Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:35:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 142796 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: November 22, 2020, 02:52:03 AM »

Trump calls on GOP state legislatures to overturn Biden victories.

I'll bet anyone here any amount of money, that the GOP legislatures in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Georgia actually do this.
Reality check: none are in session. And the only one going into session before the EC certification deadline is Michigan and that'll be well after the results are certified.

And what's stopping Republicans in these legislature from calling a special session for the express purpose of giving Trump their states electoral votes?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1076 on: November 22, 2020, 08:27:11 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2020, 08:32:25 AM by All eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

Trump calls on GOP state legislatures to overturn Biden victories.

I'll bet anyone here any amount of money, that the GOP legislatures in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Georgia actually do this.
Reality check: none are in session. And the only one going into session before the EC certification deadline is Michigan and that'll be well after the results are certified.

And what's stopping Republicans in these legislature from calling a special session for the express purpose of giving Trump their states electoral votes?

In Michigan only the Governor can call a special session. In Pennsylvania a majority of legislators can "petition" the Governor to call one but only the Governor can actually call one and would need to sign off. In Georgia Kemp.has already rejected a special session and would need 3/5 of both houses to call one and the Republicans don't have that majority in the House. In Wisconsin a majority of each house could vote to call one but Evers could just veto any change to electoral law.

Also the Michigan Attorney General has now basically said any attempt to do so would get an indictment of the legislature leaders for election tampering. Wisconsin has a Democratic AG too (and before anyone who doesn't understand the law says it as they always do, Trump can't pardon them because it'd be state charges.)
compucomp

« Reply #1077 on: November 22, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/527067-biden-advisor-he-does-not-have-any-concern-about-trump-lawsuits

Kate Bedingfield, a top communications adviser to President-elect Joe Biden, said Sunday that Biden and his team are not concerned about President Trump’s bids to overturn the results of the presidential election in court.

“He does not have any concern,” Bedingfield said on “Fox News Sunday.” “I think what we’ve seen over the course of the last few weeks are these lawsuits… have been laughed out of court after court after court throughout the country. They are getting no traction.”

I know we're prone to dooming and bedwetting, and Trump's chances of success minimal, but if Biden truly feels this way I think it's too cavalier an attitude to take. If I were him I would be carefully monitoring these lawsuits and beefing up my law team to fight them, organizing more "Honor the Vote" protests to counter the "Stop the Steal" protests, and establishing a back-channel to police forces and the military to be warned when Trump tries to launch a coup or in the worst case launch one himself.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1078 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/527067-biden-advisor-he-does-not-have-any-concern-about-trump-lawsuits

Kate Bedingfield, a top communications adviser to President-elect Joe Biden, said Sunday that Biden and his team are not concerned about President Trump’s bids to overturn the results of the presidential election in court.

“He does not have any concern,” Bedingfield said on “Fox News Sunday.” “I think what we’ve seen over the course of the last few weeks are these lawsuits… have been laughed out of court after court after court throughout the country. They are getting no traction.”

I know we're prone to dooming and bedwetting, and Trump's chances of success minimal, but if Biden truly feels this way I think it's too cavalier an attitude to take. If I were him I would be carefully monitoring these lawsuits and beefing up my law team to fight them, organizing more "Honor the Vote" protests to counter the "Stop the Steal" protests, and establishing a back-channel to police forces and the military to be warned when Trump tries to launch a coup or in the worst case launch one himself.

They are monitoring them.  But there is 0.00000000% chance Trump is going to overturn this election.  These frivolous lawsuits are getting more attention than they deserve.
compucomp

« Reply #1079 on: November 22, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »

They are monitoring them.  But there is 0.00000000% chance Trump is going to overturn this election.  These frivolous lawsuits are getting more attention than they deserve.

The lawsuits are just one prong of the Trump strategy however. When that prong fails he will try to launch a coup, either legislative through the state legislatures, or physical using the police and the military. Biden can't be caught off guard there either and needs to prepare counters.

I honestly think the left needs to start organizing large scale "Honor The Vote" protests to counter the "Stop the Steal" protests. I read some articles saying there were small-scale ones in Michigan this week but one mistake Al Gore made in 2000 is that he "ceded the streets" during the election aftermath and only seeing MAGA protests creates a distorted perception of public opinion. If there were large Honor the Vote protests, it could both influence the state legislatures against overturning the election results and dissuade the military/police from launching a pro-Trump coup.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1080 on: November 22, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1081 on: November 22, 2020, 06:58:06 PM »

Looks like Michigan is now a willing participant in this coup attempt.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1082 on: November 22, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »

Looks like Michigan is now a willing participant in this coup attempt.

Attempt. 

Whitmer can appoint board members at will. Michigan will certify tomorrow.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #1083 on: November 22, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »

Michigan is certifying. There is nothing the legislature can do to overturn the results.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1084 on: November 22, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »

How did that guy manage to become House Speaker when he's only 32?

Still he looks exactly like someone born in 1988 who'd be totally into Republican politics. A total creep and sounds like one too. Hopefully this destroys his reputation for life. Maybe Nessel could find some nice charges to slap on him!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1085 on: November 22, 2020, 08:07:01 PM »

Also it's incredibly unlikely the Michigan Supreme Court would refuse to certify. It's nominally 4R-3D, but one of those Republicans (Snyder appointee) is basically a RINO who sided with the Democrats on multiple issues (including the redistricting commission) and was even endorsed by the state teachers union in 2018 when she was up for a full term along with two of the liberals. Another one of the Republican appointees is known as a moderate and also voted to uphold the redistricting commission.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1086 on: November 22, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »

The lawsuits are just one prong of the Trump strategy however. When that prong fails he will try to launch a coup, either legislative through the state legislatures, or physical using the police and the military. Biden can't be caught off guard there either and needs to prepare counters.

I honestly think the left needs to start organizing large scale "Honor The Vote" protests to counter the "Stop the Steal" protests. I read some articles saying there were small-scale ones in Michigan this week but one mistake Al Gore made in 2000 is that he "ceded the streets" during the election aftermath and only seeing MAGA protests creates a distorted perception of public opinion. If there were large Honor the Vote protests, it could both influence the state legislatures against overturning the election results and dissuade the military/police from launching a pro-Trump coup.

lol a coup is not going to happen. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1087 on: November 22, 2020, 09:09:39 PM »

I just realized that if Dana Nessel indicts the Michigan legislative leaders for an attempted coup, she could even indict Trump himself! And possibly people like Giuliani and Stepien.

If the charge is that Trump tried to bribe them essentially, then Trump is also guilty of offering the bribe. Once Trump is out of office she could order him extradited to Michigan!

Now granted Ron DeSantis would probably try to block the extradition and Trump might not even be in the US at that point, but it'd be a pretty fitting thing to be able to hold over him. Plus as noted if there's evidence of involvement she might be able to nail a few Trump cronies on top of that.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1088 on: November 22, 2020, 09:30:54 PM »

This image is such a good metaphor for the blatant racism that the entire GOP is participating in over something with a 0.00% chance of success.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1089 on: November 22, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »

This image is such a good metaphor for the blatant racism that the entire GOP is participating in over something with a 0.00% chance of success.

They needs prosecuted immediately.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1090 on: November 22, 2020, 11:34:35 PM »

Trump lawyer in Wisconsin wants his own vote to be thrown out, saying he and his wife voted illegally

https://www.yahoo.com/news/attorney-heading-trump-campaigns-wisconsin-015616647.html

Of course, he wants all of the votes that people who voted that way (in person absentee) to be thrown out.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1091 on: November 22, 2020, 11:43:59 PM »

Also it's incredibly unlikely the Michigan Supreme Court would refuse to certify. It's nominally 4R-3D, but one of those Republicans (Snyder appointee) is basically a RINO who sided with the Democrats on multiple issues (including the redistricting commission) and was even endorsed by the state teachers union in 2018 when she was up for a full term along with two of the liberals. Another one of the Republican appointees is known as a moderate and also voted to uphold the redistricting commission.

Also even conservative judges have been doing the right thing. Georgia SoS and governor also did the right thing (unbelievably). Maricopa County Republicans did the right thing. Amazingly, it seems like random Republican bureaucrats in Michigan whose jobs aren’t even supposed to be discretionary are the most willing participants in this coup attempt. Probably a bunch of self-important narcissistic wackos who crave attention, no wonder they like Trump. Hope they end up in jail alongside him. Absolutely despicable.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1092 on: November 22, 2020, 11:47:15 PM »

They are monitoring them.  But there is 0.00000000% chance Trump is going to overturn this election.  These frivolous lawsuits are getting more attention than they deserve.

The military hates Trump, they will not support him in any coup. Period. He probably lost the military vote and the officers/brass REALLY hate him.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1093 on: November 22, 2020, 11:51:05 PM »

How did that guy manage to become House Speaker when he's only 32?

Still he looks exactly like someone born in 1988 who'd be totally into Republican politics. A total creep and sounds like one too. Hopefully this destroys his reputation for life. Maybe Nessel could find some nice charges to slap on him!

Republicans are all batsh**t regardless of where they're from or how moderate they say they are. I said what I said.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1094 on: November 23, 2020, 12:21:13 AM »

Trump lawyer in Wisconsin wants his own vote to be thrown out, saying he and his wife voted illegally

https://www.yahoo.com/news/attorney-heading-trump-campaigns-wisconsin-015616647.html

Of course, he wants all of the votes that people who voted that way (in person absentee) to be thrown out.
Can we please stop repeating the term ‘voting illegally’ are you eligible voter in relevant electoral subdivision? Then you couldn’t have voted illegally, regardless of the procedural issues that may arise.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1095 on: November 23, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »

Democrats needs to grow some balls and basically tell the American people the truth:

Trumpists want to throw out all black votes.  

We, like, fought a Civil War over this issue. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1096 on: November 23, 2020, 06:06:24 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1097 on: November 23, 2020, 06:27:37 PM »

Insert walls-are-closing-in.gif.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1098 on: November 23, 2020, 08:25:03 PM »

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1099 on: November 23, 2020, 10:25:16 PM »

Imagine, a sitting President and the best legal minds willing to represent him = Giuliani and Powell. 

Other lawyers could get a national platform.  But seems like no-one took it because of how embarrassing their legal positions are.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies