Ask Battista Minola 1616 Anything - One (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:00:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask Battista Minola 1616 Anything - One (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ask Battista Minola 1616 Anything - One  (Read 2945 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 19, 2020, 01:45:11 PM »

Your English is very good. Is this the general quality of English-speaking/writing among middle-class Italians?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »

What are your thoughts on the US role in Italian politics between 1947 and the end of the Cold War?

And is it common for Italians to regard various instances of intrigue in their Cold War-era politics as the result of US intelligence operations?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »

IIRC, weren't there those hoping to invite D'Annunzio into government to "save" the state from Mussolini--at which point the aforementioned fall happened?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:40:36 PM »

What are your thoughts on the US role in Italian politics between 1947 and the end of the Cold War?

And is it common for Italians to regard various instances of intrigue in their Cold War-era politics as the result of US intelligence operations?

The US role in Italian politics during the Cold War was on some level understandable but generally pretty shady and with possibly lots of shenanigans.
Of course tons of respect to Craxi for kicking the crap out of Reagan at Sigonella, by the way.

Do you know if the invasion of Italy by US troops was viewed as a realistic possibility should the Italian left win control of government? I was reading a paper on US-Italy relations in the 70s and apparently this was viewed with some fear by Italians, who received very mixed signals from the Carter administration regarding the US' stance on--I believe--the PCI.

In said same paper, apparently then-US ambassador Volpe (think the Nixon-Ford term of '73 to '77) hung out with both mobsters and members of the Italian far right. Fairly ironic that a liberal Republican in the US suddenly shifted several steps once overseas, even if not entirely surprising given how foreign policy was run. I guess there's no question in there, but w/e.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 08:56:44 AM »

As a Catholic, do you believe that premarital sex is immoral?

As a Protestant, do you believe that Marian devotion is a bunch of nonsense? Because my sister is convinced it is.

Is your sister straight? I think there's an element of psychosexual sublimation to a lot of Marian devotion that people who aren't attracted to women sometimes have a harder time seeing the point of. Everyone I know with a really intense Marian devotion is either a straight or bisexual man or a lesbian or bisexual woman.

Not your AMA, but might this be a way that certain folks who don't really know their own sexuality, or deny it, find a way of expressing themselves?

And is this all (both your post and mine) a way of saying that it's similar to the Winona Ryder fandom?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 04:10:34 PM »

@Battista What alternative to the term "center right" best represents the Italian perception of DC? Or is it moreso a lack of ideology than a particular place on the spectrum?

DC is the centre, both now and always, and unto the ages of ages.
In part because it was a pretty big tent. Moro might be classified as centre-left, Segni Sr. as centre-right, and so on.

Skimming Moro's Wikipedia page, I find that there's an emphasis on "social reforms" in both stints as prime minister. I find this fairly interesting, if only because, in the United States, owing to fairly obvious polarization, such things if enacted under a Republican president (Nixon perhaps being the most obvious example) might be retroactively labeled as concessions to the left/liberals/Democrats rather than evidence of a sincere center-left orientation. Without knowing the full composition of Italian parliament, who stood to the right of DC? Fascists?

Personal Q's:

A. I remember reading in one of your other posts that you were converting or simply rejoining Catholicism. As you are already in a long-term relationship, how does your partner handle this?

2 - I see that you have cosplayed, but that on such occasion you opted to dress as a character from an historical novel. Nevertheless, the venue was, per its name, a comics shop. What is your opinion on the world of picture books we call graphic novels? Do you enjoy any?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies