Justice department sues Yale for illegal discrimination based on race (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:04:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice department sues Yale for illegal discrimination based on race (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Justice department sues Yale for illegal discrimination based on race  (Read 1600 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: August 14, 2020, 04:19:52 PM »

Always questionable and curious when people choose to start caring about "discrimination".

Are Asian-americans not deserving of equal treatment?

So, as an Asian-American, I think affirmative action is a good thing, because it allows underprivileged minorities to get ahead. I would prefer that it would be reformed to also benefit Asians, who have also struggled in this nation for a while. But I can't support this lawsuit, because the end result is that this will end up benefitting white people far more than Asians, and minorities will once again be shafted. Affirmative action exists to benefit minorities, and yes while it usually doesn't benefit Asians, that's not a reason to throw it out, instead that's a way to push it to benefit all minorities, yet as I already said minorities will get shafted by this lawsuit, and white people will benefit.

Good.
Affirmative action is a flawed idea by design.
Aff. Action takes already disadvantaged kids who did worse by academic metrics and shoves all them into a pressure cooker environment.

Affirmative action is a convenient way to hide the real issues, which is the completely insane way our public K-12 schools are funded and too much administration in many of the districts.

This is a win for the Asian American community in general.
Pushing hard working people down is not how we will solve our educational inequities.

I think this is a bad way to look at it, there is systemic bias against minorities, and Asians in this country, and honestly there always will be. I think pushing to reform affirmative action to also benefit Asians would help, as I believe it should benefit all minorities, scrapping a policy that just needs some minor fixes is a bad idea.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 08:55:34 PM »

Always questionable and curious when people choose to start caring about "discrimination".

Are Asian-americans not deserving of equal treatment?

So, as an Asian-American, I think affirmative action is a good thing, because it allows underprivileged minorities to get ahead. I would prefer that it would be reformed to also benefit Asians, who have also struggled in this nation for a while. But I can't support this lawsuit, because the end result is that this will end up benefitting white people far more than Asians, and minorities will once again be shafted. Affirmative action exists to benefit minorities, and yes while it usually doesn't benefit Asians, that's not a reason to throw it out, instead that's a way to push it to benefit all minorities, yet as I already said minorities will get shafted by this lawsuit, and white people will benefit.

By definition, you can't "reform affirmative action to also benefit Asians." Asians don't need affirmative action; that's why they make up such disproportionate percentages of students at so many elite institutions even despite affirmative action laws.

He wants to keep acting woke but also boost his chances in college lol.

No, I just think every group except white people is underprivileged and needs help from the government. Asians are still much, much worse off than white people in general, and college admissions should account for that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies