The Euston Manifesto
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:58:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Euston Manifesto
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Euston Manifesto  (Read 1198 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2006, 07:16:38 PM »

A new 'democratic progressive' movement has been formed, with the support of centre-left bloggers, political commentators and so on and so forth laying out certain principles: I've read it; it is no more than a statement of principles as yet, but it lays down some excellent points. Of course the Guardianista lot have been savaging it because it doesn't fit in with their narrow world view.

The whole lot can be read here: http://eustonmanifesto.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=1

Some key points I liked;

'We decline to make excuses for, to indulgently "understand", reactionary regimes and movements for which democracy is a hated enemy — regimes that oppress their own peoples and movements that aspire to do so. We draw a firm line between ourselves and those left-liberal voices today quick to offer an apologetic explanation for such political forces.'

'Leftists who make common cause with, or excuses for, anti-democratic forces should be criticized in clear and forthright terms. Conversely, we pay attention to liberal and conservative voices and ideas if they contribute to strengthening democratic norms and practices and to the battle for human progress.'

'We uphold the traditional liberal freedom of ideas...This includes the freedom to criticize religion: particular religions and religion in general. Respect for others does not entail remaining silent about their beliefs where these are judged to be wanting.'

Couldn't agree more.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:17:13 PM »

Someone should post this manifesto on DU just to see what their reaction is.  I would do it, but I apparently don't have enough posts to begin any threads on that forum. 
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 11:07:52 AM »

Someone should post this manifesto on DU just to see what their reaction is.  I would do it, but I apparently don't have enough posts to begin any threads on that forum. 

You have to have a certain number of posts to be allowed to start a thread there?  Heh.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:02:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If leftists here in the United States adopted this plank especially (and abide by it in word as well as deed), they can go a long way towards rebuilding their credibility with and rejoining mainstream American society instead of remaining on the fringe.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:54:59 PM »

7 I disagree with, 11 and 12 I question because I don't agree with Stalin and Mao being described as Leftists. 10 i'm not sure about yet. Other then that, quite good.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies