Any way to save the USPS?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:09:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Any way to save the USPS?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any way to save the USPS?  (Read 599 times)
Higgins
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »

I understand that unfortunately the USPS has become a political football in this election. Both sides want to use it to assure themselves of victory. That said, in the aftermath, is there any way to save it?

I will say that as someone who lives in NYC, I've had 10x more trouble with missing packages, packages never being delivered but marked as such, delays and so on, with the UPS and Fedex services, than I have EVER had with the USPS. The USPS always delivers on time, and I can't think of a time in recent history that I've had a package go missing with the USPS.

My grandpa, who was a WWII vet, was employed by the USPS for 15 years after he returned home from duty. He's long since deceased but my mother can remember him getting ready to work, in his uniform, cap and all. He was a mail carrier.

That said, what can be done to save it as an organization?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 11:15:07 AM »

We don't want to use it to our advantage. We just want everyone to vote and let the chips fall. If America wants 4 more years of Trump, it should get 4 more years of Trump. Sadly many Republicans don't believe the same about Biden.

Notice how only 1 side wants a free election, while Trump openly wants to shut down the post office to prevent people from casting votes for Biden.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »

As America was expanding in the 1780s, the founding fathers realized that open access to secure and private communication among its dispersed citizens was critical to forming political groups and holding free elections without fear of retribution. The U.S. Constitution empowered Congress “to establish post offices and post roads,” the most common form of telecommunication (communication over a distance) in 1789. The founding fathers provided the necessary infrastructure to “bind” the growing nation together through communication and commerce.

Pretty terrible when you consider what Trump is trying to do.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »

I understand that unfortunately the USPS has become a political football in this election. Both sides want to use it to assure themselves of victory.

One side wants it to function properly and for people to be allowed to exercise their constitutional rights safely, the other wants to destroy it to assure victory.

As to the question, the way to save the post office is simply quit cutting funding constantly as several administrations have been doing and upgrade whatever technology can be upgraded, new fleet of vehicles (imagine what this would do for the economy as well, look at the manufacturing jobs that it would create) and once that's done it can run much more efficiently at a lower cost in the long run.

As it is something in the constitution as a few have pointed out elsewhere, it's the obligation of congress to make sure it actually functions, whatever that requires.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »

I understand that unfortunately the USPS has become a political football in this election. Both sides want to use it to assure themselves of victory. That said, in the aftermath, is there any way to save it?

I will say that as someone who lives in NYC, I've had 10x more trouble with missing packages, packages never being delivered but marked as such, delays and so on, with the UPS and Fedex services, than I have EVER had with the USPS. The USPS always delivers on time, and I can't think of a time in recent history that I've had a package go missing with the USPS.

My grandpa, who was a WWII vet, was employed by the USPS for 15 years after he returned home from duty. He's long since deceased but my mother can remember him getting ready to work, in his uniform, cap and all. He was a mail carrier.

lmao dawg we have the opposite experience then. I have wayyy more issues with USPS losing sh**t than I ever have with FedEx or UPS.

Like tbh f!ck the damn gov, let the private companies do it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »

Repeal the totally absurd 2006 bill.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 03:50:00 PM »

lmao dawg we have the opposite experience then. I have wayyy more issues with USPS losing sh**t than I ever have with FedEx or UPS.

That'd be cool and all, but the government is sort of required to do this
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 04:10:20 PM »

The Post Office has been quite efficient at delivering letters. Apparently Fed Ex and UPS are better at dealing with parcels because people trivialize 'junk mail'.

The real junk communications now come by e-mail, and it is easy to lose those. A package from UPS or Fed Ex draws attention probably because it comes at obviously higher cost.

Question: do you want to send Christmas and birthday cards at $10 a pop?

OK. We need more drop boxes.

The postal service is a natural monopoly at what it does. One needs to control the costs of natural monopolies, as gouging raises costs for everyone else. We all know how monopolies operate, and it is never for the social optimum.   
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »

FedEx and UPS don't deliver to rural areas.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 04:58:19 PM »

they would if the people there paid them enough
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 05:15:49 PM »

Which they can't afford to do, that's why the U.S. government subsidizes deliveries there.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 05:32:25 PM »

Which they can't afford to do, that's why the U.S. government subsidizes deliveries there.

bruh i live in a rural area if i wanted something delivered badly enough i would find a way to pay for it or drive to a city idk
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 06:10:11 PM »

bruh i live in a rural area if i wanted something delivered badly enough i would find a way to pay for it or drive to a city idk

More helpful Republican advice to solve people's problems:

"Just find a way to pay for it."

"Just buy a car and drive there."

"Just borrow money from your parents."

"Just stop being poor."
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 06:15:49 PM »

We don't want to use it to our advantage. We just want everyone to vote and let the chips fall. If America wants 4 more years of Trump, it should get 4 more years of Trump. Sadly many Republicans don't believe the same about Biden.

Notice how only 1 side wants a free election, while Trump openly wants to shut down the post office to prevent people from casting votes for Biden.

You're full of beans.

That's about the only thing I can say about this without being infracted.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 06:16:24 PM »

Buy a f***load of stamps?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »

More helpful Republican advice to solve people's problems:

"Just find a way to pay for it."

"Just buy a car and drive there."

"Just borrow money from your parents."

"Just stop being poor."

He expresses admiration for at least two sociopaths in his signature — Jordan Belfort and Ayn Rand. Dick Cheney at least is also a sociopath, Liz probably too. So hardly surprising if empathy is a foreign concept to him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »

While I normally support deficit-balancing bills, to balance the budget by borrowing off of USPS healthcare and pension plans is dangerously irresponsible.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 08:30:50 PM »

I had a package go missing with USPS that never turned up ever. It made it to the local post office and disappeared. I had a USPS package that was marked as delivered to my mailbox but was not there. It had been delivered to another mailbox and I finally got it a month later. I had a USPS package marked as delivered to my front door but it wasn't there. 2 weeks later it turned up at my front door. I had a package from Fedex marked as delivered but wasn't there. It never turned up. I had a package from UPS marked as delivered. I finally tracked it down a few blocks over where it was actually delivered. So all 3 have screwed up with me. But usually I have no issues with any of them as I do get a lot of packages.  All of them are useless at trying to investigate missing packages.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »

That'd be cool and all, but the government is sort of required to do this
Technically, empowered, not required. However, it is an essential service, and even if the government got out of the postal business, they would need to do it in an orderly manner, not what Trump is trying to do.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 07:21:13 AM »

No, I worked for DHL for yrs and its becoming a package delivery system, not a paper mail system. Fed Ex, DHL and UPS are now the future
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »

You're full of beans.

That's about the only thing I can say about this without being infracted.

It's the only thing you can say without demonstrating you are completely deluded from reality on the subject. Trump's actions here are so blatant that one has to be a true Trump derangement syndrome cultist to ignore What's Happening Here.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »

The Constitution empowers Congress to establish post offices, it does not require it. When was the last time Congress issued a letter of marque?

Originally, there was no home delivery. Essentially, everything was general delivery, where the addressee was expected to show up at the post office to collect their mail. Being a postmaster in a large city could be a lucrative position because you could collect tips for carrying letters and packages over to a business.

Private couriers could compete once there was rail service between cities and sufficient volume.

In 2020, what need is there for home delivery of paper mail?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »

The Constitution empowers Congress to establish post offices, it does not require it. When was the last time Congress issued a letter of marque?

Originally, there was no home delivery. Essentially, everything was general delivery, where the addressee was expected to show up at the post office to collect their mail. Being a postmaster in a large city could be a lucrative position because you could collect tips for carrying letters and packages over to a business.

Private couriers could compete once there was rail service between cities and sufficient volume.

In 2020, what need is there for home delivery of paper mail?
Retirees, for one, need their social security checks. Of course, a private company could handle that, and any other government mail, but it'd require a carefully planned and phased transition, and would still require government regulation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies