Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:58:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 145137 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: October 19, 2020, 08:42:29 AM »

This is exactly what will happen. And there will be very little push back.

He’ll declare early victory and immediately begin trying to disqualify mail-in ballots. The courts will back him.

Mail-in ballots, once accepted, are no different from in-person ballots. He can't just ask for them to not be counted. Stop saying this nonsense.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #551 on: October 19, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »

He’ll declare early victory and immediately begin trying to disqualify mail-in ballots. The courts will back him.
I've had it with these m*********ing Georgia doomers on this m*********ing forum.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #552 on: October 19, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »

It's just gone 7 pm Eastern and we have poll closings in Indiana, in Georgia, in Kentucky, in South Carolina, in Virginia, and in Vermont. We also have polls closing in most of Florida, although we will wait until all polls are closed in the state to make a call there. But we are able to make our first projections of the night. In Vermont, we project Joe Biden will win the state's 3 electoral votes. In Kentucky, we project Trump will carry the state's 8 electoral votes...

[Trump totters up to podium] CNN is now projecting we are leading in the electoral vote. I hereby declare victory. That's right. The earliest victory in history. We've never seen anything like it. Sorry Joe.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #553 on: October 19, 2020, 09:26:45 AM »

Mail-in ballots, once accepted, are no different from in-person ballots. He can't just ask for them to not be counted. Stop saying this nonsense.

There've been so many things "he can't do" until he does them and gets away with it.  I'm not claiming to know how it's gonna go down but I know he will do something to try and steal this election.

Maybe that makes me a doomer, but I'm scarred from 2016 and seeing polls showing Biden up doesn't mean he'll win.  I'll continue to be a doomer until Trump is no longer in the White House.  Backed into a corner, Trump (and his voters) will strike out by whatever means necessary to win this election.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #554 on: October 19, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »

For a long time political operative, Bannon seens unaware that Dems always lead the count in Florida while the GOP rises over the course of the night, either overtaking or not hours later.

Trump isn't declaring victory while down in Florida.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #555 on: October 19, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »

For a long time political operative, Bannon seens unaware that Dems always lead the count in Florida while the GOP rises over the course of the night, either overtaking or not hours later.

Trump isn't declaring victory while down in Florida.

I mean, he also predicted a 400 ECV landslide for Trump back in 2017 (or maybe it was 2018).  That would require him flipping states like WA, NY, and MD. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #556 on: October 19, 2020, 10:31:42 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2020, 10:38:41 AM by Badger »

I've had it with these m*********ing Georgia doomers on this m*********ing forum.

He's actually more right than not. The one big distinction I would make is that there will in fact be an absolute Firestorm of pushback, both in the media chuckling to themselves openly at their desks on every network but Fox, as well as among the substantial majority of Voters who voted for Biden.

And if certain republican-held swing States like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, Florida, Arizona , , Ohio, Texas, and Iowa are close enough for their legislators to declare vote fraud and certify Trump electors instead, and then have  Trump's hand-picked courts basically ran the decision through under some BS argument that the legislators  blatant disregard of  the voters of their state and certifying an alternative group of electors is there statutory and constitutional right and us any challenges are not a justiciable issue, blah blah blah, they will absolutely freaking pull another 1876 theft of the election.

I think this reveals the actual Trump re-election strategy. Get close enough and all these swing states to steal the election and throw it to his hand-picked courts. The only thing saving us from this outcome is the fact that it appears Biden is going to curb stomp Trump at this point. However, it is terrifying that If This Were A close 2016 style election, only with Biden narrowly carrying Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan by a percentage point or less, those state legislatures would probably throw out by the selectors and outright steal the election.

Your daily reminder that Trump supporters are unpatriotic election theft enablers.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #557 on: October 19, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »

No. He cannot disqualify mail-in ballots; is he going to sue the state and claim there is fraud with mail-in ballots, so therefore they can't count? The courts won't back him up on that unless it's in some ruby-red state with GOP trifectas.

You mean most swing States?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #558 on: October 19, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »

The huge risk of this strategy is that if Trump declares victory on election night with only about 120 EVs called in his favor, he's going to look ridiculous.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #559 on: October 19, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »

The huge risk of this strategy is that if Trump declares victory on election night with only about 120 EVs called in his favor, he's going to look ridiculous.

Oh, he's doing a great job of that without declaring an early victory. 
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #560 on: October 19, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2020, 10:50:36 AM by Stuart98 »

Even that won't happen; if we're getting a 413 map then Biden's going to get the lead in called electoral votes at 8 PM (something like 90-50) and not give it up for the rest of the election.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #561 on: October 19, 2020, 10:51:48 AM »

I wish I could recommend this more than once.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #562 on: October 19, 2020, 11:05:06 AM »

He’s certainly going to try, but it’ll be an “old man yells at cloud” moment
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #563 on: October 19, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #564 on: October 19, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »

More good news!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #565 on: October 19, 2020, 06:48:44 PM »

More good news!

Our luck with rulings like this and others from this year is going to run out so depressingly when Amy Hotdog Barrett is confirmed...
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #566 on: October 19, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »

More good news!

Our luck with rulings like this and others from this year is going to run out so depressingly when Amy Hotdog Barrett is confirmed...

Hopefully Dems to everything in their power to stall the ACB vote, even though she'll end up being confirmed
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #567 on: October 19, 2020, 08:48:46 PM »

Reading this thread is sad.  An entire major political party has debased itself to promoting Russian conspiracy theories and the goals of the Russian government while at the same time trying to keep fellow Americans from voting.  The GOP is treasonous. 

Make Russia Great Again!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #568 on: October 19, 2020, 09:44:42 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #569 on: October 19, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »

"Tennessee law does not allow voters to wear items bearing the name of a candidate or a political party in a polling place."

This is also true in NC. Yet, my parents mentioned seeing people wearing Trump shirts in line when they early voted, who were still allowed to vote. I suppose the rules can be glossed over sometimes?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #570 on: October 20, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »

"Tennessee law does not allow voters to wear items bearing the name of a candidate or a political party in a polling place."

This is also true in NC. Yet, my parents mentioned seeing people wearing Trump shirts in line when they early voted, who were still allowed to vote. I suppose the rules can be glossed over sometimes?

The story further notes that the law does not prohibit General political statements as opposed to clothing / buttons supporting a particular candidate or party. The campaign worker in question decided that these statements were indicative of explicit support for the Democratic party. Rather stupid as well as snow flaky
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #571 on: October 20, 2020, 07:11:45 PM »

Uniformed Miami cop spotted wearing pro-Trump mask near voting site will be disciplined
A uniformed Miami police officer was photographed sporting a protective mask with a pro-Trump slogan while on duty and voting at Government Center Tuesday morning.

The backlash from his department was swift.

Miami’s police chief, after seeing the photo posted on social media, said Officer Daniel Ubeda would be disciplined. Though exactly how had not been determined. The mayor also called the officer’s actions “inappropriate,” even if he was there to cast a ballot.

“It’s a violation of departmental orders. A police officer is supposed to be impartial,” Miami Mayor Francis Suarez said from City Hall Tuesday afternoon. “Irrespective of who the person was, whatever sign it would have been, it would’ve been problematic.”
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #572 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:56 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix