Is coalition government finished in alaska
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:24:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is coalition government finished in alaska
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is coalition government finished in alaska  (Read 3175 times)
Lognog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2020, 10:42:13 AM »

Two independent Republicans have been seemed to be ousted, possibly one more. There is only 22 in the coalition caucus. best case scenario there is 20 and the Republican LG breaks all the ties in favor of Republicans.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 10:55:59 AM »

Not if Democrats make gains in November or more/freshmen Republicans and independents join the coalition.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »

I have a feeling that Alaska might end up with another hung house in January that eventually produces another coalition government. The Alaska GOP has definitely had a lot of trouble forming government in the House in recent years, even with a numerical majority.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 10:06:33 PM »

Didn't one of them just die a few weeks ago? I posted it, it was a plane crash.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »

Not if Democrats make gains in November or more/freshmen Republicans and independents join the coalition.

Yeah, this: it'll be a 20/20 tie unless a seat flips in the general &/or other legislators cross the aisle.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 01:24:55 AM »

Speaking of Alaska:

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »

Honestly if this "I'm this party but I'm actually this party" thing in state legislatures dies, that will be a net positive for US politics.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »

Honestly if this "I'm this party but I'm actually this party" thing in state legislatures dies, that will be a net positive for US politics.

Facts. What's the point of being a Republican if you caucus with the Democrats? Just be a Democrat.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »

An update on the primaries here. It's all in the margins:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 03:40:32 PM »

It's either a slight improvement or one of the things that have led to the polarization we have now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »

Ds are done in AK and probably MT, since both Gross and Bullock cratered
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2020, 08:17:17 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Two of the three coalition members who survived their primaries have come out in favour of a Republican majority government in the next session.

The coalition relied on six Republicans and two independents (including a Democratic who defected to independent status for the sake of the coalition). In addition to these two who say they're in favour of a majority next year, two have been primaried, one died in a plane crash and one says she'll do what she thinks is best for her district. There is also one non-caucusing Republican who lost her primary.

The coalition will probably only survive if these two remain persuadable or the last holdout refuses to caucus with Republicans and the legislature is either divided or coalition-tilting as a result.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 12:55:47 PM »

Two of the three coalition members who survived their primaries have come out in favour of a Republican majority government in the next session.

The coalition relied on six Republicans and two independents (including a Democratic who defected to independent status for the sake of the coalition). In addition to these two who say they're in favour of a majority next year, two have been primaried, one died in a plane crash and one says she'll do what she thinks is best for her district. There is also one non-caucusing Republican who lost her primary.

The coalition will probably only survive if these two remain persuadable or the last holdout refuses to caucus with Republicans and the legislature is either divided or coalition-tilting as a result.

Oh, Alaska. I wonder how many politicians there have died in plane crashes. Nick Begich and Ted Stevens for sure, plus this one...
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 04:28:44 AM »

Apparently not:

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 12:17:49 PM »

Apparently not:

The Midnight Sun appears to be a bit snarky in their editorial slant.

Anyhow it appears that the alignment is:

20 Republicans
16 Democrats
3 Independents
1 Independent Republican

In the previous session, the majority coalition included 7 Republicans who crossed over and were given committee chairs and one was majority leader. A Democrat switched to independent and became Speaker. With 7 of 23 Republicans joining the coalition it could be considered bipartisan.

4 of the 7 cross-overs were beaten in the Republican primary, so it seems pretty iffy that the Democrats can offer much inducement (We'll let you be speaker, majority leader, chair of the Appropriations Committee, and two draft choices to be named later seems out of the question).
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »

So in 2019, it took the House around 38 days or so to form a majority coalition. I wonder how long it'll take them to form a majority this time.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Democrats managed to defeat the Republican minority leader this time around, just like they defeated the Republican majority leader in the senate back in 2018.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 01:26:36 AM »

So in 2019, it took the House around 38 days or so to form a majority coalition. I wonder how long it'll take them to form a majority this time.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Democrats managed to defeat the Republican minority leader this time around, just like they defeated the Republican majority leader in the senate back in 2018.
In 2019 they had to form a real coalition, since there were only 15 Democrats and 23 Republicans.

In 2021 will they try to pull two over for a slim 21-19 majority?

Under Alaska statute, vacancies are filled by appointment by the governor, with the confirmation by members of the same party. This could result in replacement of a coalition member by someone of the same party that doesn't join the coalition.

What happens if Biden tries to close ANWR (aka Naval Petroleum Reserve)?
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 02:11:42 PM »

In 2019 they had to form a real coalition, since there were only 15 Democrats and 23 Republicans.

In 2021 will they try to pull two over for a slim 21-19 majority?

Under Alaska statute, vacancies are filled by appointment by the governor, with the confirmation by members of the same party. This could result in replacement of a coalition member by someone of the same party that doesn't join the coalition.

What happens if Biden tries to close ANWR (aka Naval Petroleum Reserve)?

I remember one of the sticking points for Gary Knopp not to join the Republican caucus back in 2019 was because he felt that a 21-19 majority wouldn't be stable. Even though several coalition members were defeated in their primaries this year, something similar could happen again in 2021 and push either caucus to form a larger coalition again.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »

The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 05:06:16 AM »

Why is there a coalition?
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 05:54:44 AM »

Kinda funny that the Republicans apparently failed to pick up the most obvious state legislative pickup once again while simultaneously managing to keep both AZ chambers and gaining the NH legislature.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2020, 09:01:01 AM »

Pretty much because the governor is a low taxes / heavy cuts kind of guy and some Republicans are strongly opposed to that.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »

Pretty much because the governor is a low taxes / heavy cuts kind of guy and some Republicans are strongly opposed to that.

The AKGOP has been split along these lines for a long time, hasn't it? iirc Sarah Palin was actually a relative good guy in Alaskan domestic politics because of her positions on these sorts of disputes.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »

Have the Democrats made any attempt to win Republican voters who dislike this?
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 08:59:43 PM »

Sorry to bump this thread, but it looks like there's a movement to form a majority coalition in the Alaska Senate as well:

https://mustreadalaska.com/senate-appears-to-be-forming-bipartisan-majority/

If the House majority coalition keeps control of the House and this majority coalition assumes power in the Senate, this would be the first time since the 1993-1994 session that both houses of the legislature were controlled by coalitions (at least according to Wikipedia).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies