Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:19:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006  (Read 14211 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »

We can amend the Puerto Rico act to include the Virgin Islands with it.

Not really, what we could do is have another bill that would allow the VI to have a vote to see whether they want to join Puerto Rico in statehood.

But I should say that my original bill back in July had the VI with it and Ford (then GM) had people in the VI demonstrating against being in a state with Puerto Rico because the culture is different.

I echo Ford's comments about combining the VI and Puerto Rico.  The same thing will happen if such legislation is passed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 03:58:16 PM »

Just make the Vergines a state of their own.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 04:15:56 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2006, 06:20:13 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

I introduce this amendment.

VI. Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef and Wake Island shall be part of the state of Pacifica.

This amendment would add all the uninhabited islands in the Pacific into this state so if Pacifica does become a state we'd have no territories left in the Pacific. This would also add a few military bases to Pacifica giving it more importance.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »

Abstain on the previous amendment - Bacon King and hughento had good comments on this issue.

Aye on the latest amendment.

And let me state that I support making the Virgin Islands into their own state.

{ooc} OK, I've avoided studying for my final exam long enough Tongue Yes, this week and next are Finals week for me so if I miss the odd vote you now know why...{/ooc}
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 06:23:43 PM »

Would there be a way to just admit states by legislative act, without leaving it to fictional referenda?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »

Would there be a way to just admit states by legislative act, without leaving it to fictional referenda?

Yes, with the amendment we have in the Senate we could just admit states.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 06:34:20 PM »

There is no constitutional requirement for a referendum. "The Senate may by law admit new States to the Republic of Atlasia" (Amdt. V).
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 06:53:14 PM »

There is no constitutional requirement for a referendum. "The Senate may by law admit new States to the Republic of Atlasia" (Amdt. V).

Excellent.  Let's just do that, then.  Would a Senator be willing to introduce the following amendment?

Section I of this Bill shall be changed to:

The commonwealths of Guam, Atlasian Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands are hereby entered in the Union of Atlasia as a new state of Pacifica.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 06:54:31 PM »

In terms of the Virgin Islands, is it relevant that some are US territories and some are UK territories?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 07:21:06 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2006, 07:23:45 PM by SoFA Ernest »

If you insist on ending territorial status for the uninhabnited islands of the Pacific, please place Midway and Palmyra in the State of Hawaii. (Indeed Palmyra has the distinction of currently being the only incorporated territory of the United States in real life.)  Midway is the westernmost of the Hawaiian Islands and Palmyra was part of the Territory of Hawaii prior to Hawaiian statehood.  It would also make more sense for Kingman and Johnston to be made part of Hawaii than Pacifica.

Also note that the Marshall Islands are likely to object to the incorporation of Wake into an Atlasian state since they claim it. And Navassa is claimed by Haiti.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »

I would still like to give Atlasian Samoa the ability to decline statehood alongside the other territories.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 05:08:51 AM »

I've been thinking about Atlasia's Pacific territories en masse. Would it be feasible to add them to the state of Hawaii. Are Polynesian and Micronesian cultures so dissimilar?

Until 1831, when the French explorer Jules Dumont D'Urville distinguished between Polynesians and Micronesians, I understand all Pacific islands were collectively named "Polynesia"

As far as the Virgin Islands are concerned, offer them to the option to join the state of Puerto Rico. However, they are culturally dissmilar. Perhaps rename the state 'Caribbea', should this happen?

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 06:23:17 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2006, 06:33:58 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

I have changed my amendment per Ernest's request and took Midway and Palmyra out of the amendment but insist on leaving the other territories (Kingman and Johnson in).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 06:34:47 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

VI. Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef and Wake Island shall be part of the state of Pacifica.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 06:36:05 AM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 07:07:08 AM »

Aye

'Hawk'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2006, 01:46:30 PM »

Aye
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »

Aye

I'm still unsure about the whole bill though. If Q's amendment is accepted, however, I will most certainly vote against this piece of legislation. I will not stand for Atlasia annexing whatever territories we feel like without the citizens of the respective territories having a vote on the issue.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2006, 02:47:52 PM »

If Q's amendment is accepted, however, I will most certainly vote against this piece of legislation. I will not stand for Atlasia annexing whatever territories we feel like without the citizens of the respective territories having a vote on the issue.

My amendment would actually serve to put the decision in the hands of more people: 10 Senators as opposed to 1 GM.

The referenda are fictional, anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2006, 02:54:49 PM »

If Q's amendment is accepted, however, I will most certainly vote against this piece of legislation. I will not stand for Atlasia annexing whatever territories we feel like without the citizens of the respective territories having a vote on the issue.

My amendment would actually serve to put the decision in the hands of more people: 10 Senators as opposed to 1 GM.

Everything created by the GM is fictional yet we depend on certain pieces of information from him, correct? The idea of ten Atlasian Senators having the only authority over whether or not these areas should become part of our country does not sit well with me.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2006, 03:05:20 PM »

Everything created by the GM is fictional yet we depend on certain pieces of information from him, correct? The idea of ten Atlasian Senators having the only authority over whether or not these areas should become part of our country does not sit well with me.

If it would make the difference between your voting for and voting against this bill, Senator, I would withdraw my proposal for an amendment.

By the way, welcome to the Senate!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2006, 03:10:26 PM »

If it would make the difference between your voting for and voting against this bill, Senator, I would withdraw my proposal for an amendment.

By the way, welcome to the Senate!

I don't want this to seem childish but, yes, I would vote against this bill unless your amendment fails. Withdrawing it would clearly help. Let me make clear, though, that I am not sure whether or not I will support the bill even without your amendment. I am stuck on this one.

Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to a great time here.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »

Aye on the Amendment.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2006, 07:04:04 PM »

Aye on the amendment.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2006, 07:09:46 PM »

This amendment has passed.

Anyway I have a new amendment to introduce also based on Ernest's earlier suggestions.

VII: Palmyra Atoll and Midway Island shall become part of the state of Hawaii

This amendment makes it so even if Pacifica doesn't vote for statehood these territories will become part of Hawaii.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies