Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:41:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 142782 times)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: November 19, 2020, 08:35:05 PM »

The Republican party is a criminal conspiracy. I am glad that the GA SOS has been able to stand up to the MAGA thugs.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1026 on: November 19, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »

The Republican party is a criminal conspiracy. I am glad that the GA SOS has been able to stand up to the MAGA thugs.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the integrity he has displayed. That concept is anathema to most other Republicans. He is actually a huge step up from Secretary of State Kemp.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1027 on: November 19, 2020, 09:27:49 PM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1028 on: November 19, 2020, 09:28:41 PM »

Pennsylvania legislators already said they wouldn't do this. I'm most concerned about Michigan here.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1029 on: November 19, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »

Anybody who took them at their word when they said they wouldn't do this is a fool.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1030 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:20 PM »

Pennsylvania legislators already said they wouldn't do this. I'm most concerned about Michigan here.

Really the biggest risks would be AZ and GA because there's no Democratic governor to veto, but Raffensperger certifies in Georgia and is clearly not into this and the AZ SOS who certifies is a Dem.  In PA, the Dem governor certifies.  Even if Michigan denies certification, it doesn't work out in the EC. 
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1031 on: November 19, 2020, 09:51:23 PM »

Our entire electoral system is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #1032 on: November 19, 2020, 09:51:42 PM »

Really the biggest risks would be AZ and GA because there's no Democratic governor to veto, but Raffensperger certifies in Georgia and is clearly not into this and the AZ SOS who certifies is a Dem.  In PA, the Dem governor certifies.  Even if Michigan denies certification, it doesn't work out in the EC. 

I do not think the worry should be certifications at the moment. My question for everybody is, for example, if the AZ and GA legislatures would pass a Trump-slate of electors, and if their governors do not object, what that throw those states into Trump's column. I apologize if I sound stupid, but with the MI situation, I was told that even if the state legislature would appoint Trump-electors, Gov. Whitmer could put Biden-electors in the EC and they would take preference.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1033 on: November 19, 2020, 09:57:39 PM »

I do not think the worry should be certifications at the moment. My question for everybody is, for example, if the AZ and GA legislatures would pass a Trump-slate of electors, and if their governors do not object, what that throw those states into Trump's column. I apologize if I sound stupid, but with the MI situation, I was told that even if the state legislature would appoint Trump-electors, Gov. Whitmer could put Biden-electors in the EC and they would take preference.

If certification happens, there will be Biden electors showing up to the EC meeting for that state, and they would take precedence over any state legislative appointed electors under the Electoral Count Act as they are based on the popular vote in the state.  So worst case scenario is 2 slates of electors if they certify.  There is language about what happens if the election "fails" in the Electoral Count Act that could potentially give more leeway to the legislature if a state never certifies, hence the focus on Michigan. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1034 on: November 19, 2020, 10:14:11 PM »

Not worried about Michigan, Whitmer has the authority to take folks off the election board and replace them (say with a Republican who has endorsed Joe Biden like a former Governor).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1035 on: November 19, 2020, 10:22:32 PM »

Not worried about Michigan, Whitmer has the authority to take folks off the election board and replace them (say with a Republican who has endorsed Joe Biden like a former Governor).

Michigan is where the backdoor legislative thing is closest to happening though.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1036 on: November 19, 2020, 10:41:51 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2020, 10:49:24 PM by Gass3268 »

Really the biggest risks would be AZ and GA because there's no Democratic governor to veto, but Raffensperger certifies in Georgia and is clearly not into this and the AZ SOS who certifies is a Dem.  In PA, the Dem governor certifies.  Even if Michigan denies certification, it doesn't work out in the EC.  

Michigan is where the backdoor legislative thing is closest to happening though.

How? It would violate Michigan law. Also:

Aka Fred Upton wants to go back to Congress:

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1037 on: November 19, 2020, 10:51:10 PM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1038 on: November 19, 2020, 10:52:59 PM »

Thank you Romney for being a sane person!
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1039 on: November 19, 2020, 10:54:01 PM »

Perhaps a turning point.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #1040 on: November 19, 2020, 11:01:17 PM »

I don't think Mitt Romney put out a statement will turn anybody's opinion is general. I mean, heck, Tucker Carlson criticized Sidney Powell over evidence of her claims tonight, and the right-wing is turning on him. So, Mitt Romney, the only GOP senator who voted to convict Trump will not turn the GOP against Trump. 
compucomp

« Reply #1041 on: November 19, 2020, 11:05:03 PM »

Indeed. Romney has proven that he is an honorable Republican.

It actually could be important that Romney made this statement in the situation where MI/WI/PA submit competing slates of electors. When the electoral votes are counted on Jan. 6, if both the House and Senate can agree on which electors are valid, then those are counted. Dems have 48 Senators in the next Senate. Romney is 49. I'm not sure how the Georgia seats work in this calculation with the runoff elections happening the previous day, let's assume Loeffler is still sitting and Purdue's seat is vacant. Then Dems need just one more senator, probably Collins or Murkowski (Edit: maybe Sasse?), to side with them, and this would basically guarantee that the "state legislature coup" would fail.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1042 on: November 19, 2020, 11:05:15 PM »

So funny how fast Mitt Romney went from being the GOP to being an outcast in his party. It's kind of sad TBH, at least in my view, to see the GOP turn against so many of it's own values so fast. Could you guys imagine Barack Obama becoming an outcast in the Democratic Party in 2024? It would be crazy. But hey, that's politics for you.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1043 on: November 19, 2020, 11:05:54 PM »

So FYI the Michigan Legislature does not go into session again until December 1, and only the Governor can call a special session. By then there will be the slate of Biden electors certified. Michigan law clearly does not allow the Legislature to unilaterally appoint their own electors and the Legislature has no role in certification of the results. The Michigan Supreme Court (nominally 4-3 conservative but one of those is basically a Snyder-appointed RINO who was even endorsed by the teachers' union with the liberals in her last election, and another is pretty moderate and broke with the other RINO to uphold the redistricting commission 4-3 back when the court was nominally 5-2) is not going to uphold any theft by Trump or ignoring state law here.

Also the Pennsylvania Legislature's last day in session is tomorrow and then they adjourn for the rest of the year. The law does state that the majority of members can "petition" the Governor for a special session but is kind of vague after that, presumably Wolf could at least delay it until after the EC votes. The PA Supreme Court is on his side after all.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1044 on: November 19, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »

Ben Sasse has been vocal too:

There are at least 4 Senators right now that would probably side with Biden.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1045 on: November 19, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »

It actually could be important that Romney made this statement in the situation where MI/WI/PA submit competing slates of electors. When the electoral votes are counted on Jan. 6, if both the House and Senate can agree on which electors are valid, then those are counted. Dems have 48 Senators in the next Senate. Romney is 49. I'm not sure how the Georgia seats work in this calculation with the runoff elections happening the previous day, let's assume Loeffler is still sitting and Purdue's seat is vacant. Then Dems need just one more senator, probably Collins or Murkowski, to side with them, and this would basically guarantee that the "state legislature coup" would fail.

I think there's a small chance Collins is salty after Democrats spent so much money against her, but I have a hard time seeing Lisa Murkowski not voting with the Democrats in this case, especially if American Democracy is at stake.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1046 on: November 19, 2020, 11:14:24 PM »

It actually could be important that Romney made this statement in the situation where MI/WI/PA submit competing slates of electors. When the electoral votes are counted on Jan. 6, if both the House and Senate can agree on which electors are valid, then those are counted. Dems have 48 Senators in the next Senate. Romney is 49. I'm not sure how the Georgia seats work in this calculation with the runoff elections happening the previous day, let's assume Loeffler is still sitting and Purdue's seat is vacant. Then Dems need just one more senator, probably Collins or Murkowski, to side with them, and this would basically guarantee that the "state legislature coup" would fail.

I think there's a small chance Collins is salty after Democrats spent so much money against her, but I have a hard time seeing Lisa Murkowski not voting with the Democrats in this case, especially if American Democracy is at stake.

In the best Dem case for the GA runoffs, Romney is enough by himself, even split and Romney and Sasse are enough, worst case (double loss with immediate seating) they need one more vote, probably Murkowsi.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1047 on: November 19, 2020, 11:15:23 PM »

Collins might be salty, but she knows she won because Maine Democrats voted for both her and Biden. I've also been under the impression that Biden and Collins have some mutual respect for one another. Not only did Biden and Collins serve in the Senate together for over a decade but Biden also never actively campaigned against her.

Probably more importantly, Collins will be one of the most influential and powerful senators in a Biden presidency. She's probably very happy going back to being the moderate New England swing voter like during the Obama years. I'd even wager there's a good chance Collins herself voted for Biden, although she probably voted third party.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1048 on: November 19, 2020, 11:17:52 PM »

Collins might be salty, but she knows she won because Maine Democrats voted for both her and Biden. I've also been under the impression that Biden and Collins have some mutual respect for one another. Not only did Biden and Collins serve in the Senate together for over a decade but Biden also never actively campaigned against her.

Probably more importantly, Collins will be one of the most influential and powerful senators in a Biden presidency. She's probably very happy going back to being the moderate New England swing voter like during the Obama years. I'd even wager there's a good chance Collins herself voted for Biden.

That's probably true; I think it'll be quite interesting to see how she behaves under a Biden administration. My guess is that she'll generally be respectful towards Biden, but goes against congressional Ds a lot. She could very well end up being the "tipping point" senator, which would make her very powerful.
compucomp

« Reply #1049 on: November 19, 2020, 11:18:48 PM »

In the best Dem case for the GA runoffs, Romney is enough by himself, even split and Romney and Sasse are enough, worst case (double loss with immediate seating) they need one more vote, probably Murkowsi.

The runoff election happens the day before the electoral vote counting though. So there's no way the result would be certified in time. Based on the fact that Perdue's term expired with the start of the new Congress and that Loeffler's term is still active, I guessed that Loeffler would have a seat and Perdue's seat would be vacant, but maybe Brian Kemp would appoint Perdue or some Republican placeholder to fill the vacancy until the runoff is certified. In that case the Dems would need two additional R defectors, two of Sasse, Collins, and Murkowski probably.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies