Where are all the Republicans/Conservatives that "should" be on Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:33:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where are all the Republicans/Conservatives that "should" be on Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Where are all the Republicans/Conservatives that "should" be on Atlas?  (Read 1863 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 09:31:14 PM »

Many of the educated ones have, and they were disproportionately represented among the right of center population here. The increasing polarization along educational lines in the broader electorate means the newcomers will be more likely to be from the racist, fascistic, and unhinged rump of the right wing.

I'd rather have more posters like you, hope to see you more frequently here.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:21 AM »

CityData. That place is a hellhole.

You don't think it's totally normal to have separate boards for "Legal Immigration" and "Illegal Immigration"?

..Why would that not be normal?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 08:54:25 AM »

Nobody "should" be on Atlas.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 07:47:02 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2020, 07:53:47 AM by Torie »

I'd like to know why people like Inks, bullmoose, or Torie, stopped posting. They were very respected around here.

I don't think Torie is a Republican anymore. I can be mistaken, of course.

No I am not, but I don't pretend to be in the vanguard of the revolution either. But various trends in society have exacerbated income inequality, causing a fraying of social well being of many in the lower income groups, and a much tougher road for those who don't do well with the three r's - reading, writing and arithmetic.  In my neck of the woods, up close and personal, hard drugs have also caused a much wider path of destruction than before. It's quite tragic really. My perhaps self serving characterization of my ideology is a data based centrist with a conscience, that does not put front and center as the factor that "trumps" all else, my own financial well being. I also cringe at social boars as to whom one can check both the wealth and narcissist baskets.

Social snobs also suck. An example of the snob bit is a local lady who is not particularly wealthy but has very bourgeois values, who wants to subsidize shops on Warren Street (drawing down on the  400K or so of dollars to promote "tourism" from a portion of the recently adopted local lodging tax), that are struggling due to the pandemic that sell products with which she finds favor, like handmade and clever childrens' toys and clothing that are just perfect for someone visiting from the upper east side of Manhattan to give their grandkids, but not one cent for the local tattoo parlor. I am much more of a social Darwinist myself about the survival of the array of such shops that typically are run by hobbyists. If one such retail shop fails, it will be replaced in short order by another run by someone looking for an avocation who has too much time on their hands and is bored.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 11:21:56 AM »

Has anyone checked Tender's basement? Wink
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2020, 10:03:48 PM »

No I am not, but I don't pretend to be in the vanguard of the revolution either. But various trends in society have exacerbated income inequality, causing a fraying of social well being of many in the lower income groups, and a much tougher road for those who don't do well with the three r's - reading, writing and arithmetic.  In my neck of the woods, up close and personal, hard drugs have also caused a much wider path of destruction than before. It's quite tragic really. My perhaps self serving characterization of my ideology is a data based centrist with a conscience, that does not put front and center as the factor that "trumps" all else, my own financial well being. I also cringe at social boars as to whom one can check both the wealth and narcissist baskets.

Social snobs also suck. An example of the snob bit is a local lady who is not particularly wealthy but has very bourgeois values, who wants to subsidize shops on Warren Street (drawing down on the  400K or so of dollars to promote "tourism" from a portion of the recently adopted local lodging tax), that are struggling due to the pandemic that sell products with which she finds favor, like handmade and clever childrens' toys and clothing that are just perfect for someone visiting from the upper east side of Manhattan to give their grandkids, but not one cent for the local tattoo parlor. I am much more of a social Darwinist myself about the survival of the array of such shops that typically are run by hobbyists. If one such retail shop fails, it will be replaced in short order by another run by someone looking for an avocation who has too much time on their hands and is bored.

One thing I’ve always admired about you is how you balance a liberal worldview with a Burkean, conservative mind. Therefore, income inequality is not ideologically and morally unjust - it is damaging to the security of the foundations of our society.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »

So, what it says on the question: Why are conservatives, Republicans, right of center independents and Trumpists so underrepresented on Atlas? And if they are not on Atlas, where are all the conservatives commenting on the internet?

Most conservatives and right-leaning types seem to comment on conservative websites-think of places like Fox News, Townhall, Breitbart, The Federalist, The Gateway Pundit, and the Daily Wire, to give you some examples.
So, the answer the OP is looking for is...

Safe spaces.

That really tickles me for some reason.

Conservatives (and, in particular, conservatives who at least intend to vote for Donald Trump) don't want "safe spaces", but some folks get tired of being called racists, misogynists, etc. by multiple posters.  They also have to deal with irrational statements to the effect of "If you're a Trump supporter, you're a horrible person by definition." 

Some people get tired of rebutting that to a forum that is more of an echo chamber now than it was when I joined it in 2012.  They also get tired of cries of "whataboutism" when their own inconsistent reasoning is pointed out.  Now inconsistent reasoning can often be defended; you don't always do the same thing in seemingly similar situations, but if you're worth your salt, you are able and willing to defend that.

And let's be honest;  This forum is NOT representative of a cross-section of Americans.  Conservatives are rudely insulted and PERSONALLY attacked for voicing opinions that Talk Elections posters don't agree with, but which are commonplace in everyday life. 

Some people get tired of that aspect of the Forum.  It doesn't occur to the worst of the Atlas Left that when you post in ways designed to drive those that disagree with you out of the Forum, eventually Talk Elections ceases to be a Forum and becomes an Echo Chamber.  It's a negative commentary on many here who actually wish this to occur.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 11:40:59 PM »

I'd like to know why people like Inks, bullmoose, or Torie, stopped posting. They were very respected around here.

I took a break toward the end of 2014; I don't really remember the specifics of why. The summer of 2014 wasn't exactly the most fun time for me around here. After I resigned as a mod, I had intended to stay involved in Atlasia, and then I lost reelection. Without much keeping me here, I just took a break. If I remember correctly, I intended it to be a short break--probably to focus on law school. But it turned into being gone over a year, which was something I certainly never originally intended.

When I came back in early 2016, I had the intention of trying to stay around. But, at least for me, once I lost the routine of being on the forum every day (or nearly every day) I usually would end up just forgetting after a day or two. I've tried to come back a few times, but with my busy schedule, my returns usually end up only being for a few days at a time.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »

They are on other websites like Discord, this is an Atlas, for map mapping and since 2004, 2010, 2014 and 2016 were the only years where Rs netted seats, Tories are more apt to talk about politics than making maps.  2006, 2008, 2012, 2018 and 2020, Ds expected to net more seats than Rs
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »

I thought it was just for mapping rather than map mapping, but you learn something new every day.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2020, 11:21:27 PM »

I thought it was just for mapping rather than map mapping, but you learn something new every day.

How does one map map, anyway?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2020, 01:13:46 AM »

True. At least for me.

Also lots of life type stuff happened. But I check in from time to time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2020, 01:36:43 AM »

No I am not, but I don't pretend to be in the vanguard of the revolution either.

If anyone was a vanguard, wouldn't it have been opebo?  Devil Devil Granted, despite me being here a long time, I was not here for blue opebo, which was probably as much of an act as his later red opebo stage.  Altho, if he hadn't been banned, I could easily see him returning to a blue avatar because of Trump.  Trump's self-image is rather similar to opebo's, so he probably would identify with Trump.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2020, 02:33:14 AM »

You don't think it's totally normal to have separate boards for "Legal Immigration" and "Illegal Immigration"?

I'm sorry but this is hilarious.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2020, 09:26:25 AM »

Not enough free time to keep up with children, who make up a disproportionate segment of this site and have ample free time. Discussion here moves too fast and says too little for adults (or Young Republicans, who are adult-like freaks) to take interest.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2020, 09:27:51 AM »

No I am not, but I don't pretend to be in the vanguard of the revolution either.

If anyone was a vanguard, wouldn't it have been opebo?  Devil Devil Granted, despite me being here a long time, I was not here for blue opebo, which was probably as much of an act as his later red opebo stage.  Altho, if he hadn't been banned, I could easily see him returning to a blue avatar because of Trump.  Trump's self-image is rather similar to opebo's, so he probably would identify with Trump.

Cut to ern’s house. A Trump mug unwillingly acquired
 smashes on the floor. The bottom of the mug says opebo - Thailand.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2020, 09:38:54 AM »

They are more likely in Biden's basement than mine ...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »

This is one of the funniest posts on Atlas. Good job!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »

Forum factors favoring the Pubs: (1)white and (2)male.

Forum factors favoring the Dems: (1)educated, (2)young, (3)nerdish, (4)foreign, (5)urban, (6)secular, (7)unpartnered/unmarried  and (8)LGBT.

So the score is 8 to 2.

My score is 6 (white, male, old (boomer), un-nerdish, domestic, partnered) to 4 (educated, secular, LQBT, urban).
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »

It’s good to see Torie still keeps the peace.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2020, 02:40:55 PM »

They get relentlessly hounded off the site by posters with red avatars who can't handle any poll that doesn't have Biden up by ten.

But I'm still here.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2020, 05:40:10 PM by RoboWop »

Many of the educated ones have, and they were disproportionately represented among the right of center population here. The increasing polarization along educational lines in the broader electorate means the newcomers will be more likely to be from the racist, fascistic, and unhinged rump of the right wing.

There's an interesting phenomenon I've noticed on this forum in particular. A significant faction, probably a majority, of the people here with doctoral degrees (that I'm aware of) have shifted further right in the past few years. Very possible that those are just the ones who are most open (to me) about their educational backgrounds, though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies