Kristi Noem: To fight COVID, we should put on our "positive pants"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:46:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kristi Noem: To fight COVID, we should put on our "positive pants"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kristi Noem: To fight COVID, we should put on our "positive pants"  (Read 1162 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »

What a controversial take, that we should be optimistic.
Optimism cannot be a substitute for action.
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »

Was she on meth when she said this?
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »

Not my favorite governor, but probably my favorite Republican governor. So far, she has almost nailed the COVID response, which is more than I can say for approximately 48 other governors.

I'm so sick of endless negativity. Complaining can be good if it's accompanied by realistic solutions. With COVID, it almost never is.

What I've learned from Atlas over the past few months is that apparently the competency of a governor isn't determined by how many people actually die or lose their jobs but by how reassuring they are at press conferences.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »

Exactly. I wouldn't have a problem with a governor who has been doing a good job with COVID saying this. The problem is that she's been doing such an awful job.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 02:59:08 PM »

Exactly. I wouldn't have a problem with a governor who has been doing a good job with COVID saying this. The problem is that she's been doing such an awful job.

By what measure? Certainly not by the COVID death rate. Could you direct me to the empirical measures by which she's doing an "awful job"?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2020, 04:03:31 PM »

By what measure? Certainly not by the COVID death rate. Could you direct me to the empirical measures by which she's doing an "awful job"?

Case numbers are still rising, and there is no mask mandate.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2020, 06:51:23 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2020, 12:31:56 PM by Fuzzy Will Kick Covid's Ass! »

Oh, and let's not forget the fighting tooth-and-nail against a shutdown, which suddenly turned several South Dakota meet plants into covad hotspots. The effect was to turn South Dakota from a covid-19 desert, into an least an orange level State per capita. The fact that it should be in such a condition with literally almost zero international travel, or even not much in the way of Interstate travel and commerce outside the interstate, is absolutely indefensible.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »

Oh, and let's not forget the fighting tooth-and-nail against a shutdown, which suddenly turned several South Dakota meet plants into covad hotspots. The effect was to turn South Dakota from a covid-19, into an least an orange level State per capita. The fact that it should be in such a condition with literally almost zero international travel, or even not much in the way of Interstate travel and commerce outside the interstate, is absolutely indefensible.

What I'm seeing here is a lot of cargo cult science. Instead of making determinations of who did a good job based on the objective measures of death rates (either COVID deaths or excess deaths) you're just saying "they did mask mandates therefore Good Job" or "they did lockdowns therefore Good Job" even if the country or state in question has significantly worse outcomes.

Japan never locked down and they're barely over a thousand deaths (at the time the doomers claimed that hundreds of thousands of Japanese would die) whereas the Philippines, which I saw many "science supporters" citing as an example of a good lockdown combined with near universal mask wearing, is seeing new surges and has almost three times as many deaths despite having a smaller population. Sweden is pointed to as the disastrous result of doing nothing and yet they still have a lower death rate than Spain or Italy, let alone New York or New Jersey. Not to mention that Sweden's maintained zero or near zero new COVID deaths for the past several weeks.

Cases are misleading because early on the only people being diagnosed were those with severe symptoms whereas once mass testing began it started including healthy asymptomatic carriers instead. Hence why the increase in cases over the past few months still hasn't pushed Georgia or Arizona anywhere near the death rates of NJ or NY.

If we're looking at deaths then Noem has hardly failed, considering South Dakota has the 12th fewest deaths in the US. It's not like South Dakota never gets visitors, considering it's the home of a little known monument called Mount Rushmore. Certainly she hasn't failed compared to Cuomo or Murphy who somehow managed to achieve the highest fatality rate on Earth, beating out even Brazilian favelas or the packed slums of Mumbai. There's no excuse for such an objectively bad job and yet for some reason everyone complains about the governors with death rates that aren't even in the same universe.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »

Citing policies rather than comparing rates means you’re measuring the means, not the results. But this thread was not a substantive debate about COVID-19 measurements and gubernatorial comparisons. It was a not particularly convincing excuse to bash a Republican Governor for an entire page.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 10:30:50 AM »

The big motorcycle festival in Sturgis. Motorcyclists are highly mobile, and they often have some very bad habits. The ones who contract COVID-19 at the motorcycle festival may not die in South Dakota, but they will have about a 5% death rate.

How did that Trump rally in Tulsa turn out? Ask Herman Cain. Oh, you can't anymore.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies