'Lost Colony of Roanoke' Mystery Resolved, Apparently
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:25:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  'Lost Colony of Roanoke' Mystery Resolved, Apparently
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 'Lost Colony of Roanoke' Mystery Resolved, Apparently  (Read 498 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »

‘The mystery is over’: Researchers say they know what happened to ‘Lost Colony’

The English colonists who settled the so-called Lost Colony before disappearing from history simply went to live with their native friends — the Croatoans of Hatteras, according to a new book.

“They were never lost,” said Scott Dawson, who has researched records and dug up artifacts where the colonists lived with the Indians in the 16th century. “It was made up. The mystery is over.”

Dawson has written a book, published in June, that details his research. It is called “The Lost Colony and Hatteras Island,” and echoes many of the sentiments he has voiced for years.

Dawson’s book draws from research into original writings of John White, Thomas Harriot and others. Most of their writings were compiled at the time by English historian Richard Hakluyt.

Records from Jamestown also helped Dawson understand more about the tribes’ political structure.

The evidence shows the colony left Roanoke Island with the friendly Croatoans to settle on Hatteras Island. They thrived, ate well, had mixed families and endured for generations. More than a century later, explorer John Lawson found natives with blue eyes who recounted they had ancestors who could “speak out of a book,” Lawson wrote.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »

Yeah, this was always the logical conclusion, but there was just no proof. On the strength of that, the so-called "mystery" was generally inflated for various reasons, none of them archaeological &/or historical. But now we have the proof, so this is a really awesome find.
Pro-Israel, anti-Bibi
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:39:34 PM »

What is the new evidence? DNA?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 08:47:05 PM »

I think this has been suspected for what, 400 years now? But what new evidence do they have?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 08:55:29 PM »

I think this has been suspected for what, 400 years now? But what new evidence do they have?

I guess you'll have to buy the book to find out.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 10:12:01 PM »

I guess you'll have to buy the book to find out.

I have to assume the evidence is in there, because one of the reviewers (a teacher, by the sounds of it) has said he will use the book in his classroom, which means he will likely require his students to read it:

This is an incredibly well written book in that its simple and to the point - and that point is much deeper then most remember the “lost colony” story. This is written by a passionate author who cares about his craft, and cares about his people and his history - which is all of our history. This will be a book I will now use in my classroom to not only explain the “Lost” Colony story but will also use to explain the ultimate question about Americans today - “why are we the way we are?”. It’s all here, and the details on the digs and the finds and the theories presented are excellent. If a Lost colony buff like myself, this is a no-brainer. If a historian, it’s also a no-brainer. However, this book transcends those and is an excellent read for all of us to better understand the world we live in today.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 07:18:23 AM »

So they're saying American Horror Story probably had it wrong? Sad
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 05:24:28 PM »

Wasn't the rumor that they all killed and ate each other? Yeah, this is the much more realistic explanation and actually similarly interesting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 07:14:32 PM »

Er... no. An archaeological dig.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 01:08:37 AM »

I always figured they were just demographically replaced by Syrian migrants.
mgop
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 06:48:11 AM »

yeah that multi-cultural theory is cute and everything, but they were probably killed by hurricane
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »

yeah that multi-cultural theory is cute and everything, but they were probably killed by hurricane

"Yeah that thing which is backed up by all of the archaeological evidence & accounts from the past is cute and everything, but they were probably killed by something for which there's literally no evidence whatsoever to back up."

FTFY.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies