Ask Battista Minola 1616 Anything - One
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:39:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask Battista Minola 1616 Anything - One
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Ask Battista Minola 1616 Anything - One  (Read 2871 times)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2020, 12:08:13 AM »

"Celebrating" 2,000 posts and 2 months.

Go!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 12:41:28 AM »

What’s the location of your signature picture? It’s pretty.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:58:02 AM »

What’s the location of your signature picture? It’s pretty.

The harbour and part of the hills in La Spezia, my city.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:45:06 AM »

What's your opinion of major Italian parties?

Which places in Italy would you suggest visiting? Maybe besides Rome and Venice, which are special anyway.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:52:42 AM »

When eating out in Italian restaurants, would you recommend each person has all four courses, or ordering fewer of each and sharing them among one another?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 04:08:13 AM »

What's your opinion of major Italian parties?

Which places in Italy would you suggest visiting? Maybe besides Rome and Venice, which are special anyway.

My take on Italian major parties:

PD - a party full of problems but which comes closest to my political opinions, I suppose.
M5S - such a laughing stock that I have to pity them just because I have heard enough people ridiculizing them already. In my experience there are three types of people who vote or have voted M5S. 1. "The establishment sucks ass" 2. "I know nothing about politics. They sounded cool" 3. Hard left tankies holding their nose.
Forza Italia - now that its vote percentage is fallen so low is kind of a joke, but historically it's a personalistic party based on a billionaire media tycoon who rails against the Left, political correctness, the judiciary and the media, is an extreme womanizer, has authoritarian tendencies, tries to pander to religious conservatives, has been subject to many trials and is known for his emotional appeal and tendency to speak gaffes. Reminds you of anyone?
Lega - have you ever heard of a regionalistic, kind of independentist party for a region that does not even exist? Well that was Lega before Salvini. Now it's a standard right-wing "populist" party (populist my ass, they wanted to introduce an - unconstitutional - flat tax) but I still find their origins pretty odd. I generally dislike them and find their rhetoric massively irritating.
FdI - a nationalist conservative party which should have become the main right-wing party but alas Italian party politics is stupid and so Lega exists. I see no great difference between the two parties' platforms re: 2020 but maybe true believer party insiders hate each other. IDK

Now for the good part:
I would definitely suggest coming here to La Spezia and visit the Cinque Terre and the Gulf of Poets but of course I am biased.
Other than that, Florence, Naples and the Amalfitan Costiera, Turin and Trieste are the first that come to my mind.
As far as canals go, Grado and (especially) Chioggia are like mini-Venices not too far from the real one. There is also an interesting lagoon in Orbetello in Tuscany.

When eating out in Italian restaurants, would you recommend each person has all four courses, or ordering fewer of each and sharing them among one another?

It's your choice. I am used to eat a first course and a second course almost always, but for example my mother rarely eats both. As for sharing dishes it varies. Pasta, most meat and most fish are not usually thought as things to be shared between people. Antipastos and certain second courses yes.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 05:34:58 AM »

I like reading foreign novelists (or even American ones) where their city or region is practically a character in the book.  I've read "Twenty Days in Turin" and have picked up a book by Massimo Carlotto that i haven't read.  Any recommendations?  The big caveat being that they have to be available in an English translation. 
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 06:52:34 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2020, 06:58:20 AM by 𝔅𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔞 𝔐𝔦𝔫𝔬𝔩𝔞 »

I like reading foreign novelists (or even American ones) where their city or region is practically a character in the book.  I've read "Twenty Days in Turin" and have picked up a book by Massimo Carlotto that i haven't read.  Any recommendations?  The big caveat being that they have to be available in an English translation.  

First off, I have no idea what "Twenty Days In Turin" is or who Massimo Carlotto is hahahahaha.

Anyway, as for books where the city or region is very relevant the first that come to mind are the recent success of the Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante; "Ragazzi di vita" by Pier Paolo Pasolini (has been translated with diverse titles apparently); possibly some of the short stories in Primo Levi's The Periodic Table; also I would say that most novels by Sicilian authors feel "very Sicilian".

Although I don't know if I would say that the place is "practically a character" in any of them, that expression makes me think of songs most of all, and among songs I have Milano by Lucio Dalla; Napule è by Pino Daniele; many songs by Fabrizio De André; and many others.
(or Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers to stay in the USA haha)

To be honest I should mention poetry too.
Trieste by Umberto Saba; many poems by Eugenio Montale which are set in the Cinque Terre; are what comes to mind first.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »

Who's your favorite artist of the Italian Renaissance?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »

How does your locality and state feel about Malta?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »

Who's your favorite artist of the Italian Renaissance?

I don't think I have one, but my favourite artwork is probably The School of Athens by Raffaello Sanzio.

How does your locality and state feel about Malta?

I don't think many people feel in any particular way about Malta here.
I, personally, find Malta and Maltese language fascinating and would like to visit there.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »

Off the very top of your head, what do you know about India?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »

What's your opinion of Italian melodic hardcore?

And Italian post-rock?

And Italian screamo?

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2020, 01:54:30 PM by 𝔅𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔞 𝔐𝔦𝔫𝔬𝔩𝔞 »

India is one of the vastest countries in the world. I think 3 million something km2?
India is the second most populous country in the world at roughly 1,300,000,000 people.
India has twenty-something national/official/whatever languages, including Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Oriya, Bengali, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Assamese, Manipuri (?). Most of them are Indo-European. Tamil, Telugu and some others are Dravidic. Some are neither (Manipuri I think is Sino-Tibetan).
India has a Hindu plurality (majority?), and sizable Muslim, Sikh and Christian minorities.
Not all of India was technically a British possession before 1947 because it was full of semi-autonomous so-called "princely states".
India has had religious riots, including one in Mumbai in I think 1992 (or was it 1993?)
India's prime minister is called Narendra Modi and to my knowledge is sort of a Hindu nationalist.
The capital of India is New Delhi.
The "film capital" of India is Mumbai (Bollywood).
The most famous thing in all of India, the Taj Mahal, is I think in the state of Uttar Pradesh, which is also the most populated subnational entity in the world.
I have heard very ugly stuff about rape culture in the state of Haryana.
Etc.

I swear I did not search any one of these things on Google while writing my post.
I have an Indian "pen friend" or to be more precise message friend. She is 25, has just graduated from university in New Delhi, comes from Manipur, is Christian and speaks Paite as her mother tongue.
I also watched "Slumdog Millionaire" like 3 days ago.
Ah and I am a geography geek.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 01:52:04 PM »

I had no idea any of that even existed.

The first and the third are ugly. The second is interesting.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »

What are you passionate about?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 11:58:40 PM »

1,000 posts a month = spam
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 12:52:32 AM »

Who's your favorite all-time Italian Prime Minister?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 03:34:55 AM »

My girlfriend.

I'll take it as a badge of honour, as it comes from the person who uses "fascist" as a badge of honour.

Who's your favorite all-time Italian Prime Minister?

Probably Giovanni Giolitti.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »

India is one of the vastest countries in the world. I think 3 million something km2?
India is the second most populous country in the world at roughly 1,300,000,000 people.
India has twenty-something national/official/whatever languages, including Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Oriya, Bengali, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Assamese, Manipuri (?). Most of them are Indo-European. Tamil, Telugu and some others are Dravidic. Some are neither (Manipuri I think is Sino-Tibetan).
India has a Hindu plurality (majority?), and sizable Muslim, Sikh and Christian minorities.
Not all of India was technically a British possession before 1947 because it was full of semi-autonomous so-called "princely states".
India has had religious riots, including one in Mumbai in I think 1992 (or was it 1993?)
India's prime minister is called Narendra Modi and to my knowledge is sort of a Hindu nationalist.
The most famous thing in all of India, the Taj Mahal, is I think in the state of Uttar Pradesh, which is also the most populated subnational entity in the world.
Etc.

I swear I did not search any one of these things on Google while writing my post.
I have an Indian "pen friend" or to be more precise message friend. She is 25, has just graduated from university in New Delhi, comes from Manipur, is Christian and speaks Paite as her mother tongue.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 01:45:11 PM »

Your English is very good. Is this the general quality of English-speaking/writing among middle-class Italians?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »

Etc.

https://www.flare.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/giphy-2-1.gif

I am not kidding at all.

What do you know about Italy?  Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »

Do you like cooking Italian?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 01:49:22 PM »

Well to make things more interesting and in the context of our two nations, India and Italy just recently re-established semi-friendly relations after Gentiloni and Modi met in 2017.  As you know, India has been pretty pissed at Italy for the Enrica Lexie affair.  
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 01:50:35 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2020, 01:55:51 PM by 𝔅𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔞 𝔐𝔦𝔫𝔬𝔩𝔞 »

Your English is very good. Is this the general quality of English-speaking/writing among middle-class Italians?

Thank you.
Absolutely not, Italians generally are bad at English.
Also did you just infer my social status? Classist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies