Justice department sues Yale for illegal discrimination based on race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice department sues Yale for illegal discrimination based on race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Justice department sues Yale for illegal discrimination based on race  (Read 1570 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
« edited: August 14, 2020, 12:02:32 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/yale-illegally-discriminates-against-white-and-asian-students-justice-department-says.html
Yale University’s undergraduate admissions process “illegally discriminates” against White and Asian students, the Department of Justice said Thursday.

A two-year investigation into the Ivy League school found that “race is the determinative factor in hundreds of admissions decisions each year,” in violation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the DOJ said in a press release.

The DOJ’s probe of Yale found that Asian American and White students are one-tenth to one-fourth as likely to be admitted to the New Haven, Connecticut, university as Black students with comparable academic resumes, the press release said.

The last part is probably key.

More important is what the Biden admin might do.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »

Always questionable and curious when people choose to start caring about "discrimination".
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »

Despite there being actual statistical evidence in support of this claim (unlike many other claims of "discrimination") the left isn't going to care about this (and might even overtly defend it) since Asians and whites didn't medal enough at the last Oppression Olympics.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 12:06:35 PM »

Always questionable and curious when people choose to start caring about "discrimination".

Are Asian-americans not deserving of equal treatment?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 12:09:08 PM »

IMO not really at a private university but if LU can't discriminate against certain groups(perfectly reasonable decision) and take federal funds it should be the same here .
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »

IMO not really at a private university but if LU can't discriminate against certain groups(perfectly reasonable decision) and take federal funds it should be the same here .

Despite being "private" the Ivies get enormous amounts of money from the government (hundreds of millions of dollars some years). If they're going to to take that money they have to follow the Feds rules.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »

Interesting how Asians are considered to be "privileged" even though they have the highest poverty rate in NYC.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »

To succeed as a white man these days, you have to be twice as good as everyone else.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 01:36:53 PM »

Ngl, I don't care.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »

Interesting how Asians are considered to be "privileged" even though they have the highest poverty rate in NYC.

You guys don't care about people in poverty anyway. This is a classic yellow avatar race-baiting thread.

If Yale was promoting the applications of African-American and Hispanic students to the exclusion of impoverished Americans of Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc descent that your HuffPost article is highlighting, then this might have merit. I doubt that was the case here. The point of affirmative action is to help underserved groups get a footing in career tracks they previously haven't been able to. So that would mean you would prefer that application to groups who are already well-established. Given the fact that America's universities are already representative to a disproportionate degree with Chinese, Indian, Japanese, and Korean students, plus academic tourists from those countries (especially China) that would include them as well.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »

You guys don't care about people in poverty anyway. This is a classic yellow avatar race-baiting thread.

If Yale was promoting the applications of African-American and Hispanic students to the exclusion of impoverished Americans of Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc descent that your HuffPost article is highlighting, then this might have merit. I doubt that was the case here. The point of affirmative action is to help underserved groups get a footing in career tracks they previously haven't been able to. So that would mean you would prefer that application to groups who are already well-established. Given the fact that America's universities are already representative to a disproportionate degree with Chinese, Indian, Japanese, and Korean students, plus academic tourists from those countries (especially China) that would include them as well.

I swear, where do you guys get this idea that libertarians hate poor people? Why, some of my best employees are poor.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 02:46:47 PM »

Also, when are they changing their name? https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/cancelyale-university-founder-called-out-for-being-a-racist-slave-trader-in-east-india-company-2679853.html
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »

Out of all the Ivy League schools, Yale is probably the most cucked, so this is no surprise.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 03:23:43 PM »

Do you care about this discrimination?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »

18 years old students who have applied to the most elite private schools is a very funny age for the Justice Department to start worrying about alleged race based discrimination in education, don't you think?

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »

18 years old students who have applied to the most elite private schools is a very funny age for the Justice Department to start worrying about alleged race based discrimination in education, don't you think?

You would think people would be concerned about discrimination regardless of the Victim, but apparently not.

They only care about discrimination when it involves whites and Asians. If it were happening to African-Americans you wouldn’t hear a peep.

You would think people would care about discrimination regardless of race but apparently not. Notice how most of the people pushing this story are conservatives.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »

why tf do u even have to put ur race and sex and sh**t on like, college applications.

it's just how the man keeps us down and believing in lies like race
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 04:16:14 PM »

Good.
Affirmative action is a flawed idea by design.
Aff. Action takes already disadvantaged kids who did worse by academic metrics and shoves all them into a pressure cooker environment.

Affirmative action is a convenient way to hide the real issues, which is the completely insane way our public K-12 schools are funded and too much administration in many of the districts.

This is a win for the Asian American community in general.
Pushing hard working people down is not how we will solve our educational inequities.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 04:19:52 PM »

So, as an Asian-American, I think affirmative action is a good thing, because it allows underprivileged minorities to get ahead. I would prefer that it would be reformed to also benefit Asians, who have also struggled in this nation for a while. But I can't support this lawsuit, because the end result is that this will end up benefitting white people far more than Asians, and minorities will once again be shafted. Affirmative action exists to benefit minorities, and yes while it usually doesn't benefit Asians, that's not a reason to throw it out, instead that's a way to push it to benefit all minorities, yet as I already said minorities will get shafted by this lawsuit, and white people will benefit.

Good.
Aff. Action takes already disadvantaged kids who did worse by academic metrics and shoves all them into a pressure cooker environment.

Affirmative action is a convenient way to hide the real issues, which is the completely insane way our public K-12 schools are funded and too much administration in many of the districts.

Pushing hard working people down is not how we will solve our educational inequities.

I think this is a bad way to look at it, there is systemic bias against minorities, and Asians in this country, and honestly there always will be. I think pushing to reform affirmative action to also benefit Asians would help, as I believe it should benefit all minorities, scrapping a policy that just needs some minor fixes is a bad idea.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 05:43:02 PM »

So, as an Asian-American, I think affirmative action is a good thing, because it allows underprivileged minorities to get ahead. I would prefer that it would be reformed to also benefit Asians, who have also struggled in this nation for a while. But I can't support this lawsuit, because the end result is that this will end up benefitting white people far more than Asians, and minorities will once again be shafted. Affirmative action exists to benefit minorities, and yes while it usually doesn't benefit Asians, that's not a reason to throw it out, instead that's a way to push it to benefit all minorities, yet as I already said minorities will get shafted by this lawsuit, and white people will benefit.

Good.

I think this is a bad way to look at it, there is systemic bias against minorities, and Asians in this country, and honestly there always will be. I think pushing to reform affirmative action to also benefit Asians would help, as I believe it should benefit all minorities, scrapping a policy that just needs some minor fixes is a bad idea.
But the point is, you are placing underprivileged students into an environment they still are unprepared for. It hurts the people who got rejected, and I would argue doesn’t really help those who get accepted because of Aff. Action.
We should get the the root of the issue, and that’s a combination of unequally funded primary schools, lack of resources for impoverished parents, and the low value of education in American culture (this one will be hardest to fix)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 05:44:47 PM »

Let’s reverse this.
How about black students who come from high-income households are accepted at lower rates than everyone else, including whites and Asians. Is that okay?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 06:51:32 PM »

By definition, you can't "reform affirmative action to also benefit Asians." Asians don't need affirmative action; that's why they make up such disproportionate percentages of students at so many elite institutions even despite affirmative action laws.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »

I'd just like to point out asians are being rejected from Yale and end up attending UCLA and Berkeley. Oh the horror
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 07:11:36 PM »

Good.

I haven't been on a university campus in the last 15 years and felt Asians were at a disadvantage for admissions. But maybe that's because "Asian-Americans" is too wide a brush for this type of policy. I would very much support Affirmative action that focused on underrepresented nationalities. And as always this stuff should factor in poverty and circumstances at least equally to race.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 07:46:03 PM »

By definition, you can't "reform affirmative action to also benefit Asians." Asians don't need affirmative action; that's why they make up such disproportionate percentages of students at so many elite institutions even despite affirmative action laws.

He wants to keep acting woke but also boost his chances in college lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies