NBA, MLB ratings crash/flatten, some blame political displays of kneeling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:45:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  NBA, MLB ratings crash/flatten, some blame political displays of kneeling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NBA, MLB ratings crash/flatten, some blame political displays of kneeling  (Read 387 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »

The NBA, the most flamboyant, cultured and progressive sports league in America, and maybe the world, has poor ratings right now.

Some are blaming it on the national anthem kneeling, some are saying that people are too stressed out financially and family wise to pay attention, some blame Lakers-Bucks inevitability fatigue.

The slow, aging MLB has flat ratings.

https://theathletic.com/1997343/2020/08/17/strauss-why-the-nba-has-a-serious-viewership-problem-it-needs-to-fix/

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/trump-nba-ratings-kneeling-covid-1234735157/

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-nba-ratings-crash-why-are-nba-and-mlb-ratings-at-an-all-time-low-after-black-lives-matter-protests/
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »

People realized we can live without sports. People want to be outside. It's summer. People don't want to watch without fans cheering in the game.

Baseball should have fans like MLS. I would go.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »

People realized we can live without sports. People want to be outside. It's summer. People don't want to watch without fans cheering in the game.

I think fanless sports is good, it is less of a distraction.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 07:21:30 AM »

I've watched a few sporting events without fans (baseball and hockey) and while it was a distraction at first (more so with baseball than hockey), it was quickly forgotten about when there was action in the game.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »

The NBA hasn't been worth watching because the games thus far have effectively been preseason games. Now that the playoffs have started, look for the ratings to go back up.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2020, 01:53:14 PM by #neverkamala »

My sports schedule is typically international cricket in the morning, European soccer in the afternoon (right now the Scottish and Swedish leagues and the UEFA competitions), and Mexican soccer in the evening. (obviously, I don't watch all of them everyday, it depends on when I have time) Might start watching CPL cricket, and will definitely be glued to the IPL when it starts. I watched the Yankees/Nats season opener, but haven't watched a MLB game since. I watched a couple of KBO games when they were the only thing on, but I just don't have time to watch American baseball right now. And who gives a damn about the NBA. It's literally a Chinese league.

There's too much good product out there for people like me to waste time with the trash that's being served up in America.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 04:11:13 PM »

What does this mean?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »

What does this mean?

MLS is permitting 5,000 fans to enter the stadium for their regular season games in jurisdictions that permit gatherings of such size. I would be interested in going to a socially distanced Phillies game with no concessions or restrooms if that's what it takes. It is outdoors and that is reasonable distance to create.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 04:26:54 PM »

MLS is permitting 5,000 fans to enter the stadium for their regular season games in jurisdictions that permit gatherings of such size. I would be interested in going to a socially distanced Phillies game with no concessions or restrooms if that's what it takes. It is outdoors and that is reasonable distance to create.
Oh, I read that as saying you prefer MLS fans to baseball fans, and I thought it was an odd reason to not go to baseball games.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »

The NBA hasn't been worth watching because the games thus far have effectively been preseason games. Now that the playoffs have started, look for the ratings to go back up.

Some people blame kneeling.

https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/abolish-gutless-white-journalists-saying-america-when-t-1844777678
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 07:00:12 PM »

As an avid NBA fan, I can confirm, haven't been paying much attention because the games don't really matter.  I watched the last two Blazers games as they qualified and was entertained, because there were actual stakes.

Once the DNC is over I'll probably pick up and start watching, and I'll definitely be watching every game from the conference finals and championship.

MLB ratings are down because the season is a mess and all the teams are shattered shells of their real selves.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 07:20:12 PM »

MLB ratings are down because the season is a mess and all the teams are shattered shells of their real selves.

How? Like three notable players opted out. The intensity and meaningfulness of each MLB game means I am following more closely than ever before, not just my team but each team around the league. There are dumb rule changes but simultaneously epic MVP races, especially in the National League.

One team lost their beloved 38 year old catcher who is probably not much better than replacement level at this point and their league average shortstop for a week's worth of games. I haven't seen a Marlins game in over a decade, and they don't have a relevant player whose stats matter. No one around the country cares whether they would play or not.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 09:40:46 PM »

Maybe nobody wants to see an asterisk Covid championship and season?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies