Is coalition government finished in alaska (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:01:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is coalition government finished in alaska (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is coalition government finished in alaska  (Read 3227 times)
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« on: August 19, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »

I have a feeling that Alaska might end up with another hung house in January that eventually produces another coalition government. The Alaska GOP has definitely had a lot of trouble forming government in the House in recent years, even with a numerical majority.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »

So in 2019, it took the House around 38 days or so to form a majority coalition. I wonder how long it'll take them to form a majority this time.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Democrats managed to defeat the Republican minority leader this time around, just like they defeated the Republican majority leader in the senate back in 2018.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 02:11:42 PM »

So in 2019, it took the House around 38 days or so to form a majority coalition. I wonder how long it'll take them to form a majority this time.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Democrats managed to defeat the Republican minority leader this time around, just like they defeated the Republican majority leader in the senate back in 2018.
In 2019 they had to form a real coalition, since there were only 15 Democrats and 23 Republicans.

In 2021 will they try to pull two over for a slim 21-19 majority?

Under Alaska statute, vacancies are filled by appointment by the governor, with the confirmation by members of the same party. This could result in replacement of a coalition member by someone of the same party that doesn't join the coalition.

What happens if Biden tries to close ANWR (aka Naval Petroleum Reserve)?

I remember one of the sticking points for Gary Knopp not to join the Republican caucus back in 2019 was because he felt that a 21-19 majority wouldn't be stable. Even though several coalition members were defeated in their primaries this year, something similar could happen again in 2021 and push either caucus to form a larger coalition again.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:59:43 PM »

Sorry to bump this thread, but it looks like there's a movement to form a majority coalition in the Alaska Senate as well:

https://mustreadalaska.com/senate-appears-to-be-forming-bipartisan-majority/

If the House majority coalition keeps control of the House and this majority coalition assumes power in the Senate, this would be the first time since the 1993-1994 session that both houses of the legislature were controlled by coalitions (at least according to Wikipedia).
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:40:29 PM »

Sorry to bump this thread, but it looks like there's a movement to form a majority coalition in the Alaska Senate as well:

https://mustreadalaska.com/senate-appears-to-be-forming-bipartisan-majority/

If the House majority coalition keeps control of the House and this majority coalition assumes power in the Senate, this would be the first time since the 1993-1994 session that both houses of the legislature were controlled by coalitions (at least according to Wikipedia).

The State Senate ended up staying under Republican control as opposed to the bipartisan coalition, but today Rep. Louise Stutes was elected as the permanent House Majority leader for this session:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/02/11/stutes-elected-as-alaska-house-speaker-breaking-deadlock/

One other Republican voted along with Stutes and all the Dems and Indies in the House to give Stutes a 21-19 win.

Although a majority caucus hasn't been formed yet, I think that this move makes it a near certainty that the coalition government is here to stay at least until 2023.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies