Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:51:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 146220 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: November 27, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »

The judge who wrote the opinion was appointed by Trump himself. And the other two were appointed by George W. Bush.

Still sad that the fate of the country essentially rests on Brett Kavanaugh now.

Not really. The case being appealed was dismissed with prejudice, meaning that Trump can not appeal it. His legal team is appealing that dismissal. So even if SCOTUS takes the case they'd only be ruling on if the dismissal was valid, and even if it was overturned that would just remand the case back to the first level of federal court. The odds of this getting overturned before December 8 is close to zero regardless of what SCOTUS does. For that reason I doubt they even grant cert.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1151 on: November 27, 2020, 03:38:49 PM »

The judge who wrote the opinion was appointed by Trump himself. And the other two were appointed by George W. Bush.

Still sad that the fate of the country essentially rests on Brett Kavanaugh now.

This is over-the-top dooming; every case has been dismissed out of hand with the legal language equivalent of "GTFO", even by judges appointed by Trump. Extremely unlikely the Supreme Court takes up the case. It's good to see that judges still see themselves as stewards of the Constitution and democracy and not as the lackeys of one party or the other.

I'm not saying they'll win, but as far as I know, SCOTUS only requires four votes to take up a case--so my point stands. Merely taking up the case at all would set a damaging precedent.

I'll add that decisions will not necessarily be the same from people with a higher profile than the judges that have so far been put on cases.

You're definitely dooming here, making it sound like the decision could go either way on the Supreme Court. Alito and Thomas might take up the case, but I doubt Barrett, Gorsuch, or Kavanaugh want to touch it. These guys are not Eric, Don Jr, and Ivanka.

As to your second point, that should make it even less likely the Supreme Court will actually support Trump; a lower level no-name judge can do his MAGA virtue signaling without much repercussions because he knows a higher court will overturn it and it will be forgotten because he's not high enough, while Supreme Court justices for sure know that their decisions are final and they will have to live with the consequences.

I'm all but certain Barrett will agree to take it up. And I'll reiterate what I've been saying for months--it's not that I think this will happen, but it shouldn't have anything beyond a non-zero chance of happening. Even if the chances are 1%, the fact that it's even a remote possibility really says something about the point we've come to.

I totally disagree with you. Agreeing to taking up this case requires a justice to not only be a partisan hack, but a corrupt partisan hack. Thomas and Alito have shown signs of that, but I've seen no indication nor aware of any such history from Barrett.

Let's not forget that this is a case where the plaintiffs have brought no specific claims, no evidence, and in the courtroom the main plaintiff even denied that the case was alleging fraud. It's a complete dumpster fire. It might even be too much for Alito and Thomas to take up.

There's also the fact that as noted above, even if SCOTUS ruled in Trump's favor, all that would do is allow his legal team to represent the case before a different lower judge.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1152 on: November 27, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »

I actually don't agree that Barrett doesn't come across as corrupt. The fact that she accepted a SCOTUS appointment when she did to begin with already suggests someone with what might charitably be called a consequentialist attitude towards advancing her ideological priorities, to say nothing of the fact that one of her first acts once confirmed was to join a right-wing majority in a death penalty appeal even though she became a conservative Christian darling partly for arguing that Catholic judges should recuse themselves in death penalty appeals. (This was when I decided that she was a fraud and lost my patience with all the not-even-that-conservative Catholics in my life who insist on continuing to simp for her.) Participating in an election case at all would go several steps beyond that and cement her as in fact one of the most corrupt justices in history given how much Trump signaled that he wanted her to do so when he appointed her, which is probably why she hasn't done so in any of the previous cases, but we'll see.

Gorsuch, on the other hand, I can't imagine agreeing to take up a case as utterly batsh**t as Rudy's, even though he's for whatever reason definitely way crazier on election cases than he is on everything else. So at worst I can see three votes (Alito, Thomas, Barrett) for doing something especially galling here. Likelier than not they deny cert and we've heard the end of it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1153 on: November 27, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »

The Pennsylvania case in question is really absurd. It's not a supposed vote fraud one, but some nonsense about application of equal treatments because some counties in Pennsylvania had a longer ballot curing time frame than others. Two voters in counties that had a shorter time frame were not able to cure their ballots, and rather than sue their counties to extend that, they're suing the state and arguing that this discrepancy means the entire election needs to be nullified.

If this were upheld, ANY discrepancy in treatment between counties would be grounds to nullify it. If some random rural county in Upstate New York had a shorter time frame for something than NYC, a resident of that county could sue and demand that NY's entire electoral slate be nullified. But it works both ways, a majority black county in Alabama could do this as well.

Also one of the Trump campaign's legal arguments is anything that makes vote by mail easier is a violation of this since Democrats are more likely to vote by mail. While this is true, it's also a hilarious out of context description due to the fact that's only due to Trump himself condemning vote by mail. The fact that both Democrats and Republicans have the same access to vote by mail even if only one party opts to utilize it for the most part is enough to shoot that down.

For this reason I can't see even a 9-0 SCOTUS upholding something that absurd. But it's moot because SCOTUS won't be ruling on the case itself, but rather at most the initial dismissal, by a Federal Society judge.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1154 on: November 27, 2020, 07:30:53 PM »

Charge that nasty women with libel
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1155 on: November 27, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »

The Pennsylvania case in question is really absurd. It's not a supposed vote fraud one, but some nonsense about application of equal treatments because some counties in Pennsylvania had a longer ballot curing time frame than others. Two voters in counties that had a shorter time frame were not able to cure their ballots, and rather than sue their counties to extend that, they're suing the state and arguing that this discrepancy means the entire election needs to be nullified.

I knew his case was flimsy but this is bordering on criminally insane.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1156 on: November 27, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »

I knew his case was flimsy but this is bordering on criminally insane.

One of Trump's standard business moves has been to file harassing lawsuits and often get people to settle out of court rather than go to the time and expense of fighting them.  But that's simply not going to work for the election.  He's like a poker player who constantly bluffs and gets away with it against weak competition, but against a stronger opponent he's got a busted hand and his bluff has been called.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1157 on: November 27, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1158 on: November 27, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »

Womp Womp, surprising nobody.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1159 on: November 28, 2020, 01:52:58 AM »

ill ind

« Reply #1160 on: November 28, 2020, 02:27:34 AM »

The US Elections project site - using data from the Pa Sec of State state that 2,629,183 mail in ballots were returned.  Where do these guys get their info from?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1161 on: November 28, 2020, 02:47:42 AM »

At this point I'd be fine with tossing the entire PA state legislature in jail for treason and sedition--including Dems who are accomplices through silence.
SJH
« Reply #1162 on: November 28, 2020, 06:06:02 AM »

A view from over the pond. The USA is presenting itself as a failing democracy, a banana republic where power-crazed politicians  are incapable of accepting anything other than victory. The US voting system is as good as it gets under any democracy. Of course, there will be irregularities in any system, and there will be human errors from time to time, but the charges of wholesale fraud against the American people are ridiculous. Hundreds of thousands of politicians and election official staff involved in a criminal conspiracy against the country without any evidence? Preposterous.
The most perplexing, and disappointing, aspect to the outside observer, is the sheer gutlessness of the Republican Senators for cowering down under Trump's bullying and failing to condemn baseless fraud accusations. Sometimes, the course of life doesn't go as we might personally prefer, in which case we just  have to get on with things and accept what the majority of the population decide.
The current trajectory of the USA suggests a break-up, with some States starting to secede from what has become a hate-infested union. A re-run of the Soviet Union. Ultimately, that might be best for both the US people and the rest of the world.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1163 on: November 28, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »

The US Elections project site - using data from the Pa Sec of State state that 2,629,183 mail in ballots were returned.  Where do these guys get their info from?

They're literally using the mail ballot totals from the *primary* to advance this particular lie.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1164 on: November 28, 2020, 11:59:16 AM »

Absolutely correct, but then again non deluded people been asking themselves the same question for 5 years now.

Something something seriously not literally?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1165 on: November 28, 2020, 01:35:04 PM »

Absolutely correct, but then again non deluded people been asking themselves the same question for 5 years now.

Something something seriously not literally?

Problem is, all he's doing is selling a product--his voters are the problem here. They are the ones who choose to live in an alternate universe that doesn't exist, and believe their own reality. They have no shame, and he's saying these things because to them, it's the reality they want to believe.
n1240

« Reply #1166 on: November 28, 2020, 03:19:44 PM »

They're using the primary request/return counts.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1167 on: November 28, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1168 on: November 28, 2020, 06:14:12 PM »

For whoever was dooming about Pennsylvania:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1169 on: November 28, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »

Congrats on Mike Kelly for winning reelection despite his best efforts to prevent it!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1170 on: November 28, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »

A view from over the pond. The USA is presenting itself as a failing democracy, a banana republic where power-crazed politicians  are incapable of accepting anything other than victory. The US voting system is as good as it gets under any democracy. Of course, there will be irregularities in any system, and there will be human errors from time to time, but the charges of wholesale fraud against the American people are ridiculous. Hundreds of thousands of politicians and election official staff involved in a criminal conspiracy against the country without any evidence? Preposterous.
The most perplexing, and disappointing, aspect to the outside observer, is the sheer gutlessness of the Republican Senators for cowering down under Trump's bullying and failing to condemn baseless fraud accusations. Sometimes, the course of life doesn't go as we might personally prefer, in which case we just  have to get on with things and accept what the majority of the population decide.
The current trajectory of the USA suggests a break-up, with some States starting to secede from what has become a hate-infested union. A re-run of the Soviet Union. Ultimately, that might be best for both the US people and the rest of the world.

You're preaching to the choir, my bloke.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1171 on: November 28, 2020, 08:23:36 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2020, 08:37:34 PM by Cosmopolitanism Will Win »

You're preaching to the choir, my bloke.

True, but Brits have no ground to stand on given that just last year they reelected an incompetent blowhard who attempted to illegally shut down parliament and attacked the courts when they stopped him.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1172 on: November 28, 2020, 08:35:49 PM »

Someone needs to teach Ellis what the word activist means. Dismissing a case is not generally conducive to judicial activism. Of course at this point, activism is just a buzz word for "every ruling that doesn't go one's way".
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1173 on: November 28, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »

So is certification still blocked or . . .
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1174 on: November 28, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »

So is certification still blocked or . . .

No, it is not blocked and will not be blocked.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies