Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:38:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 144838 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: November 02, 2020, 12:20:02 AM »

It doesn't have to be intentional to be voter suppression.

Above all, you are making a mistake in picking apart my argument. The suppression of the vote doesn't come from the USPS's delay in getting the ballots in, it comes from the decision of elected officials that they shouldn't be counted because of said delay.

If board of elections want to account for delays they need a hard deadline for voters to send ballots in (the deadline shouldn't be when they're received since that's totally out of the voters' hands).

At the core of the matter, however, I don't see what is the issue at the end of the day with some ballots coming in a little later if posted by election day.

You may not have been, but other people in this thread were saying that USPS is intentionally suppressing the votes by taking a bit longer to deliver them.

I think there are good reasons on each side of the debate for having Election Day as receipt deadline or as postmark by deadline. There's a tendency that people trust the process less and less accepting of the final results the longer the vote count takes after Election Day, and start to believe that the election was stolen, so that makes me wary of counting that goes on for days and days. Maybe if we were used to it regularly taking a few days before finding out who won an election, it would be different.

This is complete nonsense.  There are plenty of elections all around the country where the final results aren't known until after election day.  Here in Washington, where we have universal VBM, it's expected.  To my great frustration, Kshama Sawant was behind by ten points on election night but won a week later.

We've had some famous elections that took ages to certify all the results.  Al Franken vs. Norm Coleman, for example.  Nobody questioned the legitimacy of Franken's ultimate victory.

And even if that was true, who cares what the people think?  If a bunch of Republicans decide they can't trust the election results if my vote is counted, then my vote should be thrown out?  Utter hogwash.  If 500 people votes, you should count 500 votes, and whoever got the most votes out of those 500 is the winner.  If it takes an extra week to count all 500 votes, then it takes a week for us to find out who won.  So be it.  This is the way elections have always been done and this is the way the 2020 elections will be done, no matter how much Republicans concern troll to try to get votes they don't like thrown out.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #751 on: November 02, 2020, 04:44:21 AM »

Above all, you are making a mistake in picking apart my argument. The suppression of the vote doesn't come from the USPS's delay in getting the ballots in, it comes from the decision of elected officials that they shouldn't be counted because of said delay.

If board of elections want to account for delays they need a hard deadline for voters to send ballots in (the deadline shouldn't be when they're received since that's totally out of the voters' hands).

At the core of the matter, however, I don't see what is the issue at the end of the day with some ballots coming in a little later if posted by election day.

You may not have been, but other people in this thread were saying that USPS is intentionally suppressing the votes by taking a bit longer to deliver them.

I think there are good reasons on each side of the debate for having Election Day as receipt deadline or as postmark by deadline. There's a tendency that people trust the process less and less accepting of the final results the longer the vote count takes after Election Day, and start to believe that the election was stolen, so that makes me wary of counting that goes on for days and days. Maybe if we were used to it regularly taking a few days before finding out who won an election, it would be different.

This is complete nonsense.  There are plenty of elections all around the country where the final results aren't known until after election day.  Here in Washington, where we have universal VBM, it's expected.  To my great frustration, Kshama Sawant was behind by ten points on election night but won a week later.

We've had some famous elections that took ages to certify all the results.  Al Franken vs. Norm Coleman, for example.  Nobody questioned the legitimacy of Franken's ultimate victory.

And even if that was true, who cares what the people think?  If a bunch of Republicans decide they can't trust the election results if my vote is counted, then my vote should be thrown out?  Utter hogwash.  If 500 people votes, you should count 500 votes, and whoever got the most votes out of those 500 is the winner.  If it takes an extra week to count all 500 votes, then it takes a week for us to find out who won.  So be it.  This is the way elections have always been done and this is the way the 2020 elections will be done, no matter how much Republicans concern troll to try to get votes they don't like thrown out.

It's not nonsense.  You must not remember the reaction to the Iowa caucus taking a long time to count.  And it is not true that it is how elections have always been done; plenty of states have had longstanding deadlines that ballots have to be in by election day. 

Has there been any recent Presidential election which depended on waiting for mail in ballots to arrive in order to tell us who won?
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #752 on: November 02, 2020, 06:00:30 AM »

It's not nonsense.  You must not remember the reaction to the Iowa caucus taking a long time to count.  And it is not true that it is how elections have always been done; plenty of states have had longstanding deadlines that ballots have to be in by election day. 

Has there been any recent Presidential election which depended on waiting for mail in ballots to arrive in order to tell us who won?

2000, 1960, and 1948.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #753 on: November 02, 2020, 08:59:53 AM »

(The judge in question is Judge Sullivan, who has also been overseeing the case against Gen. Flynn.)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #754 on: November 02, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »

Any updates on the Harris case?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #755 on: November 02, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »

Not a good sign

MplsDem
Rookie

« Reply #756 on: November 02, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »

According to Elizabeth Trovall(Houston NPR reporter) on twitter, security isn't letting media into the courthouse. This is appalling.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #757 on: November 02, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »

Cornyn Crenshaw and McCaul should not be seated until those votes are counted
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #758 on: November 02, 2020, 12:20:13 PM »

Somewhat encouraging
Buzz

« Reply #759 on: November 02, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #760 on: November 02, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »

Buzz please tell me you don’t condone this
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #761 on: November 02, 2020, 12:27:33 PM »

Why even post the Trump camapign's drivel?

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #762 on: November 02, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »

Every Trump claim of misbehavior is projection.  This is no exception.
Buzz

« Reply #763 on: November 02, 2020, 12:29:56 PM »

I’m just posting information as I find it on Twitter.  Post =/= endorsement.
Lemmiwinks
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #764 on: November 02, 2020, 01:53:03 PM »

I mean, it's a pretty obvious gambit to get their supporters to the polls tomorrow to stave off a full-on shellacking.
ExSky

« Reply #765 on: November 02, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

Clearly does.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #766 on: November 02, 2020, 02:07:24 PM »

Not the worst result in the world if this is true.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #767 on: November 02, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »

Probably better than throwing them all out.+125k votes thrown out would cause a huge ruckus
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #768 on: November 02, 2020, 02:11:17 PM »

Would you be asking this if a Dem posted it?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #769 on: November 02, 2020, 02:32:02 PM »

I understand that it is frustrating to have to wait for complete results. I get it. That does not mean that throwing out votes which were sent in before Election Day isn't anti-democratic and downright evil. If you want to argue that some states should do a better job of getting their votes counted on a timely basis, by all means, do so. But it's possible to do that without condoning throwing out votes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #770 on: November 02, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »

cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #771 on: November 02, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »

Terrible analogy.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #772 on: November 02, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

Whatever. Trump has said multiple times that the only way he loses is if there's election fraud to undermine the legitimate results. If the GOP can do it, so can the Dems, especially when they're actually right.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #773 on: November 02, 2020, 04:00:06 PM »

And...Shapiro is right?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #774 on: November 02, 2020, 04:30:36 PM »

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/11/armed-groups-of-individuals-reportedly-intimidate-voters-at-lane-county-ballot-drop-off.html

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies