are looking OK, it is also a good way to provide a boost in jobs for those still looking for work.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 02:14:56 PM »

I think the government does a better job with infrastructure than private enterprise. Roads and transportation are public goods. Private enterprise does not always have a vested interest in maintaining and repairing roads. While non-profit organizations are great, they simply do not have the mass resources to do road repairs.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »

I think the government does a better job with infrastructure than private enterprise. Roads and transportation are public goods. Private enterprise does not always have a vested interest in maintaining and repairing roads. While non-profit organizations are great, they simply do not have the mass resources to do road repairs.

Yes, I agree. The DOT is best suited to provide these public goods. However, I think it would be a good idea to contract out some services to get our people back to work during this time.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 02:17:10 PM »

So essentially this would put more focus towards private businesses to repair roads, as opposed to the Department of Transportation?

I do support this idea in general - we should look to numeralize the budget for this. It is something that is badly needed; while our regional unemployment numbers are looking OK, it is also a good way to provide a boost in jobs for those still looking for work.

This bill provides the opportunity for private entities to contract with the DOT. And I agree.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 06:39:14 PM »

If we made an investment in infrastructure projects, what do delegates think would be a good number?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »

I support the general goal of investing more in infrastructure, particularly in railways and footpaths. But, the wording of the bill threw me off a bit. I think it would make a lot more sense to word it something like "The Southern Government will allocate an additional x amount for the maintainence of sidewalks, roadways and railways" and then that money will go to either private contractors or public organisations on a case by case basis.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 08:25:22 PM »

In agreement with what Thumb said.

If we made an investment in infrastructure projects, what do delegates think would be a good number?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 10:05:26 PM »

I support the general goal of investing more in infrastructure, particularly in railways and footpaths. But, the wording of the bill threw me off a bit. I think it would make a lot more sense to word it something like "The Southern Government will allocate an additional x amount for the maintainence of sidewalks, roadways and railways" and then that money will go to either private contractors or public organisations on a case by case basis.

I can amend to update the language.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 10:09:10 PM »

Section 1. Title
ii. The purpose of this legislation is to strengthen our public railways and incentivize Southerners to walk and bike

Section 2.
i. The government of the South shall offer contracts to private entities such as non-profit organizations for infrastructure improvements. The Southern Government will allocate an additional amount of $1 million to repair sidewalks, roadways, and railways.
ii. The contractors are subject to targets and performance measures reflecting state transportation goals and objectives. Performance measures shall also include conditions of bicycle and pedestrian facilities, accessibility and safety for pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users on the state highway system.

Sponsor: Spark498

Proposing this amendment. How does $1 million sound? It's a size-able investment that is needed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »

24 hours for objections to Spark's amendment.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »

I did some research into the transport budget because I know we increased it quite abit when Tmth amended the Fairbol budget. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it was increased to 70 billion back then, before being cut down to 48 billion but then the chamber passed a bill allocating an additional 15 billion for an infrastructure board.

On the amendment, I don't think a million would be enough. I'm thinking more a billion or two. A million would not have too much impact in comparison to the tens of billions that is already spent on infrastructure maintainence.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 02:22:24 PM »

I did some research into the transport budget because I know we increased it quite abit when Tmth amended the Fairbol budget. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it was increased to 70 billion back then, before being cut down to 48 billion but then the chamber passed a bill allocating an additional 15 billion for an infrastructure board.

On the amendment, I don't think a million would be enough. I'm thinking more a billion or two. A million would not have too much impact in comparison to the tens of billions that is already spent on infrastructure maintainence.

Agree.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »

Sparks amendment has been adopted. Is there another amendment to provide further increase?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 12:52:26 AM »

Offering amendment increasing funding to $2 billion. Thumb is right - this was something that was pushed when I was last Governor, though what my measure did was primarily restore cuts to funding that the previous administration had made. I think it is appropriate that we go a step further here.

Section 1. Title

Section 2.
i. The government of the South shall offer contracts to private entities such as non-profit organizations for infrastructure improvements. The Southern Government will allocate an additional amount of $1 million billion to repair sidewalks, roadways, and railways. Funding shall be appropriated from regional reserves.
ii. The contractors are subject to targets and performance measures reflecting state transportation goals and objectives. Performance measures shall also include conditions of bicycle and pedestrian facilities, accessibility and safety for pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users on the state highway system.

24 hours for objections.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »

The Amendment is adopted.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 01:47:11 PM »

Well shoot, I made a mistake in my last amendment. While I said I was proposing $2 billion, I forgot to change the "1" to a "2" in the text. Offering this:

Section 1. Title

Section 2.
i. The government of the South shall offer contracts to private entities such as non-profit organizations for infrastructure improvements. The Southern Government will allocate an additional amount of $21 billion to repair sidewalks, roadways, and railways. Funding shall be appropriated from regional reserves.

24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 11:33:40 PM »

Amendment is adopted, debate resumes.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 05:55:03 AM »

An amendment to allow access to this money for either private or public entities.

Section 1. Title

Section 2.
i. The government of the South shall offer contracts to private entities such as non-profit organizations for infrastructure improvements. The Southern Government will allocate an additional amount of $2 billion to repair sidewalks, roadways, and railways. Funding shall be appropriated from regional reserves.
ii. The contractors entities responsible for carrying out infrastructure improvements under this act are subject to targets and performance measures reflecting state transportation goals and objectives. Performance measures shall also include conditions of bicycle and pedestrian facilities, accessibility and safety for pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users on the state highway system.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 09:46:11 AM »

24 hours for objections to the amendment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »

Thumb's amendment has been adopted. Debate resumes.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 06:53:14 PM »

Unless anyone else has anything to say, I'll motion for a final vote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 07:45:42 PM »

Motion is recognized, 24 hours for an objection.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 10:21:51 PM »

Seeing no objections, we will proceed to a final vote. Please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies