Pro-life/anti-war voters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:31:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pro-life/anti-war voters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pro-life/anti-war voters  (Read 2471 times)
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« on: August 15, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »

That's me, and Republican.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 01:14:32 AM »

That's me as well:

2004 - Kerry
2008 - McCain
2012 - Obama
2016 - Trump
why the mccain obama flip?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 02:11:44 AM »

Trump, for better or worse, has been our most anti-abortion President.  It's not even close.

Could you walk me through why you believe that to be the case? Sincere question. Dubya passed a new abortion restriction (the partial-birth abortion ban) into federal law and got it upheld by the SCOTUS. Trump hasn't managed to do either of those things. Moreover I find it difficult to believe, given the demographics of abortion politics in the US, that the least religious Republican President (possibly the least religious President period) since at least Eisenhower would be the most opposed to abortion on the level of personal sentiment either. So I'm just not sure what basis there is to consider him "our most anti-abortion President" other than campaign/rally rhetoric and willingness to be seen keeping the counsel of "movement pro-life" figures. What, in your opinion, am I missing?

Not Fuzzy, but one major thing Trump has done that I don't think any other president since Roe has done is only appoint Supreme Court justices who appear willing to overturn Roe. For whatever reason, when Republicans who are "open to compromise" get appointed to sensitive positions, such as the Supreme Court, social issues seem to always be the thing they compromise on. Republicans never seem to accidentally appoint people who rule with the Democrats on unions or campaign finance reform or corporations. Instead they always seem to rule with the Democrats on abortion and other social issues. So it's easy to see how someone like Trump taking a scorched earth line on courts can be the most anti-abortion presidency ever.
I'd totally spport a socially conservative, pro worker judge.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »

Trump, for better or worse, has been our most anti-abortion President.  It's not even close.

Could you walk me through why you believe that to be the case? Sincere question. Dubya passed a new abortion restriction (the partial-birth abortion ban) into federal law and got it upheld by the SCOTUS. Trump hasn't managed to do either of those things. Moreover I find it difficult to believe, given the demographics of abortion politics in the US, that the least religious Republican President (possibly the least religious President period) since at least Eisenhower would be the most opposed to abortion on the level of personal sentiment either. So I'm just not sure what basis there is to consider him "our most anti-abortion President" other than campaign/rally rhetoric and willingness to be seen keeping the counsel of "movement pro-life" figures. What, in your opinion, am I missing?

Not Fuzzy, but one major thing Trump has done that I don't think any other president since Roe has done is only appoint Supreme Court justices who appear willing to overturn Roe. For whatever reason, when Republicans who are "open to compromise" get appointed to sensitive positions, such as the Supreme Court, social issues seem to always be the thing they compromise on. Republicans never seem to accidentally appoint people who rule with the Democrats on unions or campaign finance reform or corporations. Instead they always seem to rule with the Democrats on abortion and other social issues. So it's easy to see how someone like Trump taking a scorched earth line on courts can be the most anti-abortion presidency ever.

What the hell does "pro-worker" mean?

Personally, I think of unions. I don't think they are thinking of that, though.

I think when people are talking about "pro-worker" in the Republican Party, they are talking strictly about reducing competition for employment by slowing immigration, integration, and women joining the workforce. Maybe some "trickle down" policies to raise pollution that would allow more low and middle skilled workers into middle income jobs.
I'm not just talking about immigration.  Thinks like unions, the minimum wage, cases involving conflict between labor and management, etc.  I would vote to confirm a judge like that as ling as they were socially conservative.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 04:17:26 PM »

Trump, for better or worse, has been our most anti-abortion President.  It's not even close.

What the hell does "pro-worker" mean?

Personally, I think of unions. I don't think they are thinking of that, though.

I think when people are talking about "pro-worker" in the Republican Party, they are talking strictly about reducing competition for employment by slowing immigration, integration, and women joining the workforce. Maybe some "trickle down" policies to raise pollution that would allow more low and middle skilled workers into middle income jobs.
I'm not just talking about immigration.  Thinks like unions, the minimum wage, cases involving conflict between labor and management, etc.  I would vote to confirm a judge like that as ling as they were socially conservative.

There is an argument to be made that none of the left’s solutions to those issues is actually going to end up being a net positive for “workers” ... hence, the ridiculousness of the term.

How ironic is it that Trumpists are now effectively Rockefeller “Me Too Republicans” on economic issues sometimes?  Lol.
Says RINO Tom
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies