2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:35:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52
Author Topic: 2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)  (Read 28535 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: August 21, 2020, 06:14:00 AM »

In case you were wondering why Castro was canceled.

Maybe Castro should have laughed and said "it was a debate" over and over again when talking about the attacks.

Harris attacked Biden on a policy issue and clearly stated that she didn't believe he was a racist.
Castro's hit was ageist and below the belt.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1251 on: August 21, 2020, 06:19:39 AM »

Maybe Castro should have laughed and said "it was a debate" over and over again when talking about the attacks.

Harris attacked Biden on a policy issue and clearly stated that she didn't believe he was a racist.
Castro's hit was ageist and below the belt.

A "policy issue" from nearly 50 years ago that Harris herself didn't oppose. And the clear implication was that he was a racist. And it had nothing to do with age, Castro's comments clearly wouldn't have been directed at the older Sanders.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1252 on: August 21, 2020, 06:19:55 AM »

There is no way anyone with a heart and a love for this country could watch Biden’s speech and not walk away more optimistic about our future.

Biden did a truly magnificent job last night. He delivered his speech with passion, and there was urgency to his words. He was inspiring. I have never felt more engaged in this election than now thanks to his speech.

No other speech during the DNC was to the same level as Biden’s. There is no way Trump will be able to perform better during his speech at the RNC.

The contrast is clear between Biden and Trump. One is presidential, compassionate, and unifying; the other has never acted presidential, has never shown or expressed compassion for another living being, and has never once during his entire presidency attempted in any way whatsoever to unify the people he’s sworn to lead and protect.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1253 on: August 21, 2020, 06:33:56 AM »

A "policy issue" from nearly 50 years ago that Harris herself didn't oppose. And the clear implication was that he was a racist. And it had nothing to do with age, Castro's comments clearly wouldn't have been directed at the older Sanders.

1) No, the implication was about ideology.

2) He didn't attack Sanders because he was after his voters.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1254 on: August 21, 2020, 08:33:27 AM »

1. Castro's attacks on Biden may have crossed a line that warranted him being excluded from Biden night, but if I'm remembering the same exchange, I thought his attacks on Beto were entirely within the spirit of a normal debate. I think he could have at least gotten a spot in one of the candidate montage videos.

2. Who cares who invited AOC to speak? The DNC may be full of olds who don't understand what AOC represents to younger and leftist voters, but when Bernie wanted to invite her, they listened to him. Because that's what liberals do.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1255 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:29 AM »

There’s a very clear difference between (rightfully) calling out a candidate’s past racism and calling him a dumb slow old man....
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1256 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »

Castro wasn't being an attack dog.  He was an outright schoolyard bully.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1257 on: August 21, 2020, 08:52:23 AM »

1) "You opposed integration (busing)" isn't about ideology. It's clearly about racism.

2) I was wrong... he would have directed the same comments at Sanders. But not because of Sanders' age. He says he would have directed them at any of the candidates for forgetting what they said two minutes ago, here. It still wasn't an attack on Biden's age, though.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1258 on: August 21, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »

1) "You opposed integration (busing)" isn't about ideology. It's clearly about racism.

2) I was wrong... he would have directed the same comments at Sanders. But not because of Sanders' age. He says he would have directed them at any of the candidates for forgetting what they said two minutes ago, here. It still wasn't an attack on Biden's age, though.

Yes, yes, yes, we all see how edgy your concern trolling is; you can stop now Roll Eyes
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #1259 on: August 21, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »

DNC
DNC
DNC
DNC
DNC

So much screeching it's hilarious.

It is a well-known fact that the DNC is the source of all evil in this world.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1260 on: August 21, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »

He basically did, except in a condescending, douchey way.  Instead of saying "it was a debate" as in, "hey we were competing and I took my shot, I didn't really mean it", he said "hey dummy, it's called a debate!" as in "don't you dummies realize that me taking these BS cheap shots is the entire reason we're here?"
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1261 on: August 21, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »

Also, I'm not at all surprised to see Castro uninvited.  I cringed so hard watching that debate.  I knew I was watching someone's career self-destruct in real time.  I felt the same way watching Bloomberg but at least that wasn't really an active self-destruction so much as Warren brutally highlighting issues that he already had.

The worst part of it all is that Castro was dead wrong.  Biden didn't forget what he had said two minutes earlier, Castro did.  He had the nerve to attack Biden, repeatedly, as old and senile for forgetting what he'd said two minutes earlier, when in fact he should have been attacking himself!

I still haven't forgiven Cory Booker for going on TV after the debate and backing up Castro either.  It was very un-Booker and very sleazy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1262 on: August 21, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »

Also, I'm not at all surprised to see Castro uninvited.  I cringed so hard watching that debate.  I knew I was watching someone's career self-destruct in real time.  I felt the same way watching Bloomberg but at least that wasn't really an active self-destruction so much as Warren brutally highlighting issues that he already had.

The worst part of it all is that Castro was dead wrong.  Biden didn't forget what he had said two minutes earlier, Castro did.  He had the nerve to attack Biden, repeatedly, as old and senile for forgetting what he'd said two minutes earlier, when in fact he should have been attacking himself!

I still haven't forgiven Cory Booker for going on TV after the debate and backing up Castro either.  It was very un-Booker and very sleazy.

Castro wasn't wrong. He rightfully pointed out that Biden's plan requires people to buy in, but his plan doesn't. And Biden himself had earlier used that exact phrase.

As for Booker... it's simple. Booker understands that society simply cannot deal with the anger of men of color. What Biden meant when he said Obama was "clean... articulate" is that, first and foremost, he isn't angry. That's the real reason behind the ferociousness of the hatred against Castro for that exchange. Booker is well aware of this since he's crafted his entire political identity around the same limitation, and he often got bashed for it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1263 on: August 21, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1264 on: August 21, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »

I'm with the rest of you all. Who cares that AOC wasn't invited to speak. What exactly has she done to warrant being given a slot at the DNC?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1265 on: August 21, 2020, 11:37:28 AM »

I'm with the rest of you all. Who cares that AOC wasn't invited to speak. What exactly has she done to warrant being given a slot at the DNC?

Galvanize young people & make the Democratic Party feel vibrant & full of ideas & cognitive diversity? If an Illinois State Senator can be chosen once upon a time to deliver the DNC keynote because he represented the inspiring, hopeful message that the Democratic Party stands for, than AOC can be invited to speak.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1266 on: August 21, 2020, 11:40:26 AM »

Can we please exclude all twitter grifters from all discussions?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1267 on: August 21, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »

Galvanize young people & make the Democratic Party feel vibrant & full of ideas & cognitive diversity? If an Illinois State Senator can be chosen once upon a time to deliver the DNC keynote because he represented the inspiring, hopeful message that the Democratic Party stands for, than AOC can be invited to speak.

Now if only she had actually done any of those things Tongue
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1268 on: August 21, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »

Finally got around to watching the speeches from Obama, Harris, and Big Guns himself. All of them were good. I especially appreciate that they are trying to promote a sense of urgency, something which was completely lacking in 2016.

This was a great DNC overall. Had no idea what to expect, was fearing it would be awkward and failure, but it was precisely the opposite.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1269 on: August 21, 2020, 12:43:54 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2020, 12:51:41 PM by Landslide Lyndon »

The hard reality is that young voters are unreliable, and it was proven once again during the primary. OTOH, seniors and educated suburbanites are among the most reliable voting groups out there. So the Biden campaign made a strategic decision to appeal primarily to them with the convention, and for better or worse AOC isn't very popular among them.
You can argue whether this decision was right or not, but I think that team Biden has earned the benefit of the doubt.  
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1270 on: August 21, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »

So about Castro being snubbed...

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1271 on: August 21, 2020, 04:56:43 PM »

[...] and let's please keep the Rose Twitter tweets out of here. thanks

Can we please exclude all twitter grifters from all discussions?

I wish that'd also be true for the folks who post their tweets just to mock them.

Not that I care at all about this "group" or whoever comprises it, but they get a much bigger spotlight here from folks antipathetic to them than supportive (Or agitators like jfern). Like, who really cares?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1272 on: August 21, 2020, 05:04:06 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2020, 05:08:10 PM by Monstro »

Anyway, last night did around 24.6 million TV viewers. In comparison, the last night of the 2016 DNC did about 29.8 million viewers.

Given the new format and unknown number of online streamers, not a bad number IMO.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-08-21/final-night-of-democratic-convention-draws-23-6-million-tv-viewers
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #1273 on: August 21, 2020, 05:23:11 PM »

Biden campaign says $70 million was raised this week. Great numbers.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1274 on: August 21, 2020, 05:27:28 PM »

So about Castro being snubbed...

That's a big relief. Whoever tweeted that needless and false insult against Castro should be ashamed of themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies