Pro-life/anti-war voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Pro-life/anti-war voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pro-life/anti-war voters  (Read 2418 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »

How have they voted in each election since 2004?

How common are they compared to pro-war/pro-choice?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »

I would say common in the upper midwest. They might be solidly GOP or maybe swing voters if abortion isn’t not a driving issue for them.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »

Definitely voted Tulsi in 2020
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »

That's me, and Republican.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:08:47 AM »

That's me as well:

2004 - Kerry
2008 - McCain
2012 - Obama
2016 - Trump
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 01:14:32 AM »

That's me as well:

2004 - Kerry
2008 - McCain
2012 - Obama
2016 - Trump
why the mccain obama flip?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:10 AM »

Bush 2000 too, I think, but that's when Bush ran against Clinton/Gore for being too interventionist.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 05:47:05 AM »

The 2004 swing map is very interesting. As I recall it has almost the entirety of the interior West voting more D than it did four years prior.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 06:01:00 AM »

I definitely considered voting for her, but I was too lazy to change partisan registration.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 06:51:37 AM »

Bush 2000 too, I think, but that's when Bush ran against Clinton/Gore for being too interventionist.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:19 AM »

According to ANES 2016, voters who supported banning abortions either in all cases or with exceptions for rape, incest, or woman's life and who opposed sending troops to fight ISIS split 44.7% for Trump, 43.7% for Clinton, 6.3% for Johnson, and 2.4% for Stein.

This tool is fun to play with: https://sda.berkeley.edu/archive.htm
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 10:19:44 PM »

That's my father. Republican in every Presidential election in his life except 2016, in which he voted third-party, and a fan of Tulsi Gabbard as well.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »

That's me as well:

2004 - Kerry
2008 - McCain
2012 - Obama
2016 - Trump
McCain anti war? Sounds like an oxymoron to me
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »

That's me as well:

2004 - Kerry
2008 - McCain
2012 - Obama
2016 - Trump

Me as well. I vote Democratic unless the Republican candidate is a member of my extended family (which actually has happened a couple of times for local/state offices).

Fuzzy Bear and I actually have quite a bit of overlap On The Issues, we just have very different issue emphases and political styles. In my experience, other people of whom that's true run the gamut in terms of voting habits.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »

The Republican Party, for the most part, is anything but pro life.

It has always been pro war. I believe that it is very pro death penalty.
With the virus spreading and the Republicans' unwillingness to lead in the effort to
mitigate it, it is not pro life when it comes to this virus.

Being anti-abortion and being pro life are two very different things.

It is true that Democrats are divided on war and peace, and that not all
Democrats are against capital punishment.

The Democrats are also anti-gun. Being a gun nut is not pro life.

The same people who think that they need to a gun to protect themselves are much
less concerned about protecting themselves (and more importantly others) by simply
wearing a mask. That is quite foolish.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 07:07:08 PM »

This, though for me the abortion issue outweighs the war issue when the two conflict, so i would have a more consistently GOP voting history than Fuzzy.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 07:51:44 PM »

This, though for me the abortion issue outweighs the war issue when the two conflict, so i would have a more consistently GOP voting history than Fuzzy.

I have voted mostly Republican for Congress since 1996 on the belief that the issue was the SCOTUS and not the President when it comes to abortion.

Trump, for better or worse, has been our most anti-abortion President.  It's not even close.  AND he's advocated policies that ratchet back the destructive wars of the neocons.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2020, 10:31:01 PM by The scissors of false economy »

Trump, for better or worse, has been our most anti-abortion President.  It's not even close.

Could you walk me through why you believe that to be the case? Sincere question. Dubya passed a new abortion restriction (the partial-birth abortion ban) into federal law and got it upheld by the SCOTUS. Trump hasn't managed to do either of those things. Moreover I find it difficult to believe, given the demographics of abortion politics in the US, that the least religious Republican President (possibly the least religious President period) since at least Eisenhower would be the most opposed to abortion on the level of personal sentiment either. So I'm just not sure what basis there is to consider him "our most anti-abortion President" other than campaign/rally rhetoric and willingness to be seen keeping the counsel of "movement pro-life" figures. What, in your opinion, am I missing?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 02:08:29 AM »

Trump, for better or worse, has been our most anti-abortion President.  It's not even close.

Could you walk me through why you believe that to be the case? Sincere question. Dubya passed a new abortion restriction (the partial-birth abortion ban) into federal law and got it upheld by the SCOTUS. Trump hasn't managed to do either of those things. Moreover I find it difficult to believe, given the demographics of abortion politics in the US, that the least religious Republican President (possibly the least religious President period) since at least Eisenhower would be the most opposed to abortion on the level of personal sentiment either. So I'm just not sure what basis there is to consider him "our most anti-abortion President" other than campaign/rally rhetoric and willingness to be seen keeping the counsel of "movement pro-life" figures. What, in your opinion, am I missing?

Not Fuzzy, but one major thing Trump has done that I don't think any other president since Roe has done is only appoint Supreme Court justices who appear willing to overturn Roe. For whatever reason, when Republicans who are "open to compromise" get appointed to sensitive positions, such as the Supreme Court, social issues seem to always be the thing they compromise on. Republicans never seem to accidentally appoint people who rule with the Democrats on unions or campaign finance reform or corporations. Instead they always seem to rule with the Democrats on abortion and other social issues. So it's easy to see how someone like Trump taking a scorched earth line on courts can be the most anti-abortion presidency ever.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 02:11:44 AM »

Not Fuzzy, but one major thing Trump has done that I don't think any other president since Roe has done is only appoint Supreme Court justices who appear willing to overturn Roe. For whatever reason, when Republicans who are "open to compromise" get appointed to sensitive positions, such as the Supreme Court, social issues seem to always be the thing they compromise on. Republicans never seem to accidentally appoint people who rule with the Democrats on unions or campaign finance reform or corporations. Instead they always seem to rule with the Democrats on abortion and other social issues. So it's easy to see how someone like Trump taking a scorched earth line on courts can be the most anti-abortion presidency ever.
I'd totally spport a socially conservative, pro worker judge.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 02:22:49 AM »

I don't know who has been the most anti-abortion President but I cannot help thinking about Ulysses Grant signing the Comstock laws.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »

I'd totally support a socially conservative, pro worker judge anything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »

What the hell does "pro-worker" mean?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 01:35:14 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2020, 01:40:41 PM by The bEagle Forum »

Trump, for better or worse, has been our most anti-abortion President.  It's not even close.

Personally, I think of unions. I don't think they are thinking of that, though.

I think when people are talking about "pro-worker" in the Republican Party, they are talking strictly about reducing competition for employment by slowing immigration, integration, and women joining the workforce. Maybe some "trickle down" policies to raise pollution that would allow more low and middle skilled workers into middle income jobs.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2020, 01:35:35 PM »

Sshh don't ruin this communitarian nerdfest.

Anyway: probably it means someone who does not vote like Roberts did in Citizens United v. FEC or Janus v. AFSCME.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies