Were the Middle Ages or the Early Modern Period worse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:24:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Were the Middle Ages or the Early Modern Period worse?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Were the Middle Ages or the Early Modern Period worse?
Middle Ages

Early Modern Period

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Were the Middle Ages or the Early Modern Period worse?  (Read 563 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:23:10 AM »

The Early Modern Period saw the rise of witch hunts, colonization, and slavery.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »

Yeah, well it also had the Renaissance, the birth of modern science, and the end of feudalism. By all means, choose the era of the Medieval Inquisition and the Black Plague, but I know where I'm going.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 12:38:27 PM »

The Middle Ages.

Famine, disease, holy war, serfdom, and all of the things you named were all rampant.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »

The Middle Ages.

Famine, disease, holy war, serfdom, and all of the things you named were all rampant.

Famine: also in the Early Modern period
Disease: also in the Early Modern period
Holy War: much more in the Early Modern period (at least, this thread is implying a Euro-centric perspective)
serfodm: also in the Early Modern period
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »

The 14th century was very bad: famine, black death, 100 year war. But in the 13th century, europeans were taller than they were in the early modern period.
Higgins
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 10:19:53 AM »

Witch hunts happened in the medieval period. So did events like Spain casting all the Jews out of their Kingdom, and England doing the same in I believe the 1300s.

Colonization and slavery go as far back as Ancient Egypt if not even earlier than that. I mean, remember, the Jews were Egyptian slaves.

The Roman Empire were colonizers and slavers, as were the Ancient Greeks.

The African Nations and Europeans of the early Modern Period did not create slavery, they just continued it and made it worse and made it even more perverse. And you really only start to see African Americans as going from indentured servants (which were a class that even their fellow whites of lower economic standing could find themselves in) who had a chance of freedom, to becoming true slaves, around the dawning of the Enlightenment era in the later 1600s and early 18th century.

𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »

Witch hunts happened in the medieval period. So did events like Spain casting all the Jews out of their Kingdom, and England doing the same in I believe the 1300s.

Colonization and slavery go as far back as Ancient Egypt if not even earlier than that. I mean, remember, the Jews were Egyptian slaves.

The African Nations and Europeans of the early Modern Period did not create slavery, they just continued it and made it worse and made it even more perverse. And you really only start to see African Americans as going from indentured servants (which were a class that even their fellow whites of lower economic standing could find themselves in) who had a chance of freedom, to becoming true slaves, around the dawning of the Enlightenment era in the later 1600s and early 18th century.

Witch hunts were basically non-existent until the mid-15th century. They were by and large an Early Modern Era thing. (in Europe)

England expelled the Jews in 1290, but Spain did that exactly on the year that conventionally separates the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period i.e. in 1492.

Slavery was not invented by people in the Early Modern Period, yes, but it must be said that slavery was not a thing in Western Europe in the High-to-Late Middle Ages.
Higgins
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 11:06:38 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2020, 11:10:03 AM by Higgins »

Witch hunts were basically non-existent until the mid-15th century. They were by and large an Early Modern Era thing. (in Europe)

England expelled the Jews in 1290, but Spain did that exactly on the year that conventionally separates the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period i.e. in 1492.

Slavery was not invented by people in the Early Modern Period, yes, but it must be said that slavery was not a thing in Western Europe in the High-to-Late Middle Ages.

Slavery was present in the High to Late Middle Ages, actually. It just isn't as covered and also wasn't as institutionalized as later slavery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_medieval_Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

Serfdom was a more popular institution. Which in in it's own way was not that different from slavery or at least indentured servitude as basically your entire existence operated around the tender mercies of your Lord, and there wasn't much room for upward mobility beyond what you were born into. They were given food and a meager wage.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 11:09:25 AM »

Slavery was present in the High to Late Middle Ages, actually. It just isn't as covered and also wasn't as institutionalized as later slavery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_medieval_Europe

Serfdom was a more popular institution. Which in in it's own way was not that different from slavery or at least indentured servitude as basically your entire existence operated around the tender mercies of your Lord, and there wasn't much room for upward mobility beyond what you were born into. They were given food and a meager wage.

Yes of course serfdom was widespread, but it was legally very different and functionally somewhat different from slavery.

Also I said Western Europe precisely because going East, Arabs very happily practiced slavery (including of Europeans).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 11:09:42 AM »

Middle Ages, but they're closer than people might believe in the sense that the Middle Ages is more demonized than it should be - not that it wasn't unpleasant to live in -, and the Early Modern Period is perhaps seen in too flattering a light. It's also very relative in the sense that I wouldn't want to be caught nearby, say, the Mongols in the Middle Ages, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be caught in America unless - and perhaps even if - I was a Spaniard.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »

Witch hunts and slavery still existed during the middle ages. In fact they were on the decline, not rise, in the early modern period.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »

What a fundamentally stupid and ignorant question.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 02:06:43 PM »

All I'll say is no one ever complained by saying, "What is this, the Early Modern Period?"
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »

The Early Modern Period had imperialism, so automatic vote for the Middle Ages.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »

Middle Ages by far. Being a serf didn't look like fun.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies