2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:32:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 52
Author Topic: 2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)  (Read 30146 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2020, 10:05:58 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2020, 10:06:49 PM »

What's most interesting to me is she said "vote in person, if you can"

It's unfortunate that it's come to this in the pandemic but hearing it in official capacity from the party on a national platform rather than some people on twitter/internet forums is at least reassuring.
Roblox

« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »

Can’t help but notice Bernie’s speech was the only one to mention Biden’s policies!
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2020, 10:07:57 PM »

What's most interesting to me is she said "vote in person, if you can"

The tragedy of the USPS voter suppression is that even if the actual effect amounts to nothing, it dissuades people from requesting mail-in ballots who might ultimately be too afraid to vote in person on e-day (e.g. if there's a local surge in COVID-19 cases). This achieves Trump's aim of reducing use of VBM.

On the plus side, a larger partisan split in votes cast by mail could have benefited Republicans due to disproportionate rejection of mail-in ballots that already existed in certain states (NY, apparently).
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #304 on: August 17, 2020, 10:08:01 PM »

God, what an amazing speech from Michelle Obama. Seriously emotional and moving.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #305 on: August 17, 2020, 10:10:53 PM »

For your viewing pleasure.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #306 on: August 17, 2020, 10:10:58 PM »

So, how much of Michelle's awesome speech will Melania steal next week?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #307 on: August 17, 2020, 10:11:34 PM »

Barack is a very gifted orator, but I have always thought that he has nothing on Michelle. Her speech was extraordinary and it made me proud to be a Democrat.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2020, 10:12:24 PM »

Has anybody noticed that the DNC website is a couple of minutes delayed from the version on TV (CBS in my case), which is presumably live?

Is the tape delay planned?

At least on CNN, there was a commercial break halfway through. This was planned. This explains the Web delay, and should be remembered by the viewership on this board going forward.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #309 on: August 17, 2020, 10:12:27 PM »

So, how much of Michelle's awesome speech will Melania steal next week?

Imitation is the best form of flattery.  That's another way of looking at it...  
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »

The power of Michelle's speech is that she didn't sound scripted, and every word was clearly meaningful. Bernie gave a good speech as well, but there's a certain realness that came from Michelle's that stems from her not being a politician or seeking any political office.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »

Barack is a very gifted orator, but I have always thought that he has nothing on Michelle. Her speech was extraordinary and it made me proud to be a Democrat.

They are tough to compare because they are both so gifted but with different styles.  It's a shame Michelle couldn't have done this speech in person in front of a large crowd.  The audience reaction in President Obama's 2004 speech made it all the more powerful.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2020, 10:14:02 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2020, 10:20:18 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Crazy to think that the Obamas have now given major speeches at 5 conventions in a row, and will almost certainly anchor the next 2 or 3 at minimum.

I wonder how much longer the Clintons have.  They're both in their mid-70s, but it's tough to imagine even a Carter-aged Bill turning down the opportunity to save his party with One Last Speech.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2020, 10:14:42 PM »

Phenomenal speech by FLOTUS Michelle Obama! I loved that she didn't sound scripted even though it was.

Also, Bernie did a great job too.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2020, 10:15:40 PM »

Who spoke around the 9:27-9:34 CT mark?

Jim Clyburn and a Joe with citizens montage. Weird spike.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #315 on: August 17, 2020, 10:17:54 PM »

Does this show anything other than the Democrats are moving further right and are now on par with where the GOP was a quarter century ago?

Oh yes, I remember the GOP of 1996 that supported a $15 min wage in 1996 dollars, universal healthcare with a public option and large factions supporting Medicare for all, had a majority who supported marijuana legalization and had large factions calling to defund police departments.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2020, 10:19:24 PM »

I was skeptical at first, but I think the Dems did very well with tonight. I was afraid it was going to be unbearably awkward. I’m glad I was wrong!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2020, 10:20:03 PM »

Overall a very successful night one. The virtual format actually seems to be overall a plus: Everything can be recorded ahead of time, then more tightly scheduled and presented in a format that can hold viewers’ attention in a 2 hour primetime slot. Also allows messaging to stay on-point.

Bernie had a great speech, I’ll admit it. He said exactly what he needed to say and I hope it reached some of his holdout supporters.

Kasich being there on the same night as Bernie was good because it showed Big Tent unity. Also, the subsequent montage of white suburbanite ex-Republicans (many in swing states) was perhaps the most underrated part of the night because guess what? Those are the voters that are gonna win the election for is.

And Michelle’s speech was EXCELLENT. She returned to “go high,” but clarified that doesn’t mean “play nice.” She called out Trump and the GOP’s voter suppression dirty tricks and encouraged people to vote but not throw their votes away. Her message was blunt and needed to be said, but the speech was warmly and impeccably delivered. Just perfect.
new_patomic

« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »

They shouldn't do zoom reactions again. Too many mishaps or awkward moments where people don't realize they're supposed to be clapping.

Probably too late to fix some of the transitions too. A bit abrupt or random at times, or at least could be smoother.

But, overall, I guess probably as good as could be expected?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2020, 10:31:30 PM »

They shouldn't do zoom reactions again. Too many mishaps or awkward moments where people don't realize they're supposed to be clapping.

Probably too late to fix some of the transitions too. A bit abrupt or random at times, or at least could be smoother.

But, overall, I guess probably as good as could be expected?

Imagine they were preparing this for months and they still had these small problems.
Not let's see next week what happens to RNC which had literally less than a month to make the transition.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2020, 10:35:24 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Can’t help but notice Bernie’s speech was the only one to mention Biden’s policies!

That had better change tomorrow, or I'll consider it a bad omen for the campaign. Biden should want to keep the Republicans fighting on the policy territory where the Democrats lead by large margins and especially in the rust belt. Some are even foolish enough to think that this is where they do best and only need a little goading to start defending corporate abuses and alienating lots of Obama-Trump types.
G_Master
Rookie

« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2020, 10:32:26 PM »

“It is what it is.” Absolutely savage.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »

I'm still floored from Michelle's speech.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2020, 10:44:04 PM »

Does this show anything other than the Democrats are moving further right and are now on par with where the GOP was a quarter century ago?

Oh yes, I remember the GOP of 1996 that supported a $15 min wage in 1996 dollars, universal healthcare with a public option and large factions supporting Medicare for all, had a majority who supported marijuana legalization and had large factions calling to defund police departments.

And I see now how the Democrats of 2020 support English as the national language, prayer in schools, a balanced budget amendment, bans on gays in the military, and eliminating any government involvement in Healthcare. They’re basically the same as the GOP of the 1990s.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2020, 10:45:46 PM »

Online MAGA is MAD about that Michelle Obama speech.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies