Potential VPs for a Theoretical 2024 Democratic Nominee Kamala Harris
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:34:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Potential VPs for a Theoretical 2024 Democratic Nominee Kamala Harris
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Potential VPs for a Theoretical 2024 Democratic Nominee Kamala Harris  (Read 2200 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 03:19:46 PM »

I'd actually like Gretchen Whitmer. An all female ticket. Or Mayor Pete.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »

I echo the sentiment that Sherrod Brown would be great if it weren't for the Senate seat issue. Though he'll be up for reelection in 2024 so maybe that could be a potential work around?

If he was already planning on retiring, then it'd be fine (I mean, we'd still probably lose the seat, but with a retirement, that's the case regardless of whether or not he's the Veep), but if he's actively running for re-election, then that's more of a case to not pick him as the running mate in 2024. This wouldn't be the same thing as WI-01 2012, DE-SEN 2008, CT-SEN 2000, etc. This would be a winnable seat for the GOP, & they'd eat up being able to attack Brown for "abandoning OH," "caring more about his resume than his constituents," etc.

That was my thinking. It doesn't strike me as implausible that he'll retire that year, but then there would be the issue of convincing him to become VP in that scenario.

Who knows, maybe OH surprises us in two years and elects a Dem governor.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 03:51:02 PM »

I echo the sentiment that Sherrod Brown would be great if it weren't for the Senate seat issue. Though he'll be up for reelection in 2024 so maybe that could be a potential work around?

If he was already planning on retiring, then it'd be fine (I mean, we'd still probably lose the seat, but with a retirement, that's the case regardless of whether or not he's the Veep), but if he's actively running for re-election, then that's more of a case to not pick him as the running mate in 2024. This wouldn't be the same thing as WI-01 2012, DE-SEN 2008, CT-SEN 2000, etc. This would be a winnable seat for the GOP, & they'd eat up being able to attack Brown for "abandoning OH," "caring more about his resume than his constituents," etc.

That was my thinking. It doesn't strike me as implausible that he'll retire that year, but then there would be the issue of convincing him to become VP in that scenario.

Given DeWine's response to COVID & his resultant sky-high approval rating, I highly doubt it Tongue
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »

Given DeWine's response to COVID & his resultant sky-high approval rating, I highly doubt it Tongue

Unfortunately you're probably right. If only Cordray had won.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 04:19:51 PM »

Beshear would be my pick. Young, likeable, proven electoral track record, has so far done a good job as Governor, and would demographically balance the ticket.

He is much more of a mainstream centre-left Democrat than a Blue Dog like JBE.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 05:42:32 PM »

Senators (Senate-math dependent, obiously):
Tammy Baldwin
Cory Booker
Sherrod Brown
Jeff Merkley

Governors:
Roy Cooper
Jared Polis
Gretchen Whitmer

Cabinet:
Pete Buttigieg (UN Ambassador, 2021-2025)
Julian Castro (HUD Secretary, 2014-2017, 2021-2025)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 07:55:09 PM »

Whitmer would be a good choice, but I'm not sure they'd want to go for an all female ticket. Just hope it's not mayor pete
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 09:23:27 PM »

My top choice which I did on my TL, if Biden wins in 2020; would be Pete Buttigieg. My 2024 election matchup would be Harris/Buttigieg against Pence/IDK.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 09:24:20 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2020, 12:14:13 PM by EastOfEden »

Really is a shame that Jason Kander lost in 2016. He could have been an excellent pick for this. Maybe he still could be, as a dark horse. We'll see.

As it stands currently, I think Andy Beshear is the best choice (insert meme about him making Kentucky competitive here). Sherrod Brown would probably be better if not for the Senate problem.

The pick probably has to be a white man. Dems are still dependent on the Midwest for a while yet.

Edit: add Steve Bullock if he and Mike Cooney both win (so he's a Senator and Cooney can appoint his replacement).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 10:58:29 PM »

Andy Beshear, Sherrod Brown or Roy Cooper

She needs to get a sliver of the white male vote
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 12:03:44 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2020, 12:09:30 AM by Speaker of the Lincoln Council S019 »

Here's my guesses (note not my preferences, but who I see as the most likely)

1. Andy Beshear (easier to pick him if he wins in 2023, but his chances still are decent, even if he loses): Governor from a red state who has handled coronavirus well. His moderate image could help Harris reach out to moderates, and while he won't put KY in play, Southern whites in places like NC/GA/FL might be more likely to see "one of their own" on the Democratic ticket
2. Pete Buttigieg: Young and charismatic former mayor from the Midwest. He will likely get a foreign policy spot in the Biden adminstration, and if he does he would help the Harris ticket on foreign policy. Also has a moderate profile, similar to Beshear, which allows him to reach out to moderate voters, however, would also be a historic pick as the first LGBTQ+ person on the ticket
3. Andrew Cuomo: NY Governor who has received praise on his handling of the coronavirus and has experience in Washington-style politics as he served as HUD Secretary under Clinton. Generic mainstream Democrat who's acceptable to all wings of the party
4. Tammy Baldwin: WI Senator, who has a record of winning in the key state. Fairly liberal profile, so an olive branch to progressives, who might not be completely on board with Harris, if she runs a very cautious/moderate campaign, however still has a record of winning by fairly large margins in WI. Also would be a historic pick as the first LGBTQ+ person on the ticket.
5. Stacey Abrams (this really requires her to win GA-GOV, but I think she will): Young, charismatic and an olive branch to progressives. Liberal views, but still very acceptable to moderate/establishment Democrats. Also an all minority ticket would likely energize minority turnout, which could be pivotal in states like GA.
6. Gretchen Whitmer (this relies on her winning re-election in 2022, which I think she does): Governor of MI, has received high praise for her handling of coronavirus. Also on the more moderate wing of the party, however has wide appeal across the entirety of the party, similar to Cuomo.

I'd say these are more-or-less the top 6 choices this far out, and here's a quick synopsis of why each choice is good.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 02:56:58 AM »

If Harris wants an all-female ticket than the best options are:

Gretchen Whitmer (if she wins reelection in 2022)
Laura Kelly (if she wins reelection in 2022)
Cheri Bustos (again, dependent on 2022)

If Harris needs another minority (non-gender reliant), the best options are:

Cory Booker
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (assuming she isn't redistricted out of her seat in 2022)
Jim Clyburn

If Harris specifically needs a White Male, her best options are:

Roy Cooper (assuming he wins this year)
Jon Ossoff (again, assuming he wins this year)
Jay Inslee (obviously, assuming he wins this year)
Andrew Cuomo (assuming he wins in 2022)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »

Always felt Roy Cooper would be a good fit to be Harris's VP, assuming he wins reelection this year. A popular 2 term gov of a tipping point state that can appeal to white voters. Steve Bullock fits a similar bill, but if elected to the senate, it's not worth giving up the seat, regardless of the Gov Mansion. If he loses, he may be old news by '24 unless Biden puts him in the cabinet. Tim Walt, if reelected, is a dark horse. He'll be a 2 term gov of a critical state and experience in congress on top.

Picking Butti or another woman may "too much" in addition to a black woman. But I'd be happy with either of the named above.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »

Harris would need to pick an "outsider", which probably means a governor or maybe a younger/newer Congressperson.  I don't think she would pick someone who would have been in national politics for 10+ years (like Cuomo or Sherrod Brown)

My top picks for her (in no particular order) would be:

1.  Jared Polis
2.  Andy Beshear
3.  Gretchen Whitmer
4.  Roy Cooper
5.  John Fetterman (assuming he gets PA-GOV or PA-SEN in 2022)
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »

See, now I just want a picture of Harris standing next to Fetterman
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »

Dark Horse: Jason Kander
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »

See, now I just want a picture of Harris standing next to Fetterman

I would love Fetterman on a national ticket, he's awesome. I don't know if he has any interest though.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »

Chris Murphy or Pete Buttigieg if he wins statewide office.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2020, 04:03:23 PM »

Women:

Kirsten Gillibrand
Amy Klobuchar
Gretchen Whitmer
Tammy Duckworth/Baldwin
Michelle Lujan Grisham
Muriel Bowser
Keisha Lance Bottoms
Val Demings
Stacey Abrams (God forbid)
AOC (or someone else from the squad)
Lori Lightfoot

Men:

Pete Buttigieg
Beto O'Rourke
Andrew Cuomo
Julian Castro
Andy Beshear
Roy Cooper
Sherrod Brown
Cory Booker
Andrew Yang (maybe a personal bias for me but I'd rather he be president with a different VP)
Bill de Blasio
Shaun King if he wants to get into politics
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 08:28:24 PM »

Definitely a Senator; I'm not sure why so many people haven't noticed this pattern yet. All Dem VP nominees are Senators.

Two possibilities I haven't seen mentioned yet:
-Chris Van Hollen (kind of a boring choice, but why not?)
-Sara Gideon (if she wins against Collins)

Also I think Gary Peters is actually a plausible choice despite what the OP says.
Fwillb21
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2020, 07:16:33 PM »

Here are my top 10 (in no particular order).

1. Beto O’Rourke
2. Andy Beshear
3. Steve Bullock
4. Mark Kelly
5. Cal Cunningham
6. Pete Buttigieg
7. Jared Polis
8. Ben McAdams
9. Andrew Cuomo
10. Dean Phillips
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2020, 11:52:22 PM »

Harris/Senator Kelly, just like in 2020, takeaways AZ, Rs cannot win without AZ
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »

It'll be a white guy for various reasons. I think she'll go with someone younger.
Pete Buttigieg has executive experience, comes from the midwest and will probably serve in the Biden administration in a way that bolsters his credentials.
Beto O'Rourke comes from an increasingly valuable state, and will probably be a team player in the Biden administration.
John Fetterman is a major contender if he's Governor of Pennsylvania (he was recently elected Lt. Gov and the Governor's term-limited.) A small town mayor is a good contrast with a San Francisco prosecutor. He's a Sanders supporter, but doesn't seem to have alienated anyone. A big tattooed guy has blue collar appeal.

There is a small possibility she'd go with someone older, if there's a sense that a progressive woman of color elected to the Senate in 2016 needs someone bland and uncontroversial. Tom Vilsack and Sherrod Brown make sense. Mark Kelly also has a weird enough background that he makes sense as a 60 year old running mate if he's elected to office, although he seems like a reluctant enough politician that he might not be interested in national office.

Obviously, there's a lot we don't know this far out. If Chris Murphy runs a dynamic campaign in the primary, he'll be a frontrunner. A state representative most of us have never heard of might win a race for key office, and make a splash. Anyone who defeats Rubio or DeSantis in Florida would be important. A member of the administration might perform spectacularly well.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies